British Speedway Forum
jbell1995

Plymouth Gladiators 2024

Since my beloved childhood Diamonds closed I have grown more attached to Plymouth (a team I liked before the Diamonds closed anyway) and more recently Glasgow (Love the city, follow their ice hockey team, always up in the west coast of Scotland) it would be hard for me to choose between the two... But Plymouth are definitely my 'south' team :D

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, jbell1995 said:

Sadly because it fits an agenda used by a minority of the people on this platform. Sadly, this minority won't be happy until they see another club fold and close, without realising the knock on effect of such a decision. It would leave an entire region, not just a city/town - the whole of Cornwall, Devon, Somerset and Gloucestershire without a team. Just let that sink in for a minute? Millions of people without a team to support, they'd rather that happened than see the Gladiators make a good go at things. I really feel for Mark, he's constantly getting battered from all sides (including by riders from other clubs!) despite doing what he can with what he's got. People are more than entitled to their views I get that, hence why we are on a public forum discussing it however most of the time, it's not constructive, it's not helpful and it's hurtful what people say about the Gladiators....

However, it's us against the world and we're going to embrace that!!

"No one likes us, we don't care... We are Plymouth..."

Speedway isn't football where supporters of certain clubs dislike certain teams so much so it's a punch up when they come to town, this is speedway and the more clubs the better no one well certainly me doesn't want any club to fold and am not unlike some on here against any club.These people are not true fans of speedway doubt if they remember Wimbledon,White City,Hackney, maybe Exeter and Cradley Heath but my point is then everyone loved the competition and seeing certain teams visit their track with their star No 1 rider because unlike today your No 1 was that.Here's hoping Plymouth do well no better fan  than mike 0310 but have to say their team looks weak where's the rider control board I think that's what it was called ( what's that I hear some ask ) who decided where a top rider must ride.Rambling now so time to go ........

I have a holiday caravan in South Devon and, as well as following my home town team, I have followed Exeter Falcons and the Plymouth Devils/Gladiators as well as the Somerset Rebels. At the Arena I have seen some cracking meetings over the years including those when Plymouth started up again and were in speedways third tier. The track might be a bit tricky but I've seen some spectacular overtaking and there's no time for the riders to get strung out like I saw at the NSS on Monday. If anyone reading this is having a holiday in South Devon or North Cornwall this summer, I urge you to go to the Coliseum for a good night's speedway. There's plenty of free parking in the Coypool Park and Ride Car Park and plenty of seating!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Looks like Covatti is planning to ride on Sunday in the Itallian Championship round, so may be back sooner than expected.

3 hours ago, arnieg said:

Looks like Covatti is planning to ride on Sunday in the Itallian Championship round, so may be back sooner than expected.

He may have to wait out the 28 days granted for the facility.     Which only started last night (the first effective meeting) after so many rain-offs.

26 minutes ago, crescent girl said:

He may have to wait out the 28 days granted for the facility.     Which only started last night (the first effective meeting) after so many rain-offs.

But he's in a named 7 and has an average that fits, perhaps he could guest for himself ;<)

1 hour ago, crescent girl said:

I'm 99.99% sure that won't be the case, the facility is there if Plymouth need a guest / to use r/r but if Covatti came back or they found a replacement, would've need to wait till the 28 days is up.

But being Speedway, you just never know!

1 hour ago, arnieg said:

But he's in a named 7 and has an average that fits, perhaps he could guest for himself ;<)

If that's not allowed, imagine he guested for the opposition against Plymouth lol!

• Haha 2

45 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

I'm 99.99% sure that won't be the case, the facility is there if Plymouth need a guest / to use r/r but if Covatti came back or they found a replacement, would've need to wait till the 28 days is up.

You did used to have to wait the 28 days if a rider came back early. But that rule may have changed by now! 

On 4/10/2024 at 10:30 PM, jbell1995 said:

Millions of people 

You can add Wiltshire to that but I still don’t think it’ll add up to a million 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

2 hours ago, lisa-colette said:

You did used to have to wait the 28 days if a rider came back early. But that rule may have changed by now! 

I think that's a different rule, if they had signed Rowe as a "28 day replacement" then Covatti couldn't come back early, but this is a different situation.

Edited by szkocjasid
  • Like 1

On 4/10/2024 at 10:30 PM, jbell1995 said:

Sadly because it fits an agenda used by a minority of the people on this platform. Sadly, this minority won't be happy until they see another club fold and close, without realising the knock on effect of such a decision. It would leave an entire region, not just a city/town - the whole of Cornwall, Devon, Somerset and Gloucestershire without a team. Just let that sink in for a minute? Millions of people without a team to support, they'd rather that happened than see the Gladiators make a good go at things. I really feel for Mark, he's constantly getting battered from all sides (including by riders from other clubs!) despite doing what he can with what he's got. People are more than entitled to their views I get that, hence why we are on a public forum discussing it however most of the time, it's not constructive, it's not helpful and it's hurtful what people say about the Gladiators....

However, it's us against the world and we're going to embrace that!!

"No one likes us, we don't care... We are Plymouth..."

I like the gladiators, met some great Plymouth fans at Berwick over the years. All the best to you. Up the underdog's 

Is there any news on Ben Barker following his withdrawal at Scunthorpe?