British Speedway Forum
a4poster

Torquay United Football Club.

2 minutes ago, Sir Sidney said:

Yes, the stadium build in progress but not yet in use. The dogs don't need the stadium building 

I thought I had seen elsewhere that the building was only a shell with none of the internal works competed. 

I'd have every expectation that it will never be completed and will be closed down as soon as possible once housing is complete.

We'll have to wait and see I guess

It has to be completed to satisfy planning  no stadium no final phase of houses yes it may close but it has to be fully completed first.

3 minutes ago, Toady said:

It has to be completed to satisfy planning  no stadium no final phase of houses yes it may close but it has to be fully completed first.

Completed to what standard? It's all semantics really.

It will be completed to the minimum possible standard so that the remaining housing can be built.

I predict it will then be swiftly close, with the cost incurred on the build far less than that gained by the land sold for development. 

33 minutes ago, Sir Sidney said:

It will be completed to the minimum possible standard so that the remaining housing can be built.

I predict it will then be swiftly close, with the cost incurred on the build far less than that gained by the land sold for development. 

Maybe so but the question posed was has osbourne ever developed a stadium? the answer has to be yes he has.

Just now, Toady said:

Maybe so but the question posed was has osbourne ever developed a stadium? the answer has to be yes he has.

Sorry to be a pedant, but he is developing a stadium, he hasn't developed it as yet. 

13 hours ago, Sir Sidney said:

Sorry to be a pedant, but he is developing a stadium, he hasn't developed it as yet. 

Ok, but whatever the outcome speedway is almost certainly not going to return to the abbey.

44 minutes ago, defolddad said:

didn't he build a new stand/stadium in Poole 20yrs ago? think that counts.....

A bar/restaurant/stand specifically for the greyhound/gambling fans!

2 hours ago, Toady said:

Ok, but whatever the outcome speedway is almost certainly not going to return to the abbey.

On that I agree with you sadly

On 11/13/2023 at 8:36 PM, Toady said:

What final phase of houses? The car park is being built on and the stand / sound barrier are far from complete - no services, no drainage and just the support for the barrier.

Osborne played a classic "i need more funding to complete the stadium" and the previous SBC bent over..

Edited by frigbo

On 11/13/2023 at 8:42 PM, Sir Sidney said:

Its fair to say the shell is going up but to date no Glaziers, Electricians, Carpenters or Plumbers have been used

56 minutes ago, Technik said:

Its fair to say the shell is going up but to date no Glaziers, Electricians, Carpenters or Plumbers have been used

Just as well, look what they are doing for Man Utd...... :P :D

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Toady said:

You no like him then ? Have a read of this to see if he can change your mind https://www.torbayweekly.co.uk/news/home/1360077/exclusive-clarke-osborne-interview.html

Perhaps this is where Swindon Speedway's new ground will be... where is midway between Swindon and Torquay,  Yeovil? They already have a quite famous football club, how about Glastonbury? The Glastonbury Druids?

:D

Edited by iainb