British Speedway Forum
chunky

R.I.P. John Hyam/Gustix/Speedyguy/Jack Keen

I thought he said it was what his young grandchild called him. A mispronunciation of something ?

3 minutes ago, Lefty said:

The Speedy Star used to have a column penned by Angus Kix, who was actually Eric Linden. Is it some reference to this? B)

I am 99 percent sure it is.

16 minutes ago, Lefty said:

The Speedy Star used to have a column penned by Angus Kix, who was actually Eric Linden. Is it some reference to this? B)

Who can forget the 'Glamour League'? Wonder what reaction that would get these days?

5 minutes ago, chunky said:

Who can forget the 'Glamour League'? Wonder what reaction that would get these days?

It would never be allowed. The idea was developed from the Speedway Gazette glamour pictures of the 1940s/1950s.

6 minutes ago, BL65 said:

It would never be allowed. The idea was developed from the Speedway Gazette glamour pictures of the 1940s/1950s.

Ah, the days when birds were happy for a bunch of drooling men to see them in various stages of undress...

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, chunky said:

Ah, the days when birds were happy for a bunch of drooling men to see them in various stages of undress...

You need to get on instagram. It’s amazing what women post up for us all to see for free. 

1 minute ago, Deano said:

You need to get on instagram. It’s amazing what women post up for us all to see for free. 

If only we had the Internet back then...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, iris123 said:

Wasn't Old Don and Kenny Lane also aliases ?

He used Old Don on the London Speedways proboards site. Along with John Hyam, there were contributions from Jack Keen of Erith, Olddon, Gustix and Mrs. Gustix, who we were assured was posting in her own right. The purpose was to make the site look busy during quiet times.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, BL65 said:

He used Old Don on the London Speedways proboards site. Along with John Hyam, there were contributions from Jack Keen of Erith, Olddon, Gustix and Mrs. Gustix, who we were assured was posting in her own right. The purpose was to make the site look busy during quiet times.

Yipes does this mean: Chris Harris, Christopher Harris, C Harris, 'Bomber' Harris,  Chris Harris (G), C Harris (GBR), C Harris (Capt), & C Harris (R/R),  that I read in last week's Speedway Star is the same person? :(

5 minutes ago, Lefty said:

Yipes does this mean: Chris Harris, Christopher Harris, C Harris, 'Bomber' Harris,  Chris Harris (G), C Harris (GBR), C Harris (Capt), & C Harris (R/R),  that I read in last week's Speedway Star is the same person? :(

And Chris Harris (E/F)?

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, BL65 said:

You know, that was something that used to annoy me with John (yes, ONE thing)! If there were no comments on the 'Years Gone By' thread for two or three days, he would always email me and tell me how people had "lost interest" in the BSF. At the same time, he would tell me how great 'Speedwayplus' was, even though the site could go a month or two with no comments!

On 10/28/2023 at 9:26 PM, heathen52 said:

RIP John, whilst always likely to stir things up, John loved his Speedway along with his Stocks.

Oh yes, I'd forgotten that. He was a great lover of midget car racing as well.

6 hours ago, norbold said:

Oh yes, I'd forgotten that. He was a great lover of midget car racing as well.

And flat-track...

I thought Angus Kix was one of Eric Linden's names?