British Speedway Forum
Midget

Workington 2024

1 hour ago, allthegearbutnaeidea said:

Clearly wasn’t keen on signing and has pushed for more money, that was the obvious signing in December and it’s taken until March. Might not be good for team spirit, if he’s on more money than he’s worth, and/or isn’t bothered about riding for the team.

Do you know this…..or are you just making it up?….lol. Claus always gives his best in my opinion and any contract details are between him and the management. I’m sure they know what they’re doing. 

• Like 1

Clearly wasn’t keen on signing and has pushed for more money, that was the obvious signing in December and it’s taken until March. Might not be good for team spirit, if he’s on more money than he’s worth, and/or isn’t bothered about riding for the team.

Riders make demands and no doubt promoters decide whether a certain rider is worth it within the constraints of their budget. In the case of Claus I would imagine an amicable compromise was reached because he has only signed in the last few days. Why wouldn't he be bothered about riding for the team ? doesn't make sense to him financially plus I don't believe it is in his make up not to try. 

Comets have been in a difficult position this season having to start team building when most other clubs had their riders signed up.  Being a weekend track also brings the Poland scenario into the equation. All in all I think under the circumstances they have put together a team that should at the very least be strong at home.  For a first season back that is very important.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Fromafar said:

Claus gives it everything on the track.IMO.

Not sure the Birmingham fans will agree with that.

Edited by bloom89
  • Like 2

Provided he can stay injury free, I always thought of him as a solid signing. Coming from an ex Somerset supporter I can tell you guys you’re in for a hell of a ride. Your set up reminds a lot of the Rebels in the early days. Enjoy it , and hope something just doesn’t come from nowhere ( in our case Covid) and smashes it. All the best for the new season.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Not sure who blinked first but this was two months ago. 

I don't think so. Given the feedback and the frustration of most Worky fans there was no point in dragging it out for this long. No doubt there has been a sticking point  re wages but now it is settled we can look forward to seeing a decent side that will hold its own. Definately not fully signed 2 months ago.

1 hour ago, bloom89 said:

Not sure the Birmingham fans will agree with that.

There might have been reasons for that.

• Like 1

You have to remember " comets" started behind every other team with team building,that and poland hasnt helped but i think we could surprise a few fans up and down the country.all riders look good on there own but the young aussie looked real good at practice on sat.

• Like 1

Out of all the Championship teams, Workington's results will be the ones I check first. The composition of the team intrigues me and I sincerely hope they do well.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Fromafar said:

Claus gives it everything on the track.IMO.

Was plenty times he wasn’t interested when he rode for us, and there was plenty times he was injured too

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cliffeboy said:

Provided he can stay injury free, I always thought of him as a solid signing. Coming from an ex Somerset supporter I can tell you guys you’re in for a hell of a ride. Your set up reminds a lot of the Rebels in the early days. Enjoy it , and hope something just doesn’t come from nowhere ( in our case Covid) and smashes it. All the best for the new season.

Miss our trips to Highbridge especially for the Pairs . Always a good excuse to have a few days in Somerset which we never failed to enjoy, great County. Really shocked when the Rebels announced their closure , very sad loss for you fans and speedway more generally.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, allthegearbutnaeidea said:

Was plenty times he wasn’t interested when he rode for us, and there was plenty times he was injured too

rode well for us in 2014/15

4 hours ago, 1Tsunami said:

I don't think so. Given the feedback and the frustration of most Worky fans there was no point in dragging it out for this long. No doubt there has been a sticking point  re wages but now it is settled we can look forward to seeing a decent side that will hold its own. Definately not fully signed 2 months ago.

I didn’t say he was signed two months ago. I said talks were stuck due to wage demands on what Vissing wanted and what Workington were prepared to pay. One way or another they have worked it out and come to the tapes with a decent lineup. Wish them successful season, but with an empty trophy cabinet. 

• Haha 1

Thought he was alright when he rode for us,but messed us about when  he was injured and rode when and where he wanted too no real loyalty but can’t complain when he was on track for us. iMO

• Like 1

Claus should have a good opening weekend riding at Number 2, strong rider to have in that position.

James said the line-up for Fri/Saturday will be;

1. Cookie

2. Vissing

3. Antti

4. Tate

5. Batchelor

6. Sam

7. Celina

And then might change for the Home fixture on Sunday.

• Like 1