British Speedway Forum
jbell1995

Plymouth Gladiators 2024

15 hours ago, Diamonds85 said:

I would love that, but will he ever actually ride outside of Italy again?

He's from Argentina.  Italy was just a flag of convenience to let him race in Europe without a visa.   Since Brexit, l dunno...... 

1 hour ago, crescent girl said:

He's from Argentina.  Italy was just a flag of convenience to let him race in Europe without a visa.   Since Brexit, l dunno...... 

I know that. Nico is one of my favourite riders of all time. But from what I'm aware, he's got a really good job and life in Italy and only races there now and wouldn't consider a return elsewhere. Or that is what I last heard a few years ago.

17 minutes ago, Diamonds85 said:

I know that. Nico is one of my favourite riders of all time. But from what I'm aware, he's got a really good job and life in Italy and only races there now and wouldn't consider a return elsewhere. Or that is what I last heard a few years ago.

What would his average be?

39 minutes ago, lewy said:

Is there definitely going to be another heat leader added to the ones already announced? Apart from Barker can’t see many race wins if I’m being totally honest. 

48 minutes ago, lewy said:

The last time he rode in the second tier was with Somerset in 2019 where he finished with a 7.82 average. I've lost all touch with the rules of British speedway (much like the organisers it seems) so I'm unsure if he'd be due a reduction for being out for multiple seasons or not?

38 minutes ago, Diamonds85 said:

The last time he rode in the second tier was with Somerset in 2019 where he finished with a 7.82 average. I've lost all touch with the rules of British speedway (much like the organisers it seems) so I'm unsure if he'd be due a reduction for being out for multiple seasons or not?

He hadn't t been out for ANY seasons. He has ridden every season, just not in the UK. So no 8% deductions applicable.

Edited by arnieg
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, crescent girl said:

He is but lives in Italy with his Italian wife and young family. He didn''t like travelling before the family came along so I can't see him back now.

Would be a great signing on a 7 at Plymouth though. Going with Rowe, Newman and Gilkes as the last 3 with just Barker as a known HL is very risky but would mean 2 strong reserves all year - is that enough to compensate for his 13&15?

10 minutes ago, DJC said:

He is but lives in Italy with his Italian wife and young family. He didn''t like travelling before the family came along so I can't see him back now.

Would be a great signing on a 7 at Plymouth though. Going with Rowe, Newman and Gilkes as the last 3 with just Barker as a known HL is very risky but would mean 2 strong reserves all year - is that enough to compensate for his 13&15?

You can't win meetings if you can't win races. If that was the team, we'd be nowhere near the playoffs

16 minutes ago, torpointfanatic22 said:

You can't win meetings if you can't win races. If that was the team, we'd be nowhere near the playoffs

Would see Barker and Rowe in the big heats against

Harris&Worrall/ King&Wright/ Nicholls&Masters, Lawson&Brennan or the Cooks. 

Scary thought, especially away from home

8 minutes ago, DJC said:

Would see Barker and Rowe in the big heats against

Harris&Worrall/ King&Wright/ Nicholls&Masters, Lawson&Brennan or the Cooks. 

Scary thought, especially away from home

Barker beat a good number of those riders to come 3rd in british final and I would back him against any of them at Plymouth. 

1 hour ago, arnieg said:

He hadn't t been out for ANY seasons. He has ridden every season, just not in the UK. So no 8% deductions applicable.

Unless your name's Maciej Janowski?

39 minutes ago, torpointfanatic22 said:

Technically you can, 15 x 3-3s then a 5-4 "stupidheat" win

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, DJC said:

The problem is, I don't think they would have two strong reserves all year (unless Joe T improves). If they had Bowtell & a 5.00 reserve, I'd say you could cover for lack of heat leader strength, but not when built 1+ points below the limit.

Thompson really should be a strong reserve up against some of the inexperience named so far.

Edited by Bagpuss

54 minutes ago, DJC said:

Reading what's been said about team spirit at Plymouth last season by management I can't see Gilkes being back there. 

Can't see Anders either, how's he going to get from Plymouth on a Saturday night to Poland next day? 

It's not like riding at a track near a decent Airport.. He'd have a 3 to 4 hour drive at least to Bristol or Birmingham or Luton 

Re winning heats Strong reserves give good chances in heats 2 and 8 and to a degree 14. Fair enough to be strong in 13 and 15 but if you're losing heat 2 and 8 just as important