British Speedway Forum
Matt Davis

Oxford Spires 2024

This Oxford side is full of question marks.

Magic will he still be the Magic that was at Poole 8 years ago or will he be more like a KK or Laguta. 

Wright coming back from a bad injury without the wide open spaces of B.V. to get his confidence back could struggle. Before anyone says anything I’ve always liked Wright  an out & out racer.

Harris, well you know what your going to get a great team man who is still a proven heat leader. Great if tracks are rough will always get stuck in.

Tungate, as an Ipswich supporter I can only say hugely frustrating. Has bags of talent & ability however has never really fulfilled it. With his gating gloves on you won’t get near him. However if he misses the start or is tight situations always seems to come off 2nd best.

Klint, was poor at the start of last season & really started to hit some form. One of the best visiting riders I’ve seen at Ipswich & he can gate. My concern is the injury he is coming back from.

The two reserves I agree Kerr is probably the best reserve in the league as thing’s currently stand & Ashton is probably one of the best talents in his age group anywhere. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spin king said:

I think that you will find that Kerr has only been dropped once due to poor form, and that was the 2022 season at Kings Lynn.

Sheffield last season was down to the injuries to other riders and nothing to do with his form.

I would say that Palm Toft is a gamble he never seems to finish a season without injury. 

A matter of opinion..Kerr was in poor form just before the team changes  .But at the end of day he was dropped- replaced no matter what the reasons.. .

Oxford are severely underrated imo, They've got at least 4 riders who can get around any track whether it's technical or not, It's a 3rd/4th placed team imo behind Ips/Sheff and possibly behind BV too, Way better than the overhyped KL, Better than Leicester that looks like a one track pony team and better than Brum who won't have any strong 2nd strings.

Maciej Janowski only got the chop from the GP's out of wokeness to hit diversity targets, He finished 3rd in 2022 so he's not declining in the slightest, Like Ellis just one bad season.

Chris Harris always puts the big boys to the sword in British Speedway, He's made a career out of it, Always gets written off but he's a top signing for anyone.

Rohan Tungate is a rider who's improved in recent seasons, Seen what he's capable of when riding for Belle Vue as well as a few meetings for Ipswich in 2022, May struggle around Leicester but apart from that almost every track is big and that suits Rohan down to the ground.

Charles Wright is a very consistent performer who's Home and Away average in 2023 are identical around the 6.5 mark (Excluding BP's) and he's going to ride at 2 instead of 3/4.

Nicolai Klindt spent part of the season at No.1 for KL, When he switched to No.5 he then started to score double figures almost every week.

Lewis Kerr has years of experience over the British youngsters at reserve in 2023 and he'll be the best reserve in the league imo.

Edited by TTT
  • Like 2

On 12/1/2023 at 10:25 AM, Ben91 said:

Devalues the competition. If one club doesn’t care about the cup enough to enter then why should any of the other clubs or their fans care. Teams shouldn’t be picking and choosing if they enter the KO Cup or not. 

Oxford website says we entered the league too late to be able to compete. While I don't see the logic, nothing to do with the club not caring enough or picking and choosing.

1 hour ago, orion said:

A matter of opinion..Kerr was in poor form just before the team changes  .But at the end of day he was dropped- replaced no matter what the reasons.. .

Poor form ? Now you are definitely on the wind up. The arrival of Tai had seen them linking up really well and Kerr back on form. Not sure what you expect from a number 6, but his last 6 meetings for Sheffield were 5, 7, 5+1, 6, 6+2, 9+4.

• Like 1

For a return into the top flight I think its a good side. I do think it will take time to get going though. Remember Magic, Nikolai, Rohan are all new to this track. Its also bombers and Wright's first season at the club. You may see oxford start very slow but get better as this goes on. Abit like leicester last year. 

48 minutes ago, DaveWayne said:

Poor form ? Now you are definitely on the wind up. The arrival of Tai had seen them linking up really well and Kerr back on form. Not sure what you expect from a number 6, but his last 6 meetings for Sheffield were 5, 7, 5+1, 6, 6+2, 9+4.

For the so called best Reserve in the league ..i dont think 5 7 6. 6  is really anything to shout about....Gilkes outscored him in one those matches . 

Edited by orion
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, FromBendThree said:

Are some Poole fans thinking: we are in the wrong league? Prem getting stronger as CL watered down.

Listening to Danny Ford on the speedway podcast you get the feeling that in his ideal world he'd be running a PL team in the CL!

52 minutes ago, orion said:

For the so called best Reserve in the league ..i dont think 5 7 6. 6  is really anything to shout about....Gilkes outscored him in one those matches . 

What’s scores are a good reserve supposed to regularly score then? If a reserve is banging 9,10,11s regularly then they aren’t a reserve are they 

• Like 2

It is a good team but it isn't great though imo. Also Magic, Tungate and Klindt haven't rode the new Oxford track yet. So you want to be visiting first! 

2 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

It is a good team but it isn't great though imo. Also Magic, Tungate and Klindt haven't rode the new Oxford track yet. So you want to be visiting first! 

A few unreliable riders in that team ..

12 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

Doubt any of them will have a problem adjusting to the track, Oxford isn't a tricky track,  don't remember Magic having a problem with any track when he rode for Poole.

2 hours ago, Hilly said:

Oxford website says we entered the league too late to be able to compete. While I don't see the logic, nothing to do with the club not caring enough or picking and choosing.

Yet Birmingham are in the cup. Sounds like an excuse to me.