British Speedway Forum
jbell1995

Plymouth Gladiators 2024

16 hours ago, Devil said:

Anders Rowe was at the press and practice with Jacob Hook but no announcement of a number 1 yet, still actively looking

1 hour ago, szkocjasid said:

I think Ben Morley is the best option. Just be honest & say he might not have a team spot for long, but as you say it's an opportunity to put himself in the shop window for another team, till Covatti is fit / another rider is found.

Even then he might keep his team place if he's out performing Hook or Joe T?

IMO Rowe would be a better option.

BTW did they ever contact Bradley Wilson-Dean?

How about tempting Hans A out of retirement for a short spell ??

6 hours ago, cyclone said:

Bradley Wilson dean was looking for a race van last week which maybe suggests that’s a possibility 

Every suggestion on here has been tried I believe and for a number of different reasons from money to availability or just not wanting to do championship no joy.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, lewy said:

No facility allowed. 

Classic! In a day when the sport is on its arse, supporters are walking away year on year and tracks struggle to survive, the authorities would rather hang Plymouth and their fans out to dry rather than work together to provide a solution.

If Saturday goes ahead it will likely be a mauling and all that does is see more supporters walk away. It will be the same in each meeting. I don’t know when Covatti may be fit but based on what I’ve seen and am aware of, this is a problem that Plymouth didnt cause and have tried every avenue they can to resolve (without financially crippling themselves) and yet the authorities are sticking two fingers up rather than offering support. Classic reaction from a body who has their own interests at the heart of what they do.

It’s not the authorities fault either, I’m acutely aware of that but the lack of flexibility is piss poor

• Like 2

8 hours ago, cyclone said:

Rowe is a better option, agreed. I more meant Morley is the strongest rider who is likely to sign. If Rowe wanted a Champ spot, surely he'd have signed for Workington months ago?

But there's always a possibility he'd take a short term spot?

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, torpointfanatic22 said:

Classic! In a day when the sport is on its arse, supporters are walking away year on year and tracks struggle to survive, the authorities would rather hang Plymouth and their fans out to dry rather than work together to provide a solution.

If Saturday goes ahead it will likely be a mauling and all that does is see more supporters walk away. It will be the same in each meeting. I don’t know when Covatti may be fit but based on what I’ve seen and am aware of, this is a problem that Plymouth didnt cause and have tried every avenue they can to resolve (without financially crippling themselves) and yet the authorities are sticking two fingers up rather than offering support. Classic reaction from a body who has their own interests at the heart of what they do.

It’s not the authorities fault either, I’m acutely aware of that but the lack of flexibility is piss poor

Plymouth have had long enough to either sign one rider as a direct replacement for Covatti or more than one signing if that were needed.

I applaud the decision to not allow Plymouth a facility.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, screm said:

Plymouth have had long enough to either sign one rider as a direct replacement for Covatti or more than one signing if that were needed.

I applaud the decision to not allow Plymouth a facility.

I really hope that is an attempt at satire.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hamster00 said:

In the UK we nowadays we have to blame somebody for every scenario. In this case it's the lack of a quality rider to complete Plymouth's team, the blame must surely lie with the person or persons that have set the 2024 points limit.  Have we still got any pay-caps in place as that's also something people/teams seem to ignore!

29 minutes ago, Hamster00 said:

Why?? Its the right decision!! How does not abiding to rules help with credibility!!  

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Marky_Mark said:

Ok so they literally have to sign someone even if it’s a 2 point national league rider?

Is there a British rider without a team who could sign temporarily whilst they keep looking for a heat leader? I mean it gives that rider a chance to impress either Plymouth or another team for when a chance comes up to replace an injured or out of form rider?

I guess Ben Morley is the obvious choice? Or maybe James Wright?

No they can use guests (but only up to 75% of Nico's average) - Kyle Newman looks the obvious choice, followed by Connor Mountain

47 minutes ago, arnieg said:

No they can use guests (but only up to 75% of Nico's average) - Kyle Newman looks the obvious choice, followed by Connor Mountain

Kyle will be very busy then!

• Haha 4
  • Confused 1

55 minutes ago, arnieg said:

This is wrong on so many levels, Kyle is a Plymouth rider so I doubt he could guest for his own team, no facility has been granted so that isn't an option either. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, phillipsr said:

Why?? It’s the right decision!! How does not abiding to rules help with credibility!!  

Because I think it seems quite clear Plymouth have attempted to sign a variety of riders of which none have worked out for various reasons.

I don’t think anyone either wants to see the club bankrupt themselves either signing a rider or because they are completely uncompetitive and fans dwindle away and never come back.

Covattis injury is an unfortunate thing that is obviously not the clubs fault, I understand that the rules are the rules and it is not the authorities fault either but I feel in instances like this there should be some flexibility.

I'm not a Plymouth fan either but I think it would be in the best interests of the sport to be flexible as surely a competitive and potentially profitable club is good for the sport no? Or would you rather see them go the way of so many clubs in recent years?