British Speedway Forum

27 minutes ago, FishersGate said:

Tobias Thomson. Never heard of him but seems an interesting signing

Jesus... Never thought we'd see him back in UK

Largely uncompetitive in 2019 before being dropped. 

No spring chicken either. 

Neat enough style just never seemed fast nor hard enough. 

Very strange choice. 

9 minutes ago, HGould said:

Jesus... Never thought we'd see him back in UK

Largely uncompetitive in 2019 before being dropped. 

No spring chicken either. 

Neat enough style just never seemed fast nor hard enough. 

Very strange choice. 

But has anyone seen what he has been doing since as that will be 5 years ago!! 

lol, all these talks of teenage wonder kids and end up with a 29 year old that couldn’t even make it at Birmingham 

On the same day Worky unveil Tate, Poole unveil a near 30 year old competition winner. Lol

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Bellers101 said:

Who?

Ronnie Pickering....

• Haha 1

I can't even recall him riding over here.

• Like 2

Can’t say I was over excited when I heard the name myself, and expected the reaction his announcement has brought about.  Have to wait and see but not expecting him to last the season. Time will tell.

• Like 1

Just now, Steve Shovlar said:

Can’t say I was over excited when I heard the name myself, and expected the reaction his announcement has brought about.  Have to wait and see but not expecting him to last the season. Time will tell.

Fair assessment. 

His name is Tobias Thomsen.

Tobias Thomsen

Born:

23.08.1994, Brovst, Denmark

British Clubs:

Birmingham (2019)

Year..Clubs..Meetings..Rides..Points..Bonus..Average..Maxima

2019..Birmingham..12..45..31..5..3.20

Edited by Steve Shovlar

Matt's worked his magic again. According to FB its Nicolai Klindt in disguise!!:rofl:

PROMOTER Danny Ford described Tobias Thomsen as a “wildcard signing”, after the Dane was confirmed as the final member of Poole Pirates’ 2024 septet.

The 29-year-old has been snapped up on a four-point average, with his only previous stint in the UK a brief spell with Birmingham Brummies in 2019.

Thomsen joins the main body of the team alongside Zach Cook, with Richard Lawson, Ben Cook and Tom Brennan set to be the heat-leader trio. Young British duo Sam Hagon and Max Perry will operate as reserves.

Discussing the decision to sign Thomsen, Ford told the Daily Echo: “Tobias has had experience riding over here, with Birmingham in 2019 in the Championship.

“He didn’t necessarily impress, to be honest and got let go as part of a reshuffle.

“But when it became clear we would have 4.20 to play with, we sat back and assessed our options. There wasn’t any clear initial options who really stood out for us.

“You start looking deeper and Tobias’s name popped up. He rode here in 2019, came in on a five-point average, but his average dropped.

“That makes him available on a four, whereas a new Dane would come in on a five.

“So we started doing our research, looking how he rode last season. He rode in Denmark’s second division and was one of the top scorers over there.”

Ford admitted: “It is a bit of a wildcard signing. It is one that people wouldn’t necessarily be expecting.

“To be honest, I wasn’t expecting it until we spoke to him.

“I fully believe that in a slightly weaker Championship, like it will be this season, and based on Tobias’s growth as a rider and how much he has improved over the past few seasons, he should certainly be a rider who can not only improve on the four-point average, but dramatically improve on it.

“We should hopefully see a much improved Tobias from what we saw in 2019.

“I’ve been watching his meetings from last year as much as I can, on YouTube and stuff, and he’s certainly got the gating gloves, which I feel will help him massively.

“We’ve got some great experience in the team around him in Richard, but then some younger guys who are also looking to improve. They can help each other out and push each other on.

https://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/sport/24000659.danny-ford-poole-pirates-signing-dane-tobias-thomsen/

“It’s hopefully an exciting signing and definitely one I’m sure the supporters weren’t expecting.

“It’s nice when you stump a lot of people.

“People can often predict a team, but not many people would have seen that one coming! It’s good to have him as a Pirate.”

Discussing the lengths Poole have gone to to fully maximise the points limit this year, Ford added: “We certainly had many options on four-point averages. But none of them stood out to us.

“We want to win the title, we don’t want to settle for second best.

“We feel that Tobias, given his recent form, can come in and be a rider who can improve his average.

“That’s what makes a winning team. If you can get seven riders who can all improve their average, you are certainly going the right way about winning silverware.

“It will be interesting to see how he settles in and hopefully it works out.”

18 minutes ago, therefused said:

lol, all these talks of teenage wonder kids and end up with a 29 year old that couldn’t even make it at Birmingham 

These are the kind that every supporter loves. Theres no doubt the Poole supporters would have been happier and more intrigued, by signing a teenager that nobody else in the other big leagues has yet picked up, rather than a near 30 year old with no pedigree whatsoever. You hope the promotion does their homework and the kid has something about them that they can nurture and see improve at their club. They might never amount to anything sure, most probably don’t, but they may blossom in to something very very good. It’s more exciting finding out than pretty much knowing what you’re going to get from this latest recruit. 

• Like 1