British Speedway Forum
jbell1995

Plymouth Gladiators 2024

9 hours ago, Essex said:

With my limited knowledge surely Dan Thompson is not a heat leader nothing personal but this doesn't look a very strong team but maybe I'm talking nonsense,Mike 0310 the voice of Plymouth knowledge what do you think ?

I’m worried at the moment.maybe my worries are misplaced but when you see the teams Redcar,Glasgow, Poole and Oxford have put together then if the rumoured team is true we will be cannon fodder again for the above. Hopefully  there are a few surprises to come but I worry if not.

1 minute ago, Mike0310 said:

I’m worried at the moment.maybe my worries are misplaced but when you see the teams Redcar,Glasgow, Poole and Oxford have put together then if the rumoured team is true we will be cannon fodder again for the above. Hopefully  there are a few surprises to come but I worry if not.

Don't worry I'm sure Plymouth team will be built to a 38pt average the same as everyone else. 

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, lewy said:

Don't worry I'm sure Plymouth team will be built to a 38pt average the same as everyone else. 

Then my worries will be misplaced, I look forward to hearing the rest of the team.

14 hours ago, Chef1 said:

Troy B number 1

Pearson number 6

Newman instead of Gilkes 

Pearson not at Plymouth next year 

13 minutes ago, Bandit59 said:

Pearson not at Plymouth next year 

I believe he's Glasgow bound,he's good value on his average decent little rider.

• Like 1

Totally agree with lewy on this one good rider who will only improve shame he’s not back with us.

1 hour ago, lewy said:

I believe he's Glasgow bound,he's good value on his average decent little rider.

Starting in main body would be my concern. In fairness haven't seen much of him but came over with the traditional next Darcy reputation so hope comes true!

6 minutes ago, Jaizer said:

Starting in main body would be my concern. In fairness haven't seen much of him but came over with the traditional next Darcy reputation so hope comes true!

. Do you mean as in he recommended him? As don't think there will ever be another Darcy. 

Edited by lisa-colette

5 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

. Do you mean as in he recommended him? As don't think there will ever be another Darcy. 

There will never be another Pele but every half decent Brazilian since he retired gets labelled the next one. It's a lazy stereotype is essentially what I was getting at

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, lewy said:

Never forget Workington won the League in 2018 with 6 riders between 7.5 and around 6.0.

Plymouth will be a new track. If they have any sense they'll only allow home riders to practise on it. 

Barker was as good as anyone round old track, Bowtell rode like a 3td heat leader / top second string round there. 

If as rumoured they add Thompsons and Newman they can feasibly have solid second strings and always have decent reserves. 

They say Barker is 2nd highest average, a decent No 1 and a decent 4 pointer and a fully fit Newman, no one would feel comfortable going there. 

Fans desperately want to see home wins.. If they go to heat 14 or 15 so much the better. 

Excitement and not massive points costs a Promoters dream

No 55 to 60 point pay outs at home, average 25 to 30 point pay days away.. In with squeak of play offs... What's not to like. 

Fair and not rigged local Cup and Shield draws would be good for them too, not Poole 3 times in first 4 matches. 

In fact surely no one would begrudge Plymouth v Worky as a Cup draw... Two Saturday tracks, and give both a crack at progressing. 

On 12/9/2023 at 1:08 PM, torpointfanatic22 said:

Really like Alfie returning. Great bloke and really good at Plymouth, away form has improved over the last season too.

Have to admit i thought Alfie would have been in demand on his average and may have been lured away by 'bigger' clubs. Hope the rest of the team looks as ambitious. 

On 12/10/2023 at 8:56 AM, lewy said:

Someone 'in the know' mentioned 36.75!!;);)

1 hour ago, Skidder1 said:

Someone 'in the know' mentioned 36.75!!;);)

Would you like to put £100 wager on it's not 36.75 for the ben fund.

1 hour ago, lewy said:

Would you like to put £100 wager on it's not 36.75 for the ben fund.

It's not my suggestion. It was someone 'in the know' who goes to both Wimborne Road and the Coliseum regularly. I'll ask him when I see him next but unlikely to be til new year and I guess the whole 1-7 will be announced by then?!:approve:

Edited by Skidder1

11 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

It's not my suggestion. It was someone 'in the know' who goes to both Wimborne Road and the Coliseum regularly. I'll ask him when I see him next but unlikely to be til new year and I guess the whole 1-7 will be announced by then?!:approve:

Gary May then :rofl: