British Speedway Forum
longmeadow

Promoters Conference

30 minutes ago, GS550 said:

So why does it have to be in Tenerife?  It doesn't.

No reason why not either

Just their preference  - no big deal

7 minutes ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

Just their preference  - no big deal

Totally, this really is no big deal.

I don't think the optics are great, but really it's not important.

- it's their money

- the cost, in the grand scheme of running a speedway club is tiny

If they think going away for a business is worthwhile then who am I to disagree. Not how I would conduct things in 2023, but not my money.

It won't put any clubs out of business.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tim G said:

Why not, why does it have to be in the UK like you’re demanding?

If it was in the UK he'd be whinging because it would cost a lot more.

I could book a flight to Tenerife now for £58 return.  (Had I booked in advance weeks ago I could get that down to £31 return).   To drive to Rugby and back would cost approx £80 in petrol.

For a three-day conference in Rugby, travelling each day, that would be £240 of petrol.  Or I could book a hotel for 2 nights at maybe £80 per night in a budget hotel, so that's still a total of £240.  Then the BSPL would have to hire a room in ACU house for 3 days.  Split between 20 or so promoters that probably only adds an extra £20 or so.

Two nights in one of Tenerife's numerous hotels is going to cost less than trying to find a Premier Inn in Coventry.   So overall it's considerably cheaper to go to Tenerife.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, RoundTheBoards said:

I could book a flight to Tenerife now for £58 return.  (Had I booked in advance weeks ago I could get that down to £31 return).   To drive to Rugby and back would cost approx £80 in petrol.

For a three-day conference in Rugby, travelling each day, that would be £240 of petrol.  Or I could book a hotel for 2 nights at maybe £80 per night in a budget hotel, so that's still a total of £240.  Then the BSPL would have to hire a room in ACU house for 3 days.  Split between 20 or so promoters that probably only adds an extra £20 or so.

Two nights in one of Tenerife's numerous hotels is going to cost less than trying to find a Premier Inn in Coventry.   So overall it's considerably cheaper to go to Tenerife.

Perhaps @GS550 is used to the finer things in life when he goes to Tenerife... chocolate covered Hob-Nobs for example :D

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Not long to wait now for the Ideas that will revolutionise the Sport.

"They don't need to".....

Sadly, that will be their thoughts all through the meetings held during the season to discuss next year..

And. Even if they did think that they needed to "revolutionise" the sport, it is clear, from past history, that the required skill set doesnt exist with the current incumbents that are in place to make it happen..

32 minutes ago, RoundTheBoards said:

Well said RoundTheBoards.

Some people just moan for the sake of it. Two or three days in Tenerife is no big deal. As long as the promoters have utilised their time wisely then there should be nothing to complain about.

Also, quite a few of the promoters seem to get a fair bit of stick but at least they're keeping the sport going. If they weren't around who would be there to replace them??

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Tinker said:

Well said RoundTheBoards.

Some people just moan for the sake of it. Two or three days in Tenerife is no big deal. As long as the promoters have utilised their time wisely then there should be nothing to complain about.

Also, quite a few of the promoters seem to get a fair bit of stick but at least they're keeping the sport going. If they weren't around who would be there to replace them??

While you might be correct,I would also add the many Supporters Clubs have contributed just as much to keep certain Clubs alive over the seasons.

What boils my pi$$ is why wait so long before having these conferences? Why can’t the conference be done 24 hours after the final meeting of the season? Does someone say “nah we’ll wait for 3 weeks until mid November sometime”? Poland as usual, professional, done and dusted and clubs completing their line ups for 2024!

Edited by Aries
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, RoundTheBoards said:

It seems some posters think that it will be a holiday jaunt.

How long will the meetings take? 6-8 hours? May be a break in between?

Any one would think they are having the meetings on the beach, on sun loungers, drinking San Miguel, sangria or pina coladas!

38 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

While you might be correct,I would also add the many Supporters Clubs have contributed just as much to keep certain Clubs alive over the seasons.

And the many sponsors & fans who have whip rounds for injured riders or mechanical issues.

32 minutes ago, Aries said:

What boils my pi$$ is why wait so long before having these conferences? Why can’t the conference be done 24 hours after the final meeting of the season? Does someone say “nah we’ll wait for 3 weeks until mid November sometime”? Poland as usual, professional, done and dusted and clubs completing their line ups for 2024!

Because it was entirely conceivable that the season could still be going 3 weeks into November? :D

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, KrisB said:

Press release tonight?

Why conference doesn't start till 15th, they will be too busy packing to release a pre conference statement 

34 minutes ago, Neila said:

Why conference doesn't start till 15th, they will be too busy packing to release a pre conference statement 

Maybe a full explanation of the costs involved and a new contract for the exclusive provision of biscuits for the conference from a Turkish biscuit manufacturer looking to break into the sport... they'll probably fall apart as soon as they're dunked though :D