British Speedway Forum
HGould

Sport related Manslaughter charge

Forgive me if there is a thread about this elsewhere, if there is I can't find it. 

It is being reported that someone has been arrested on suspicion of manslaughter in relation to an Ice Hockey death. 

Whilst not knowing anything about this incident surely it opens up a concerning issue for contact sports. 

Speedway is in many ways one of the most dangerous non contact sports where contact occurs. It has a bond of respect that very few cross. 

I'm drawn to the tragic injury a dear friends son suffered many years ago in the Rugby field. Paralysed from neck down by a rival who repeatedly took front row down illegally. 

IF this ice hockey case ends in a prison sentence it would send shock waves reverberating through many sports. Especially when an independent Jury of 12 are making judgements on sometimes split second incidents on technical sporting matters they have no knowledge of. 

Thoughts of course with all affected by the sad ice hockey matter. 

Edited by HGould
Spelling

It was a horrific incident. Adam Johnson and his loved ones have been in my thoughts a lot recently. As have everyone else who witnessed it.

Not knowing much about Ice Hockey, to my mind there seems to be a lot of conjecture about what happened and finger pointing, none of which is good for anyone. Some people perhaps commenting purely with the intention of stirring up controversy or using a man’s death for internet points. 

These things have to be handled on a case by case basis. Hopefully we never have to deal with something like this in speedway. If we do we can only hope it is dealt with in the correct and a respectful manner. 

I think it most important that we avoid comment until more information about this case has been released to the public. We simply do not know enough to be able to draw any conclusions.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Midgetracer said:

I think it most important that we avoid comment until more information about this case has been released to the public. 

The video of the incident has been out there in public on the internet since the day it happened.  (Although I don't recommend watching it.  I saw it without realising what I was about to watch).

I'd say it was a freak accident the type of which could happen in any dangerous contact sport.

43 minutes ago, Chris said:

Not surprised he's been charged. 

Looks deliberate & was no accident.

Although Matt Petgrave is a very dirty player and has been the leagues villain since he joined Sheffield, I wouldn't say that he ever got on the ice with the intentions of killing another player. Yes, he is a very rough player, delivering a lot of dirty hits and racking up the most penalty minutes in the league. I've said everytime I visit Sheffield, it's only a matter or time before he gets a big suspension or seriously hurts someone.

Although watching the incident, he does wave his legs in the air, which is of itself is very dangerous, I don't believe he ever had the intentions to do what he did... Although I do realise that's not going to stop him being charged if the case goes down that path...

A lot of incidents in ice hockey are intended to hurt the opposition, it's part of the game, but what happened to Adam Johnson was something else. Why on earth would a hockey player lift his leg that high? Absolutely crazy, I'm not surprised he's been charged. He actually did something to the lad around 10 years previously, his leg was lower but the way he went in was totally over the top. 

I had this very thought last night when I read the news. It does make you wonder what path it might lead sport down if it comes to pass. I don't think anything will come of it, and it's probably a due process type thing, but it could make things very different in all sports.

It's always seemed like when you pass the touchline to whatever field/track/court you're on then the 'normal' rules essentially disappear. 

8 hours ago, Diamonds85 said:

Although watching the incident, he does wave his legs in the air, which is of itself is very dangerous, I don't believe he ever had the intentions to do what he did... Although I do realise that's not going to stop him being charged if the case goes down that path...

If somebody plans an action with the intention of killing somebody then the charge of murder is applicable. 
if the action wasn’t planned to cause death but does so, then the “lesser” charge of manslaughter would apply. 
No sport or person taking part in sport is exempt from common law. That said, circumstances  exist in full contact sports such as boxing where both participants agree to a set of rules to play to which could result in a participants death. However, an action by a boxer outside of the rules of the sport causing permanent injury or death could result in criminal charges being made. 

Edited by 1 valve
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Diamonds85 said:

Although Matt Petgrave is a very dirty player and has been the leagues villain since he joined Sheffield, I wouldn't say that he ever got on the ice with the intentions of killing another player. Yes, he is a very rough player, delivering a lot of dirty hits and racking up the most penalty minutes in the league. I've said everytime I visit Sheffield, it's only a matter or time before he gets a big suspension or seriously hurts someone.

That's why he's been charged with manslaughter rather than murder. I haven't seen the video so not going to make any judgment on the case, but if the intention is to intentionally injure someone and they die as a result, then that is manslaughter. 

There's always been a bit of a debate of where the law starts and finishes in a sporting arena. It's a while ago now but i seem to remember something in football many years ago, 1 was to do with Duncan Ferguson and the other Gary Mabbutt and "Fash the bash".

Thankfully I can't recall anything similar in Speedway, I suppose the equivalent in Speedway would be somebody with a reputation like Nicki Pedersen going too far and "fencing" an opponent with the worst possible outcome. Then it's a matter of opinion of whether it was a deliberate action or not. 

Fortunately, as far as I'm aware, the sport has never had to deal with this, but it came very close this summer with the Craig Cook incident.

Edited by iainb

I first thought guy 'A' defender had check/barged an attacker  that forced his leg to lift and accidentally hit the victim in the neck...I know nothing about Ice Hockey but reading almost all the comments below most seem to say it was deliberate...

It isn't a pleasant watch but it is on 'Inside Edition' you tube channel.

2 hours ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

That's why he's been charged with manslaughter 

He hasn't been charged with manslaughter.     He was arrested and bailed pending further enquiries.

• Thanks 1

Is there not an incident which was brought up not long ago of 2 female rugby players, one of which when tackled was on the ground bent over & the attacker jumped on top of her fracturing her neck or spine & is now confined to a wheelchair. The said attacker, apparently, had history & was done for Actual Bodily Harm.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/paralysed-rugby-compensation-court-case-29296088

Edited by IronScorpion
story found
  • Sad 1