British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Matt Davis

Oxford Spires 2024

59 minutes ago, Grachan said:

I think they might have worried that if they CL team wasn't called The Cheetahs people might desert it for the PL team.

Nicknames can mean a lot, don't you agree Toady? :D

It’s an unusual name but we will get used to it . End of the day need to remember it’s three very separate teams so can’t name them Cheetahs 2 or whatever . Nicknames don’t matter it’s all about Oxford isn’t it ?

For me Oxford Cheetahs should have been the Prem side, Oxford Chargers or Rebels or Silver Machine for the Champ side & Oxford Cubs or Cheetah Cubs for the NL side.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grachan said:

Morris Oxford. That's a car don't you know.

Yeh, that’s what I was getting at with morris men 

24 minutes ago, Toady said:

Yeh, that’s what I was getting at with morris men 

I was assuming, of course, that you know that my surname is Morris - which you may or may not.

44 minutes ago, Grachan said:

I was assuming, of course, that you know that my surname is Morris - which you may or may not.

Are you Maurice Morris ?

A name to rival the Neville brothers father.

1 hour ago, Grachan said:

No didn’t know,  pure coincidence only , my reference was to the heritage of the Morris to Oxford, Cowley, Isis etc etc

17 minutes ago, Toady said:

No didn’t know,  pure coincidence only , my reference was to the heritage of the Morris to Oxford, Cowley, Isis etc etc

Ha ha. I thought they were topical jokes based on my name and then suddenly realised that you can't actually see what my name is!

Surely as they're OX in COWley, a more meaty, bovine theme, Oxford Bulls, Buffalos, Bos or Bison. Or Blackbirds after the local estate. Royals or Cavaliers as it was Civil War HQ. Or Morrismen after the nearby car factory. As they race in yellow, the Daffodils, Pansies, Great T1ts. The best name would be Oxfam Robins:) Where did that Silver Machine name come from? The Spires is not inspiring.

Edited by auntie doris

2 minutes ago, auntie doris said:

Surely as they're OX in COWley, a more meaty, bovine theme, Oxford Bulls, Buffalos, Bos or Bison. Or Blackbirds after the local estate. Royals or Cavaliers as it was Civil War HQ. As they race in yellow, the Daffodils, Pansies. The best name would be Robins:) Where did that Silver Machine name come from?

Nigel wagstaff via King’s Lynn he wasn’t allowed to use cheetah’s so used silver machine instead which of course was a single by hawkwind in the 70s I believe 

9 minutes ago, Toady said:

Nigel wagstaff via King’s Lynn he wasn’t allowed to use cheetah’s so used silver machine instead which of course was a single by hawkwind in the 70s I believe 

I know Simon King, one time drummer was from Ox, plus fellow Hawk Nik Turner was born there. There's another name, Hawks!

Edited by auntie doris

14 minutes ago, auntie doris said:

Surely as they're OX in COWley, a more meaty, bovine theme, Oxford Bulls, Buffalos, Bos or Bison. Or Blackbirds after the local estate. Royals or Cavaliers as it was Civil War HQ. Or Morrismen after the nearby car factory. As they race in yellow, the Daffodils, Pansies. The best name would be Oxfam Robins:) Where did that Silver Machine name come from? The Spires is not inspiring.

Oxford Dons, or Blues or Punters r even Oxford Balls rather than Bulls :D

6 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Oxford Dons, or Blues or Punters r even Oxford Balls rather than Bulls :D

Bullocks is better:D

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, auntie doris said:

Bullocks is better:D

Bulldogs is another one with university associations (the uni police)

... ah but on second thoughts didn't somebody else nearby try that one.

22 hours ago, auntie doris said:

Surely as they're OX in COWley, a more meaty, bovine theme, Oxford Bulls, Buffaloes, Bos or Bison. Or Blackbirds after the local estate. Royals or Cavaliers as it was Civil War HQ. Or Morrismen after the nearby car factory. As they race in yellow, the Daffodils, Pansies, Great T1ts. The best name would be Oxfam Robins:) Where did that Silver Machine name come from? The Spires is not inspiring.

Birmingham have already used these names!