British Speedway Forum
Midget

Workington 2024

Sam mcgurk just announced as 1st comet for 2024 happy with that :D

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Neila said:

Very happy with that, think he’ll come on leaps and bounds next season. He’s done very well this year 

Sam has been quite easily my favourite rider this season. He came in with a low average and excelled with every passing ride.

What I love about him is his confidence. He experienced a few horrific crashes this season but bounced back as if it didnt affect him at all. 

Also love how he loves taking that outside line.

Edited by WokJoWe

14 minutes ago, Neila said:

Any idea what is happening with young Harry next season? Seems a real shame for him. He was a fantastic rider in the previous season but that crash knocked his confidence

16 hours ago, WokJoWe said:

Any idea what is happening with young Harry next season? Seems a real shame for him. He was a fantastic rider in the previous season but that crash knocked his confidence

Harry said he was going to ride again as he knows how good he was in 2022, said he has got himself sorted out, so onwards and upwards for the kid. But with no NDL where is Harry and others gonna get racing time on bikes,  the powers that be should have a plan to bring the young riders through the system  !!!  And it seems like the northern junior league has imploded as well 

19 hours ago, Neila said:

Harry said he was going to ride again as he knows how good he was in 2022, said he has got himself sorted out, so onwards and upwards for the kid. But with no NDL where is Harry and others gonna get racing time on bikes,  the powers that be should have a plan to bring the young riders through the system  !!!  And it seems like the northern junior league has imploded as well 

Hopefully we see the best of him. I heard a lot of rumblings around the ground when he rode but he's a young rider who's having some troubles.

This season wasn't a true reflection of his ability so hopefully he returns and rides like he knows he can. It's just a shame that the development leagues are going to be no more. How are they planning to provide pathways for younger riders

22 hours ago, Neila said:

All matches should have second halves either with NJL action, or equivalent of NDL action. Must be possible to make something like that work. Gives a chance for people who previously wouldn't have gone to an NDL match the chance to see some potential up and coming youngsters.

• Like 6

I am please Sam has got a Champ spot, has certainly improved in the NL for Workington, plus it's good for Comets fans to keep some of last year's team. However I do believe he will be one of the weakest reserves in the league, so wouldn't call him a "good signing".

Even with a lower limit, it's a massive step up from the NL to the Champ, but they've all gotta try it at some stage, but if there's no NL, feel that will hinder him. Most first time Champ riders, get to double up between NL & Champ for a season or two. But I'm not sure if he's even had a guest Champ appearance yet?

2 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

I am please Sam has got a Champ spot, has certainly improved in the NL for Workington, plus it's good for Comets fans to keep some of last year's team. However I do believe he will be one of the weakest reserves in the league, so wouldn't call him a "good signing".

Even with a lower limit, it's a massive step up from the NL to the Champ, but they've all gotta try it at some stage, but if there's no NL, feel that will hinder him. Most first time Champ riders, get to double up between NL & Champ for a season or two. But I'm not sure if he's even had a guest Champ appearance yet?

Sam is a great signing and don't see him being one of the weaker reserves with Freddie Hodder, Ben Trigger, Luke Harrison, Luke Killeen , Max Perry, Ashton boughen , Ace pijper he will be amongst his peer group all who beat each other on a regular basis .

• Like 6

23 hours ago, Noelinho said:

All matches should have second halves either with NJL action, or equivalent of NDL action. Must be possible to make something like that work. Gives a chance for people who previously wouldn't have gone to an NDL match the chance to see some potential up and coming youngsters.

perhaps a couple of heats after ht 10 of the main match and 3/4 heats at the end of the main match

2 hours ago, ch958 said:

perhaps a couple of heats after ht 10 of the main match and 3/4 heats at the end of the main match

Don’t think it’s a good idea to have any mid match. Too chancy for mishaps which could affect the main meeting. 

• Like 4

@Neila any truth in Bailey already signed a contract for a different team?

Real shame, he's going to be a phenomenal rider.

1 hour ago, WokJoWe said:

The plan was always going back to Glasgow after a year at Redcar at Championship level.

Plans can change though.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, WokJoWe said:

My guess is he will be back at Glasgow as they own his contract and he  works for   allied vehicles,  plus will do a good job on a 5 ish average,  this year at Redcar and belle Vue he always had a heat win in him, and solid scores, also see him as a rising star at belle Vue 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1