British Speedway Forum
Hooky

Sheffield Tigers 2024

AGM finishes on Thursday so at least the first 3 riders for 2024 season will be announced on Friday ahead of season ticket sales starting on Saturday, I’ll go for Tai, Jack and Kyle 

11 minutes ago, SpeedwayFan91 said:

Sheffield’s team picks itself tbh…

J Holder

Howarth

C Holder

Pickering

Woffinden

Etheridge

Gilkes

If the points limit is 41 this will be the team.. can’t see many teams getting close to that top 5 around Owlerton. I would go with Edwards as RS though he just showed abit more than Gilkes for me 

3 riders for next seasons team to be announced by Saturday. 

Woffinden, J Holder & Howarth I reckon.

22 hours ago, 4BM said:

AGM finishes on Thursday so at least the first 3 riders for 2024 season will be announced on Friday ahead of season ticket sales starting on Saturday, I’ll go for Tai, Jack and Kyle 

I believe the plan is for the AGM/Conference to go to Friday lunchtime.

On 11/13/2023 at 12:05 PM, Charlieboy said:

Personally I’d like us to be able to fit one of the Cook brothers in instead of Kyle. He’s been a loyal servant to Sheffield but I think we need to freshen it up if we want to have a chance of winning the league again. Can’t see Kyle upping his average any more. 

I thought Kyle might have gone last winter, and in the first half of this season I still thought keeping him was the wrong decision. However, I don't know what inspired him, but he was immense in the last couple of months and justified his position. He ended the season with the 3rd highest number of bonus points in the league - what more can you ask of a number 2 ?

• Like 2

On 11/14/2023 at 10:43 AM, Manifesto said:

If the points limit is 41 this will be the team.. can’t see many teams getting close to that top 5 around Owlerton. I would go with Edwards as RS though he just showed abit more than Gilkes for me 

You'd be crazy to get rid of Gilkes, theres a lot more to come from him given an injury free season

• Like 1

Believe the 3 signings to be announced by Saturday are Woffinden, Jack Holder and Jason Edwards

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Marksman said:

Believe the 3 signings to be announced by Saturday are Woffinden, Jack Holder and Jason Edwards

Think Edwards is a much safer bet than Gilkes. 

Much improved on bigger tracks last season, steady improver and very sensible on a bike so fewer injuries. Very clever lad always working on weaknesses. Team player. 

Gilkes is very fast when he gates but takes too many risks I think when behind. Hence the unfortunate injuries. Bit of a loner. 

45 minutes ago, HGould said:

Much improved on bigger tracks last season, steady improver and very sensible on a bike so fewer injuries. Very clever lad always working on weaknesses. Team player. 

Gilkes is very fast when he gates but takes too many risks I think when behind. Hence the unfortunate injuries. Bit of a loner. 

So lets have look at the stat's for both Dan and Jason riding for Sheffield last season.

Not counting bonus points.

Dan Gilkes

Home Average  

8 meetings 

28 rides 

33 points 

4.71 Average

Away Average

9 meetings 

32 rides 

22 points 

2.75 Average

Jason Edwards

Home Average

7 meetings 

26 rides 

14 points 

2.15 Average

Away Average

7 meetings 

26 rides 

19 points 

2.92 Average

4 hours ago, Marksman said:

Dan Gilkes is back. 

2 hours ago, HGould said:

Yeah we dont want people taking risks and making things exciting do we? 

13 minutes ago, skydog said:

Yeah we dont want people taking risks and making things exciting do we? 

But you do want them available and not missing large chunks of the season. 

Dan Gilkes or Jason Edwards?

Would be happy to see either in the team next season.

But given a push I would go with Dan Gilkes.

12 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

But you do want them available and not missing large chunks of the season. 

I do get the point, but it also sounds silly to suggest dropping a rider because he takes risks. This is Speedway, it's meant to be exciting... I was part of the Reading set up when Dan rode for us in SDL, I honestly think he has something. But he needs a decent home track (Sheffield being a good example) and to avoid injuries,  and I think he will make it