British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Matt Davis

Oxford Spires 2024

Regarding responses (or lack of) from promoters at clubs. I won 2 free tickets to a match via the Speedy scores game on twitter. Got a message from the official British speedway account informing me.

On July 24th told them of the match I'd like, on August 6th reminded them I hadn't got an answer, on August 17th reminded them I still hadn't got an answer, on August 18th they replied saying they'd look into it.

On August 21st queried again & got the information I was after on August 22nd.

They may have been nudged into action by a friend who knew someone on the social media team speaking to them.

Obviously I kept on at them as it was a free ticket I had won. But if this was an attempt by me to purchase a ticket etc, i would have long given up & they would have lost a sale.

Speedway promotions can't afford to alinatate any fans, while it's struggling in this country, so clubs have got to gets their acts together sharpish, when dealing with emails from supporters etc.

Edited by szkocjasid
  • Like 1

Just now, szkocjasid said:

Regarding responses (or lack of) from promoters at clubs. I won 2 free tickets to a match via the Speedy scores game on twitter. Got a message from the official British speedway account informing me.

On July 24th told them of the match I'd like, on August 6th reminded them I hadn't got an answer, on August 17th reminded them I still hadn't got an answer, on August 18th they replied saying they'd look into it.

On August 21st queried again & got the information I was after on August 22nd.

They may have been nudged into action by a friend who knew someone on the social media team speaking to them.

Obviously I kept on at them as it was a free ticket I had won. But if this was an attempt by me to purchase a ticket etc, i would have long given up & they would have lost a sale.

Speedway promotions can't afford to alinatate any fans, while it's struggling in this country & should want to even if it were successful - so clubs have got to gets their acts together sharpish, when dealing with emails from supporters etc.

A perfect example of why the sport is in the self inflicted position it is..

If they had to work out who is allowed to guest, or which assessed average should apply, then you can be sure that this would be top of the agenda..

A professional, joined up, national marketing of the sport, with "great customer experience" of the sport, is a long long way down the list...

It costs very little to get so much right in business...

I really like the look of the Oxford team. Got a good number one, then 4 third heat leaders / strong second strings.

Plus Lewis Kerr as a fabulous reserve. I think this is where Oxford biggest strength is, I'd rate Kerr above second strings such as Blodorn, Z.Cook, Rew, Palm-Toft & Howarth.

To me they are certainly play-off candidates, but so are the other 5 completed teams. Hopefully set for a very exciting season.

Edited by szkocjasid
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, szkocjasid said:

I really like the look of the Oxford team. Got a good number one, then 4 third heat leaders / strong second strings.

Plus Lewis Kerr as a fabulous reserve. I think this is where Oxford biggest strength is, I'd rate Kerr above second strings such as Blodorn, Z.Cook, Rew, Palm-Toft & Howarth.

To me they are certainly play-off candidates, but so are the other 5 completed teams. Hopefully set for a very exciting season.

Same here.

They're strong title contenders imo.

Out and out No.1, No weak link in the engine room, Strong No.6 all season etc. They tick all the boxes.

Don't see them as champions but all things being equal they are play off certainties I'd say. 

39 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

Don't see them as champions but all things being equal they are play off certainties I'd say. 

Recent history suggests it all depends on whether they are the team to shoehorn ''play off Bob'' in at the end of the season...;)

On 1/13/2024 at 1:07 PM, Hilly said:

Whilst it should not come down to fans doing this, I have made contact with the clubs media partner to highlight this and asked that they make contact with you asap. No club can afford to lose out on potential revenue. To be fair, they came back to me asking for more details so I hope they are now on the case.

Hi Hilly. Are you connected to the club?

I sent an email of 4 January, to the "club" email and the "tickets" email, asking:

"I was wondering about your 10 meeting pass that you mention on your website. Can this be shared between 2 people. Would I, for example, be able to use it for both my son and myself on the same night - making that two meetings out of the 10?"

EDIT - seeing your response has in"spire"d me to re-send it so let's see if I get a reply this time.

Edited by Grachan
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Grachan said:

Hi Hilly. Are you connected to the club?

I sent an email of 4 January, to the "club" email and the "tickets" email, asking:

"I was wondering about your 10 meeting pass that you mention on your website. Can this be shared between 2 people. Would I, for example, be able to use it for both my son and myself on the same night - making that two meetings out of the 10?"

Hi, I'm just a long standing fan, I sent a PM via X and got the reply mentioned. 

Personally i can see no reason why you could not use the pass in that way. I hope you get a response quickly, there really is no excuse for poor communication, especially when they seem to be using a separate company to deal with this side of things.

1 hour ago, Bagpuss said:

Out of curiosity, who do you think will finish out of the play-off spots (besides Birmingham)?

5 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

Out of curiosity, who do you think will finish out of the play-off spots (besides Birmingham)?

I think I went Lynn and Leicester in my prediction thread post, therefore a top four of. Ippo, Sheffield, BV & Oxford.

12 hours ago, TTT said:

Same here.

They're strong title contenders imo.

Out and out No.1, No weak link in the engine room, Strong No.6 all season etc. They tick all the boxes.

Magic is hardly a out and out no 1 . he's a rider going downhill fast hence why he had to ride back here in the first place . as i said before they will wont  get enough heat winners away from home to win a a title with this 7 . Play offs would be a good season .

Not sure how 6 second strings tick every box 

Edited by orion

7 hours ago, orion said:

Magic is hardly a out and out no 1 . he's a rider going downhill fast hence why he had to ride back here in the first place . as i said before they will wont  get enough heat winners away from home to win a a title with this 7 . Play offs would be a good season .

Not sure how 6 second strings tick every box 

They have a rider who just won the Australian title, not sure how he can be regarded as a second string, Magic may not be as good as some of the number ones now but he will still do a great job for the team and Bomber is still a heat leader in my view, Klindt is a great gater and will win many races. I think this team are play off certainties.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, foreverblue said:

They have a rider who just won the Australian title, not sure how he can be regarded as a second string, Magic may not be as good as some of the number ones now but he will still do a great job for the team and Bomber is still a heat leader in my view, Klindt is a great gater and will win many races. I think this team are play off certainties.

The difference when it comes to the play offs will be Bomber, I think Oxford could do very well this year. Looking forward to seeing the team on track starting March 14th! Not far away. 
Tungate has a past history of doing very well on Aussie and in Central Europe but his form goes off in the UK, let’s hope this year is the year he breaks that mould.

22 minutes ago, Pirates Of Poole said:

The difference when it comes to the play offs will be Bomber, I think Oxford could do very well this year. Looking forward to seeing the team on track starting March 14th! Not far away. 
Tungate has a past history of doing very well on Aussie and in Central Europe but his form goes off in the UK, let’s hope this year is the year he breaks that mould.

Tungate has a pretty decent average considering we had stronger riders in the league the last time he rode here. I think Oxford are going to have an exciting season with the riders they have chosen. 

1 hour ago, foreverblue said:

Tungate has a pretty decent average considering we had stronger riders in the league the last time he rode here. I think Oxford are going to have an exciting season with the riders they have chosen. 

tungate rode for ipswich year before last? league looks the strongest its looked this year in a very long time imo! tungsten quick on big fast tracks, often struggles on tighter tracks he has to turn the bike hard

Edited by 89buttons