British Speedway Forum
jbell1995

Plymouth Gladiators 2024

2 hours ago, torpointfanatic22 said:

Classic! In a day when the sport is on its arse, supporters are walking away year on year and tracks struggle to survive, the authorities would rather hang Plymouth and their fans out to dry rather than work together to provide a solution.

If Saturday goes ahead it will likely be a mauling and all that does is see more supporters walk away. It will be the same in each meeting. I don’t know when Covatti may be fit but based on what I’ve seen and am aware of, this is a problem that Plymouth didnt cause and have tried every avenue they can to resolve (without financially crippling themselves) and yet the authorities are sticking two fingers up rather than offering support. Classic reaction from a body who has their own interests at the heart of what they do.

It’s not the authorities fault either, I’m acutely aware of that but the lack of flexibility is piss poor

1 hour ago, Hamster00 said:

I really hope that is an attempt at satire.

1 hour ago, phillipsr said:

Why?? Its the right decision!! How does not abiding to rules help with credibility!!  

Have to agree with @phillipsr if you allow a team leeway to break the rules because of injuries where do you draw the line? If Woffinden is injured and Sheffield don't think Danny King is a strong enough replacement, are they allowed to use Doyle, no - becaus that's against the rules. You might consider it tough on Plymouth, but the promoters themselves made up the ruling that they have to agree to.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hamster00 said:

Because I think it seems quite clear Plymouth have attempted to sign a variety of riders of which none have worked out for various reasons.

I don’t think anyone either wants to see the club bankrupt themselves either signing a rider or because they are completely uncompetitive and fans dwindle away and never come back.

Covattis injury is an unfortunate thing that is obviously not the clubs fault, I understand that the rules are the rules and it is not the authorities fault either but I feel in instances like this there should be some flexibility.

I'm not a Plymouth fan either but I think it would be in the best interests of the sport to be flexible as surely a competitive and potentially profitable club is good for the sport no? Or would you rather see them go the way of so many clubs in recent years?

It just opens a can of worms.IMO.

1 hour ago, arnieg said:

No they can use guests (but only up to 75% of Nico's average) - Kyle Newman looks the obvious choice, followed by Connor Mountain

31 minutes ago, paulboy said:

Kyle will be very busy then!

21 minutes ago, lewy said:

This is wrong on so many levels, Kyle is a Plymouth rider so I doubt he could guest for his own team, no facility has been granted so that isn't an option either. 

I'm pretty sure @arnieg forgot Newman was a Plymouth rider whe he posted that, either that or it was a joke.

6 minutes ago, Hamster00 said:

Because I think it seems quite clear Plymouth have attempted to sign a variety of riders of which none have worked out for various reasons.

I don’t think anyone either wants to see the club bankrupt themselves either signing a rider or because they are completely uncompetitive and fans dwindle away and never come back.

Covattis injury is an unfortunate thing that is obviously not the clubs fault, I understand that the rules are the rules and it is not the authorities fault either but I feel in instances like this there should be some flexibility.

I'm not a Plymouth fan either but I think it would be in the best interests of the sport to be flexible as surely a competitive and potentially profitable club is good for the sport no? Or would you rather see them go the way of so many clubs in recent years?

Totally understand the points you are making, but the time to plan for these situations are at the AGM. Did anyone point out a lack of heat leaders to cover for injuries? If they didnt think ahead then they suffer the consequences. As soon as one club is allowed flexibity, they'll all want it.

11 minutes ago, Hamster00 said:

Id rather see the rules followed and the sport have some form of credibility than just ignore them because someone put effort in (how much is unknown) whats to stop other rules being ignored as long as theres some effort   

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

Have to agree with @phillipsr if you allow a team leeway to break the rules because of injuries where do you draw the line? If Woffinden is injured and Sheffield don't think Danny King is a strong enough replacement, are they allowed to use Doyle, no - becaus that's against the rules. You might consider it tough on Plymouth, but the promoters themselves made up the ruling that they have to agree to.

Sheffield have started their season with Tai already riding so would get the appropriate facility? So I’m not quite sure how that is the same as Plymouth losing a rider for the first portion of the season before it’s even started?

1 minute ago, phillipsr said:

Id rather see the rules followed and the sport have some form of credibility than just ignore them because someone put effort in (how much is unknown) whats to stop other rules being ignored as long as theres some effort   

I personally think a team starting a season with only 6 riders and say having to use an NDL guest to cover it completes strips away any ‘credibility’ the sport has.

I feel the sport has spent a lot of time (Mainly Phil Morris) trying to restore some sort of credibility and excitement to British Speedway recently and I don’t think it’s good for the sport to put a club in a potentially untenable position moving forward.

Promoting a speedway team and making it work in this day and age seems a tough gig at the best of times and the sport has often cut its nose off to spite its face in recent years, I feel this is potentially one of those times and I’d be really disappointed if Plymouth struggled financially or otherwise due to this.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Hamster00 said:

Sheffield have started their season with Tai already riding so would get the appropriate facility? So I’m not quite sure how that is the same as Plymouth losing a rider for the first portion of the season before it’s even started?

It's not the same, just pointing out if you are flexible for one rule, clubs may then want flexibility for other rules. Where do you draw the line?  

Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

I'm pretty sure @arnieg forgot Newman was a Plymouth rider whe he posted that, either that or it was a joke.

The former   - but it would be worth a go. Maybe Newman could guest for Covatti, and then they could have R/R for Newman!

Edited by arnieg
  • Haha 2

It surely begs a far more serious question that is at the heart of the long term growth and future of the sport. 

Are the BSPL effectively "closing the shop at 15 or 16 Clubs in the professional leagues.?? 

Where are the riders to fill Wolverhampton, Peterborough, Swindon, Rye House, Coventry and any others who may be seeking a way back in to the sport?? 

6 man teams may create 2 new teams across a league each but that's assuming an increasing number of over 35s can be adequately replaced. 

It's a terrifying scenario to consider. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hamster00 said:

I personally think a team starting a season with only 6 riders and say having to use an NDL guest to cover it completes strips away any ‘credibility’ the sport has.

I feel the sport has spent a lot of time (Mainly Phil Morris) trying to restore some sort of credibility and excitement to British Speedway recently and I don’t think it’s good for the sport to put a club in a potentially untenable position moving forward.

Promoting a speedway team and making it work in this day and age seems a tough gig at the best of times and the sport has often cut its nose off to spite its face in recent years, I feel this is potentially one of those times and I’d be really disappointed if Plymouth struggled financially or otherwise due to this.

Phil Morris is only responsible to/for the Premiership, as CEO.

As far as the Championship teams are concerned only Glasgow and Poole voted against the reduction to 38 points.

The current rider shortage of UK riders is down to one thing Grasstrack both adult & schoolboy it has become almost none exististent in the UK & that is where 80% of all British riders came from. The BSPL should work with the ACU to encourage a revival of ACU clubs to run Grasstrack meetings.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, lewy said:

Lies

I guess you'ld know all about them Lewy!

That's exactly what I was told, face to face, when renewing our sponsorship deal!!

42 minutes ago, Ghosty said:

The current rider shortage of UK riders is down to one thing Grasstrack both adult & schoolboy it has become almost none exististent in the UK & that is where 80% of all British riders came from. The BSPL should work with the ACU to encourage a revival of ACU clubs to run Grasstrack meetings.

Maybe 80% in the south of England.  The rest of the UK has always found riders from a much wider pool. 

11 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

I guess you'ld know all about them Lewy!

That's exactly what I was told, face to face, when renewing our sponsorship deal!!

I was told different when doing my sponsorship deal aswell,and you been outed for lying on numerous occasions :nono:

3 minutes ago, lewy said:

I was told different when doing my sponsorship deal aswell,and you been outed for lying on numerous occasions :nono:

Does it really matter it’s been decided end off.You or Skidder1 didn’t have say.!!!