British Speedway Forum
Midget

Workington 2024

45 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Think part of the trouble within the NDL “ these kids didn’t come cheap” and a few of them had been “ round the block a few times”.Admission prices were far to high .IMO.I’m all for youth development but was that really what the NDL was all about.

Do agree with the round the block part of the NDL. 
Using the line ‘former NDL’ champion in the press release for a guy who won it 8 years ago doesn’t show much development, if anything his average is a point lower than it was back then.

1 hour ago, StevePark said:

He's been named in the Teesside Silver Helmet line up, so can't have burned the bridges too far.

Thanks for clarifying. 

He could be nailed on to go back there then with Erik Riss not at his best and Charles Wright having a long road back to fitness. 

A number of clubs will probably be hoping Richie Worrall somehow avoids a 2 year ban. 

2 minutes ago, HGould said:

Thanks for clarifying. 

He could be nailed on to go back there then with Erik Riss not at his best and Charles Wright having a long road back to fitness. 

A number of clubs will probably be hoping Richie Worrall somehow avoids a 2 year ban. 

Would take Riss at Berwick.Think illness ruin his season.Class rider at his best.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, lisa-colette said:

So really it is 38 then, just whether it includes a 2 pointer or not. I am assuming there are 9 available? 

There's clearly more than 9 available, wether they are up to the correct standard is up for debate. I'd certainly prefer an RS rule to be under 3.50, feel it's a shame if the riders just above 2 (up to Pijper) could miss out.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Would take Riss at Berwick.Think illness ruin his season.Class rider at his best.

Bit of a Rissk to be honest lol but no doubt when fully fit is a class rider

• Haha 1

Trying to pick a team where all riders have a Workington connection:

Workington  
Craig Cook 8.52
Richard Lawson 8.48
Thomas Jorgensen 6.39
Connor Bailey 5.23
Ty Proctor 4.00
Ace Pijper 3.17
Luke Harrison 2.00
Total 37.79

45 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

There's clearly more than 9 available, wether they are up to the correct standard is up for debate. I'd certainly prefer an RS rule to be under 3.50, feel it's a shame if the riders just above 2 (up to Pijper) could miss out.

I think they'll have riders like Pijper and Trigger, Harrison who have had a valiant attempt too early on a Rising Star rating so that they can be assured of another bash and not penalised for getting teams out of a mess. 

I wonder if the sponsor of heat 20 in the NDLRC a clue to the comets No 1 :blink:

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, topaz325 said:

I had mixed feelings when the move to the championship was announced yesterday , I have enjoyed this year with these young lads we have had in our team and think they may be lost to the sport If there is no Third League of some description.

i must admit I did not have any interest in the “ third division”  when Workington were in the championship back in 2018 but there seems to be a real camaraderie with the boys this season that does not always exist with some teams .

I hope many of this years team can be in next years line up , this would mean a weaker championship but maybe that is a good thing.

One thing I do know Is the  promotion at Northside have put a lot of work in to making this season a success , so well done to Andrew Bain , Steve Lawson and the many people behind the scenes who work tirelessly every week.

Connor and Ace had Championship places this season. I can see Luke Harrison and Sam McGurk possibly securing a berth next season. The Championship even watered down is a tough step up. Even though we have had the pleasure of watching some great young talent this season who have often outshone older team mates admission costs will rise and with it fans expectations.

I would like to think that in the absence of the NDL something will be created that will still allow young riders the opportunity to race and develop.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Neila said:

I wonder if the sponsor of heat 20 in the NDLRC a clue to the comets No 1 :blink:

I wish ha ha. 

Can we have Dan bewley on his 2018  championship average?  Glasgow have form for getting riders on a dodgy average, so maybe the comets could :D:D

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Normski said:

Bit of a Rissk to be honest lol but no doubt when fully fit is a class rider

Berik Riss?

39 minutes ago, Neila said:

Can we have Dan bewley on his 2018  championship average?  Glasgow have form for getting riders on a dodgy average, so maybe the comets could :D:D

Not our fault that the rule makers couldn’t run a  pi$$ up in a brewery.

But it is clear the champions get preferential treatment.

Edited by Gazc
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, Gazc said:

Not our fault that the rule makers couldn’t run a  pi$$ up in a brewery.

But it is clear the champions get preferential treatment.

So being triple champions in 2018 do comets get 3 goes with riders with a dodgy average :D.  H18TORY