British Speedway Forum
jbell1995

Plymouth Gladiators 2024

1984 British Final at Coventry: World of Sport coverage:

49 minutes ago, StevePark said:

1984 British Final at Coventry: World of Sport coverage:

Great Memories.Thanks

Posted (edited)

Remakable performance by Carter, he certainly had a lot of courage on that day.  And, wasn't it 'just' his right leg that was broken, though it was plenty enough, think he crashed heavily again the next year so didn't make the '85 World Final on his home track Bradford (which must have been - literally gutting) & don't think his leg ever did heal fully.....

Edited by martinmauger
spelling 2x

20 hours ago, Diamonds85 said:

Nearly 20 years before I was even born... :unsure:

21 years after I was born.:blink:

Now that was "proper speedway..." not the rubbish we get served nowadays!

• Like 2

On ‎3‎/‎3‎/‎2024 at 1:36 PM, szkocjasid said:

One downside of this, apart from starting off weaker, is when Covatti is fit, will he be able to return to the team under the limit? If the other riders increase their averages, could block his return to the team.

Don't forget, team averages increase by 0.5 point per month from 1st May

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TheScotsman said:

Now that was "proper speedway..." not the rubbish we get served nowadays!

Hmmmmm was it really any better though? Not sure myself, probably seemed it as stadiums were packed full with great atmospheres but the actual action was no better IMO.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Bagpuss said:

Hmmmmm was it really any better though? Not sure myself, probably seemed it as stadiums were packed full with great atmospheres but the actual action was no better IMO.

Begs the question why were the stadiums "packed full" then?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StevePark said:

Because houses cost £3.50 and wages were somewhat more aligned with cost of living, unlike today? Probably the main reason...

Other factors include lack of media coverage and gob rodfrey

On 3/3/2024 at 1:36 PM, szkocjasid said:

One downside of this, apart from starting off weaker, is when Covatti is fit, will he be able to return to the team under the limit? If the other riders increase their averages, could block his return to the team.

6 hours ago, IronScorpion said:

Don't forget, team averages increase by 0.5 point per month from 1st May

Not forgotten about that, just that teams should average out at 42 but the increase stops at 40, so could get the situation where wesl teams can't strengthen up.

1 hour ago, StevePark said:

Probably a cheaper time it's more commercial now and more costs involved in running a team,the racing is still the same maybe a few seconds faster but your Ivan Maugers,Super Simmo,Barry Briggs etc are your Doyle's janowski and Zmarzlik of today.

So back to the topic at hand, with Plymouth set to host their first meeting at home to Poole in 3 and a half weeks. Will we have a new number one announced (temporary or permanent) and will the new look track be ready to go to give the Plymouth lads a chance to actually ride it before Poole do!? I see on the Plymouth forum someone suggesting the track won't be ready until May, not sure if that's true or speculation but maybe that would allow Covatti to be fit in time to prevent Plymouth needing a replacement?

All very quiet at the moment, which isn't necessarily a good thing!

12 hours ago, StevePark said:

Mainly, in my opinion, because people didn’t have the vast amount of recreational choices that are available today

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, ragdoll64 said:

Mainly, in my opinion, because people didn’t have the vast amount of recreational choices that are available today

Agreed, but they (seem to) choose those other recreational choice, rather than attend speedway.

Apologies for helping to go "off thread"!!