British Speedway Forum
Spidvej

Wolves last meeting at Monmore 23rd October

Not sure this is the right  topic but I read that they are building a greyhound track at the racecourse . What is the deal with that then.? Is Monmore staying open or our they building on it . 

12 hours ago, orion said:

Not sure this is the right  topic but I read that they are building a greyhound track at the racecourse . What is the deal with that then.? Is Monmore staying open or our they building on it . 

The Entain group run the racecourse and Monmore Green. Now I dont know much about gryhound racing but having  2 greyhound tracks in the same city  would seem foolish ?

I can only assume Entain will try and sell Monmore Green for redevelopment, hence preparing the gound by booting out the speedway. Planning permission granted :-

Plans for a new greyhound racing track at Wolverhampton Racecourse have been approved by council bosses.

The plans, submitted by owners Arena Racing Company (Arc), show it will be built opposite the grandstand at the Dunstall Park site.

"Our aspiration is that [it] can become a landmark venue for greyhound racing," said racing division managing director Mark Spincer.

"Greyhound welfare is a hugely important aspect of our business."

Arc worked closely with Sports Turf Research Institute on their proposal, and looks forward to working with them, as well as the Greyhound Board of Great Britain, on making sure the facilities meet the highest possible welfare standards.

"With many of the facilities already in place, we are confident that it would prove a popular venue with greyhound owners, trainers and fans alike,” Mr Spincer added.

Acting on behalf of the company, Matthew Pardoe, director of Moorside Planning said “there are likely to be four greyhound meetings per week – two evenings and two daytimes."

"Most meetings are attended by 50 to 100 patrons and the only exception would be a Friday or Saturday evening, when up to 500 people could attend.”

Arc is the largest horse and greyhound racing group in the UK, and operates 16 racecourses and five greyhound stadia around the country, as well as a few golf courses and hotels.

Popular with fans ? When they expect 50 100 people there in the week. What a joke.

Edited by Beowulf
  • Like 1

Entain are https://www.entaingroup.com/ a Gambling provider including Ladbrokes and Corals, ARC are https://www.arenaracingcompany.co.uk/ who provide the means for people to Gamble, Monmore is owned by Entain and Dunstall Park/Perry Barr are run by ARC, they have joined forces to form a company under the banner of Premier Greyhound Racing https://www.premiergreyhoundracing.co.uk/#top  It is this combination that has decided no more Speedway at there Greyhound Tracks on welfare grounds.

The Greyhound Tracks do not rely on people attending Greyhound meetings in fact they actually cost money to maintain spectator facilities year in year out, the Greyhound Tracks make most of there money by streaming live greyhound meetings worldwide and are paid upwards of 30k per meeting to provide live pictures to gambling outlets, hence no need to have spectators at meetings. I have no idea if Entain wish to continue to be both a provider of racing and a receiver of bets at those meetings unless Entain want to improve there short term profits by selling such as Monmore, Hove, Romford and Crayford, I have just had a quick check of next years racing calendar and the 4 Entain Tracks are programmed to host 22 Greyhound meetings per week in 2024 so at a conservative estimate that will bring in excess of £660,000 per week just from staging Greyhound meetings so why would they sell ?. 

I think the greyhound welfare thing is a bit of a red herring, never seemed to be a problem in the past.

1 hour ago, Beowulf said:

I think the greyhound welfare thing is a bit of a red herring, never seemed to be a problem in the past.

Seems that way. So much for the shale on the dog track.

7 hours ago, Beowulf said:

The Entain group run the racecourse and Monmore Green. Now I dont know much about gryhound racing but having  2 greyhound tracks in the same city  would seem foolish ?

I can only assume Entain will try and sell Monmore Green for redevelopment, hence preparing the gound by booting out the speedway. Planning permission granted :-

Yea that looks like the plan  ,Makes perfect sense 

Some hopeful news in today's Express and Star. CVS quoted as stating a site has been idebtified 'fifteen miutes from Monmore'.Early days.

• Like 1

On 11/2/2023 at 9:13 AM, 847084 said:

Some hopeful news in today's Express and Star. CVS quoted as stating a site has been idebtified 'fifteen miutes from Monmore'.Early days.

15 minutes by what though? Foot? Running or walking? Car? At what time of day? HS2? Plane?

Seems a funny measurement to use, why not use the internationally recognised unit of measurement of distance? Saying 15 minutes to me suggests it could be up to 15 miles away... would it still then be Wolverhampton?

On 10/31/2023 at 1:17 PM, heathen52 said:

Entain are https://www.entaingroup.com/ a Gambling provider including Ladbrokes and Corals, ARC are https://www.arenaracingcompany.co.uk/ who provide the means for people to Gamble, Monmore is owned by Entain and Dunstall Park/Perry Barr are run by ARC, they have joined forces to form a company under the banner of Premier Greyhound Racing https://www.premiergreyhoundracing.co.uk/#top  It is this combination that has decided no more Speedway at there Greyhound Tracks on welfare grounds.

The Greyhound Tracks do not rely on people attending Greyhound meetings in fact they actually cost money to maintain spectator facilities year in year out, the Greyhound Tracks make most of there money by streaming live greyhound meetings worldwide and are paid upwards of 30k per meeting to provide live pictures to gambling outlets, hence no need to have spectators at meetings. I have no idea if Entain wish to continue to be both a provider of racing and a receiver of bets at those meetings unless Entain want to improve there short term profits by selling such as Monmore, Hove, Romford and Crayford, I have just had a quick check of next years racing calendar and the 4 Entain Tracks are programmed to host 22 Greyhound meetings per week in 2024 so at a conservative estimate that will bring in excess of £660,000 per week just from staging Greyhound meetings so why would they sell ?. 

ENTAIN do run Monmore and took over Ladbrokes 

ARC do run horses at Dunstall Park and Dogs at Perry Barr. 

ARC are moving Dogs to PB. 

They are however and remain 2 totally different Companies and rivals. 

Premier Racing is merely TV rights. 

Horse Racing has 2 main UK broadcasters Sky Racing 415 who have ARC tracks amongst their clients and RUK who have Jockey Club and Irish Racing which used to be with Sky (formerly at the Races ATR) 

The long term plan is that both Monmore and Dunstall Park will run Dogs under their respective Owners on the newly formed greyhound racing channel. 

London used to have numerous dog tracks, Birmingham had PB and Hall Green and Wolverhampton ised to have 2 tracks Monmore and Willenhall. 

4 hours ago, iainb said:

15 minutes by what though? Foot? Running or walking? Car? At what time of day? HS2? Plane?

Seems a funny measurement to use, why not use the internationally recognised unit of measurement of distance? Saying 15 minutes to me suggests it could be up to 15 miles away... would it still then be Wolverhampton?

I did it in 15 mins on Friday afternoon in my van and the traffic was moderate 

• Like 1

On 10/30/2023 at 10:58 PM, orion said:

Perry Barr is the track under threat, TRP/ARC run Dunstall Park and Perry Barr, the planning has gone in at the racecourse because long term they want to build on PB, there was a brief article in the Racing Post a few months back.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

I did it in 15 mins on Friday afternoon in my van and the traffic was moderate 

Let's hope it turns out to be where you think it is then... there's not been any official suggestion as to where it is has there?