British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

Poole v Glasgow Championship Final 2nd Leg 11/10/23

1 hour ago, foreverblue said:

I would agree we choked at Glasgow we were awful in the first part of the meeting, Joe was unlucky but Ben Cook broke the tapes and then stupidly didn't make time allowance and Newman broke down on start line, a catalogue of errors then Worrall had to use second bike. If you met Shovvy you realise he is not a numpty, far from it in fact but he is a massive pessimist. 

If we manage it tomorrow it will be a fantastic performance, we have given ourselves a mountain to climb.

Surely not that much of a pessimist though. Don't he fly about hanging under a big kite, with an engine strapped to his back, or something like that :blink:

• Like 1

PIRATES will overcome the 14pt deficit with strength, courage and determination.

Well something like that anyways! :D

How about a swift kick up the backside & a few choice words! :D

Edited by lbw
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, TheWellBehavedWorrall said:

It’s fair enough, too. It’s Poole’s track, so it’s theirs to prepare.

I just hope it doesn’t ruin the meeting. There was some fantastic racing at Ashfield last night, worthy of a grand final, so from-the-gate speedway tomorrow night would be a shame.

There wasn't masses of passing last night. Only towards the end of the meeting when Bomber didn't gate. Even Basso couldn't find a way past in H15. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Bald Bloke said:

Surely not that much of a pessimist though. Don't he fly about hanging under a big kite, with an engine strapped to his back, or something like that :blink:

Maybe just the speedway, reverse psychology

1 minute ago, foreverblue said:

Maybe just the speedway, reverse psychology

Now your getting closer ;)

38 minutes ago, Bald Bloke said:

Now your getting closer ;)

We will know tomorrow if he is correct. I am hopeful of a good meeting and close racing, may not be our night in the end but we are not giving up just yet. Alot of people are saying it will be easy even though we are 14 points down so that is reverse psychology too as like you they are the ones who want us to lose.

Edited by foreverblue

2 hours ago, TheWellBehavedWorrall said:

We’re being pedantic here, are we not?

Off the top of my head, Harris passed the two Cook’s in heat ten, then Lawson and Worrall in heat fifteen. As you mentioned, Tarasenko and Thompson had a really good battle shortly after Tarasenko and Ben Cook were wheel-to-wheel for two laps before the Russian passed him in heat seven. You’ve even got Complin passing Thompson, Basso passed Newman before Complin did the same, but fell off. Need I go on?

A bizarre observation to make. That wasn’t the 2007 British GP or 1996 PLRC, but that was a very good Speedway meeting last night; let’s celebrate it, not downplay it. That’s the last thing this sport needs.

44 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

There wasn't masses of passing last night. Only towards the end of the meeting when Bomber didn't gate. Even Basso couldn't find a way past in H15. 

See above Lisa.

I’m not saying last night was the greatest meeting ever raced, but it’s outright nonsense to suggest there was no passing.

If every meeting in the UK consistently included the number of passes I’ve mentioned in my quote above, Speedway in this country would be in significantly better shape.

12 minutes ago, TheWellBehavedWorrall said:

See above Lisa.

I’m not saying last night was the greatest meeting ever raced, but it’s outright nonsense to suggest there was no passing.

If every meeting in the UK consistently included the number of passes I’ve mentioned in my quote above, Speedway in this country would be in significantly better shape.

Even the commentators mentioned there wasnt much passing early on which there wasnt . You look at updates most races say ftg.

Edited by foreverblue

20 minutes ago, TheWellBehavedWorrall said:

See above Lisa.

Lisa did not say there wasnt any passing . Glasgow .Ashfield is one of the best racetracks we have especially now Peterborough has gone and racing is usually terrific .

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, foreverblue said:

Lisa did not say there wasnt any passing . Glasgow .Ashfield is one of the best racetracks we have especially now Peterborough has gone and racing is usually terrific .

Was only 4/5 races probably last night. The biblical rain and time of the year obviously had an effect on it. Fact was any kind of passing or racing I thought was huge testament to the track staff. Sorry to be broken record but as with Ipswich at Sheffield and Sheffield at Ipswich we're running the biggest meetings of the season at the least optimal time of the year. 

Why do we run Bsn trophy at start of season for example and not end? Go straight into league racing could have it wrapped up by end of August and then can move onto a tournament that sure teams would like to win but if run in poor conditions then more acceptable imo. Might even extend some clubs seasons who don't make play offs too (not in terms of more meetings but fans not having any home matches after August can't be easy)

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Jaizer said:

Was only 4/5 races probably last night. The biblical rain and time of the year obviously had an effect on it. Fact was any kind of passing or racing I thought was huge testament to the track staff. Sorry to be broken record but as with Ipswich at Sheffield and Sheffield at Ipswich we're running the biggest meetings of the season at the least optimal time of the year. 

Why do we run Bsn trophy at start of season for example and not end? Go straight into league racing could have it wrapped up by end of August and then can move onto a tournament that sure teams would like to win but if run in poor conditions then more acceptable imo. Might even extend some clubs seasons who don't make play offs too (not in terms of more meetings but fans not having any home matches after August can't be easy)

We have BSN at start so we have an early tournament to kick it all off. We had play offs in November last season and that was a damp squib because Leicester could not run it at their track. Weather plays a part throughout the season but there has to be a better way, maybe run all the cup matches at the end. This year it was a bit silly with the 3 team league to see who made the final, just have top four in semi finals .

5 hours ago, foreverblue said:

Lets hope the forecast rain stays away long enough to complete the meeting .

Yes it's 3am and I'll shortly be leaving home so let's hope that pesky rain stays away so we Pirates can 'Reign' !

:t: