British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
chunky

How Many Teams - and How Many Years?

Okay.... So everyone thinks that British speedway is on its last legs, largely due to the reduction in the number of tracks. In 2023, there were 19 tracks hosting league action - the same number as in other post-covid years. Doesn't seem like many does it? Particularly with the loss of Peterborough and Wolves.

Are you aware that there have been a total of 14 seasons with fewer tracks hosting "official" (league) fixtures? A few will remember 1958, when the National League dropped to 10 teams - plus a reserve team from Yarmouth. Everyone thought speedway was dead then. It didn't die. As early as 1935 we had a season with only SEVEN teams in league action - and six of those were London teams!

Anyway, now I've eased your worries, let's look at how many tracks have staged league  racing since 1929, and how many seasons they have run. That last part of the sentence is the scary thing...

I've compiled a list of tracks. When a team changed names (St. Austell, Arena Essex), but rode at the same track, that counts as one. When a team rode at different tracks (Glasgow, Belle Vue) that counts as one. This includes years where a team did not complete the season, but rode in at least one official fixture. Track shares are not counted as separate.

88 - Belle Vue
75 -  Coventry
74 - Poole
73 - Sheffield
71 - Swindon
67 - Glasgow
66 -  Ipswich
63 - Wolverhampton
62 - Edinburgh, Newcastle
61 - Oxford, Wimbledon
59 - Stoke
59 - Eastbourne
56 -  King's Lynn
54 -  Berwick, Exeter
53 - Peterborough
46 - Leicester
45 - Birmingham, Rye House
44 - Mildenhall
42 - Cradley Heath
40 - Reading
38 - Middlesbrough
35 - Arena Essex, Hackney
34 - Workington
33 - Plymouth
32 - Bradford, Scunthorpe
30 -  Long Eaton, West Ham
29 - Newport
25 - Buxton, Halifax, Southampton
24 - Hull, Wembley
22 - Isle of Wight, Norwich
20 - Canterbury, Somerset, Weymouth
19 - Rayleigh
17 - Boston, Harringay, New Cross, Redcar
16 - Bristol
15 - Milton Keynes

Edited by chunky
  • Like 1

That's a very interesting breakdown and makes for fascinating reading.

Interesting stuff. Is the cut-off point of 15 significant for any reason?

1 hour ago, norbold said:

Interesting stuff. Is the cut-off point of 15 significant for any reason?

Not really... I will post the rest of the teams later, but I didn't want to make a single post too large and unwieldy!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, steve roberts said:

That's a very interesting breakdown and makes for fascinating reading.

Well, I was thinking about it, and while speedway fans love stats, they never seem to post that particular stat.

So, here are the remaining teams by the number of seasons :

12 - Crayford, Ellesmere Port, St. Austell
10 - Kent, Liverpool
9 -  Yarmouth
7 - Coatbridge, Crewe, Lea Bridge

6 - Aldershot, Barrow, Crystal Palace, Iwade, Nottingham
5 - Glasgow Ashfield, Birmingham Hall Green, Linlithgow, Sunderland
4 - Armadale, Cardiff, Fleetwood, Motherwell, Rochdale, Romford, Stamford Bridge, Tamworth, Walthamstow, London White City
3 - California, Carmarthen, Leeds, Nelson, Preston, Wombwell
2 - Barnsley, Brafield, Doncaster, Hastings, High Beech, Leicester Super, Paisley, Ringwood, Skegness, Warrington, Manchester White City
1 - Bolton, Burnley, Dagenham, Neath, Salford, Smallford, Wigan

• Like 1

An interesting post. Certainly the sport was in the doldrums in 1958, but one big difference then and now was that in 1958 there were many stadia ready and waiting for speedway to be staged there. Hence, it was relatively easy matter to re-open 10 tracks when the Provincial League started and even Division 2 in 1968 saw a number ot tracks re-open. Where today are the stadia that could easily stage speedway? A much smaller number, I think

46 minutes ago, Chadster said:

An interesting post. Certainly the sport was in the doldrums in 1958, but one big difference then and now was that in 1958 there were many stadia ready and waiting for speedway to be staged there. Hence, it was relatively easy matter to re-open 10 tracks when the Provincial League started and even Division 2 in 1968 saw a number ot tracks re-open. Where today are the stadia that could easily stage speedway? A much smaller number, I think

Very valid point. Again, when people complain about the sport's demise being down to the speedway authorities, I am always quick to point out that the lack of venues is just as much to blame. Particularly with the decline of greyhound racing... Ah, the days when speedway was a "city centre" sport...

Great post(s)...

Wow! 88 seasons of racing for Belle Vue, and all incredibly within a stones throw of each other at three different tracks...

And WW2 didn't stop the racing there either...

Interesting indeed. Very much at the start of my speedway supporting career. The National league continued to decline I think to only 6 teams in the early sixties, before amalgamation took place in 1965 ? Maintained a number of different competition to keep interest throughout a season - and didn’t have a silly p off system. 
There are still a number of venues that could  support speedway ( the tracks still are there) , but I see neither a chance of them becoming financially viable, nor the landlords wanting speedway to take place  
bradford odsal. eastbourne rye house Sittingbourne Swindon Buxton coventry lakeside Wolverhampton 

I am sure there are others . But the economics of opening a speedway track in 2024 are vastly different to that in 1960 when the provincial league started . Thinking back I cannot remember where all the riders came from to get the Provincial league up and running. ??

1 hour ago, old bob at herne bay said:

The National league continued to decline I think to only 6 teams in the early sixties, before amalgamation took place in 1965 ?

There were seven teams in 1964, the lowest it got to.

9 hours ago, old bob at herne bay said:

Thinking back I cannot remember where all the riders came from to get the Provincial league up and running. ??

A few meetings were staged in Scotland at White City, Motherwell and Edinburgh in the late 1950s. The excellent book by Philip Dalling, 'Saving Speedway - The Provincial League & The Southern Area League', explains the role the SAL played in providing opportunities in the south of England prior to the formation of the PL. There were also a few open-licence meetings in the south-west in 1959. Riders from these tracks, together with some coming out of retirement, combined with novices from training schools in the north to form the PL teams.

9 hours ago, norbold said:

There were seven teams in 1964, the lowest it got to.

Although during the winter of 63/64 between the closure of Sotton and the surprise re-opening of West Ham (anounced just a few weeks before the season start) there were only six.

Something I found in my files  - a graph of senior teams over the last forty years. While my  projection looks pessimistic given Oxford and Workington coming back, the trend is still downward. 

Screenshot_20230417-194821.jpg