British Speedway Forum
ScunnyDan

Scunthorpe v Poole - 2023 KOC Final

14 hours ago, FishersGate said:

If he means upgrading in the championship then Poole would be a great place to go. Think he wants trophies and Poole are always in the hunt. Where else could he go? Glasgow, Poole, Redcar,  Oxford?

He made it clear he had no intentions of leaving Scunthorpe for another Championship club, its purely a decision to try and further his career by taking on extra challenges in Poland and Sweden etc.. Thanks Ryan for everything you have done for Scunthorpe Speedway over the past 10 years. All the best for the future and hope to see you back at Scunthorpe in the future as you will always be welcome back. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Interesting that Ryan Douglas said he is leaving Scunthorpe because he wants to upgrade. What better place to ride than Poole, where he loves the track? 

Douglas is a good rider in the Championship and aspires to progress, but he has limitations as have been on display in the Premier league this season. He already rides Poland in league one and won’t get a spot in the Extraleague. May as well come south and ride for Pirates.

You say that you bought the stream but you must have had it on mute!

He wants to "upgrade" by riding against better riders in possibly Sweden.

He does ride in Poland BUT in Liga 2 for Rawicz. He says he is moving up to Polish Liga 1 but in International Section it has him signed for Poznan who finished 7th(last) in Liga 1.(possible relegation?)( unsure on their rules in this matter) 

2 hours ago, IronScorpion said:

He does ride in Poland BUT in Liga 2 for Rawicz. He says he is moving up to Polish Liga 1 but in International Section it has him signed for Poznan who finished 7th(last) in Liga 1.(possible relegation?)( unsure on their rules in this matter) 

Poznan are staying up because Landshut can't fulfill Liga 1 criteria.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, IronScorpion said:

I did. Didn’t turn it up until the riders were coming out for heat one. In fact didn’t see or hear Douglas being interviewed.

As much as I like Douglas and think he’s a great lad, he falls into the same category as many who are good, but not quite good enough. A small gap but an important one, sorting those who are at the top of their game with those almost but not quite. Riders like Kurtz, Masters, Pickering, Douglas, Rasmus Jensen, Buczkowski, etc. all ride Polish League but just won’t get the opportunity in the Extraleague, where the money is. Extraleague is virtually a closed shop. The world’s best, backed up with young and extremely fast Poles, with the reserves filled with two u21 Polish juniors. So 2/3 places per team available at best. And a rider like Douglas needs to remove a GP standard rider with his super fast bikes and backup team. Very, very difficult to do. And riders like Hampel can last way beyond their usual sell by date into their 40’s, due to fitness, and being able to afford the best tuners and back room staff.

The only way to make a noise is to qualify through the GP qualifying rounds and get into the GP series, then score very decent points, ala Lambert and Bewley

1 hour ago, Steve Shovlar said:

I did. Didn’t turn it up until the riders were coming out for heat one. In fact didn’t see or hear Douglas being interviewed.

As much as I like Douglas and think he’s a great lad, he falls into the same category as many who are good, but not quite good enough. A small gap but an important one, sorting those who are at the top of their game with those almost but not quite. Riders like Kurtz, Masters, Pickering, Douglas, Rasmus JensenBuczkowski, etc. all ride Polish League but just won’t get the opportunity in the Extraleague, where the money is. Extraleague is virtually a closed shop. The world’s best, backed up with young and extremely fast Poles, with the reserves filled with two u21 Polish juniors. So 2/3 places per team available at best. And a rider like Douglas needs to remove a GP standard rider with his super fast bikes and backup team. Very, very difficult to do. And riders like Hampel can last way beyond their usual sell by date into their 40’s, due to fitness, and being able to afford the best tuners and back room staff.

The only way to make a noise is to qualify through the GP qualifying rounds and get into the GP series, then score very decent points, ala Lambert and Bewley

Kurtz and Buczkowski have both been in in the extraleague and Rasmus Jensen is in it this year.

2 minutes ago, eric i said:

Kurtz and Buczkowski have both been in in the extraleague and Rasmus Jensen is in it this year.

But they won’t get back in. And Kurtz is a better rider than Douglas at the moment. 

14 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

But they won’t get back in. And Kurtz is a better rider than Douglas at the moment. 

Buczkowski is 37 so probably not going to progress much further. Kurtz might if he gets a bit better but he is 10th in league one averages so he is not exactly knocking on the door.

1 hour ago, Steve Shovlar said:

In fairness Steve, you could've said the same about Doyle not that long ago. I accept he's a rare case but it is possible.

Doyle was one very much against the grain. Today, riders have to show high potential from a very early stage in their careers, and even then that might not be enough to get picked up by a Polish league 2 or one team. Ben Cook has been trying hard to get a team place and has been noticed but still that team berth is tough to get. 

On 10/15/2023 at 11:27 PM, foreverblue said:

Agree about Douglas and Kemp but Ablitt, Mountain and Lambert won't score many and Newman is capable of beating Kemp, I think we will win by 8-10.

Lambert 3,mountain 2 and ablitt 1 so they can’t get much less than that,palm toft only got 2 aswell so I honestly don’t see where those riders get less than previous imo,your being optimistic with Newman I think if he gets 5 rides which is likely can’t c him getting more than 7tbh,kemp was quality last time the only way we win by 8-10 is if Kemp has a mare and gets 6/7pts 

On 10/15/2023 at 5:29 PM, Steve Shovlar said:

Rarely do I say, “in the bag”, but on this occasion I think we have it won. :)

Maybe not. :)

• Haha 4

On 10/15/2023 at 5:30 PM, foreverblue said:

Yes agree .

On 10/16/2023 at 8:27 PM, Steve Shovlar said:

Doyle was one very much against the grain. Today, riders have to show high potential from a very early stage in their careers, and even then that might not be enough to get picked up by a Polish league 2 or one team. Ben Cook has been trying hard to get a team place and has been noticed but still that team berth is tough to get. 

Agree,when you watch Polish Div1 and Div2. riders like Douglas and Pickering are good  but not Superstars and there’s a lot of  young Continental riders coming through as well as the Young Poles.Just look at the U/ 24 league Young Brits are finding it tough going.