British Speedway Forum
a4poster

Speedway of Nations 2024

SoN - Really in the balance for me. 

We were planning to go to the SoN2 / Final (Fri + Sat) - 3 adults and a 14 year old. Hotel is £450 for the two days , SoN £380/£245 approx depending on whether standing or sitting. Not included return train from London and then of course food and drinks over the weekend. So for a weekend in Manchester,  all in probably looking at £1000+  

I will see what the kids want to do BUT personally I would rather spend more and go to Torun for a SGP. 

When I first saw the cost I don't think they will be needing the temp stand on bends 3/4   

5 hours ago, Hackett said:

Wont be at the Crucible for much longer. Sounds like Hearn has sold his soul to the Saudi's = All in the manner of business of course. 

I understand Crucible has a contract for 3 more years…..to mark 50 years at the Crucible….thats amazing.  I like watching snooker, but it can’t match the excitement of a speedway meeting, actually ……nothing can.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Hackett said:

We were planning to go to the SoN2 / Final (Fri + Sat) - 3 adults and a 14 year old. Hotel is £450 for the two days , SoN £380/£245 approx depending on whether standing or sitting. Not included return train from London and then of course food and drinks over the weekend. So for a weekend in Manchester,  all in probably looking at £1000+  

I will see what the kids want to do BUT personally I would rather spend more and go to Torun for a SGP. 

When I first saw the cost I don't think they will be needing the temp stand on bends 3/4   

You could go to Torun for a week and spend LESS

On 4/24/2024 at 11:48 PM, Hackett said:

When you put it like that I'd be taking the Torun option.

There is no doubt that the overall four meeting package is "just about ok' for the standing option..

(Not quite sure the same for sitting)...

However. The factor that is the main gamble for the four meeting option is that it only really favours Aces and maybe Sheffield fans..

(About 3500 max between them in total if they all turn up.)

For everyone else, 90 mins plus away from the track, four trips there and back wont be something to look forward to and will cost a fair few quid in transport costs..

And for those further afield, the inevitable hotel costs will be another "big outlay"...

Going to be a tough sell I feel, but hopefully wrong..

Me and my lad will go to the final and watch the rest on TV..

£180 or so for both of us for all the meetings and we would have gone to all four..

The last time it was just two meetings, and, to be fair, the price per meeting isn't that much more..

But. Getting enough to fork out for all four to make the first 3 meetings look good in TV will be the main challenge..

4 hours ago, mikebv said:

There is no doubt that the overall four meeting package is "just about ok' for the standing option..

(Not quite sure the same for sitting)...

However. The factor that is the main gamble for the four meeting option is that it only really favours Aces and maybe Sheffield fans..

(About 3500 max between them in total if they all turn up.)

For everyone else, 90 mins plus away from the track, four trips there and back wont be something to look forward to and will cost a fair few quid in transport costs..

And for those further afield, the inevitable hotel costs will be another "big outlay"...

Going to be a tough sell I feel, but hopefully wrong..

Me and my lad will go to the final and watch the rest on TV..

£180 or so for both of us for all the meetings and we would have gone to all four..

The last time it was just two meetings, and, to be fair, the price per meeting isn't that much more..

But. Getting enough to fork out for all four to make the first 3 meetings look good in TV will be the main challenge..

You make some great points. I'd like to ask a question for those 'in the know'. I went to SWC in Wroclaw last year (incredible trip, would highly recommend) and the two semis and race off were pretty poor by what I had expected from that track but apparently it was to preserve the track for the final. I don't know if that's true, but if it is then is the NSS in a similar situation?

12 hours ago, Monarchs2468 said:

You make some great points. I'd like to ask a question for those 'in the know'. I went to SWC in Wroclaw last year (incredible trip, would highly recommend) and the two semis and race off were pretty poor by what I had expected from that track but apparently it was to preserve the track for the final. I don't know if that's true, but if it is then is the NSS in a similar situation?

The problem is every meeting has a practise same day so thats equivalent of 8 meetings over 4 days which is a lot of wear on the track. 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Rob B said:

The problem is every meeting has a practise same day so thats equivalent of 8 meetings over 4 days which is a lot of wear on the track. 

For that reason I don't know why they only use one track. I would think they'd get more fans if it was held at different tracks as you'd get 2 or more sets of "home" fans attending, rather than some just attending the final?

On 4/20/2024 at 11:08 AM, R87 said:

The best riders in the world racing on the only British track worthwhile watching speedway at might be the reason 

For a GP / SWC I'd agree, could be the best meeting of the year. But a best pairs on a track not really suited for team riding, where the rider in second doesn't need to try to pass they guy winning, might not be as great a spectacle.