British Speedway Forum
Matt Davis

Oxford Spires 2024

Looking to maybe head along to the meeting against Leicester next Monday as I’m in the area. What’s the best bet for parking? Nothing obvious on the website re. suggestions. Any help appreciated. 

That’s the way the cookie crumbles, good signing ,can beat anyone on his night and is in good form in 24

2 hours ago, JanAndersen said:

Looking to maybe head along to the meeting against Leicester next Monday as I’m in the area. What’s the best bet for parking? Nothing obvious on the website re. suggestions. Any help appreciated. 

It is there, but not very well sign posted. (Contrast with Birmingham's excellent graphic)

Car Parking Information
Due to limited parking at the stadium, free parking will be available thanks to Unipart at their site just a short walk from the stadium (approx 800m) on a first come first served basis, please remember to select this option if required when purchasing your tickets as this will be required when arriving at the car park.
A free shuttle bus service will be provided to and from the stadium from the Unipart car park site.
Unipart postcode OX4 2PG

1 hour ago, arnieg said:

It is there, but not very well sign posted. (Contrast with Birmingham's excellent graphic)

Car Parking Information
Due to limited parking at the stadium, free parking will be available thanks to Unipart at their site just a short walk from the stadium (approx 800m) on a first come first served basis, please remember to select this option if required when purchasing your tickets as this will be required when arriving at the car park.
A free shuttle bus service will be provided to and from the stadium from the Unipart car park site.
Unipart postcode OX4 2PG

Perfect thanks. 

5 hours ago, JanAndersen said:

In addition to what arnieg said, there's also loads of street parking. You'll struggle to get anywhere on Sandy Lane, but always spaces on Balfour Road (a less than 5-min walk from the stadium) if you get there within 30mins of it starting. No restrictions on any of the roads.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, JanAndersen said:

If you are definitely going, remember to get your ticket at least the day before to avoid an additional cost.

• Like 1

Really hope cook does well for Oxford a lot of negative comments have been written in this forum over time. His going well for workington hopefully bring some form into the Premiership and get back to a standard seen before. I’m sure if it goes well with Oxford during the course of the season he will get plenty of guess bookings with injuries etc 

33 minutes ago, 1stbender said:

Really hope cook does well for Oxford a lot of negative comments have been written in this forum over time. His going well for workington hopefully bring some form into the Premiership and get back to a standard seen before. I’m sure if it goes well with Oxford during the course of the season he will get plenty of guess bookings with injuries etc 

You seem to think he will stay beyond the 28 days he has signed up for, are you not expecting Lewis Kerr to return. I think it would be very harsh not to have Lewis back.

7 hours ago, foreverblue said:

You seem to think he will stay beyond the 28 days he has signed up for, are you not expecting Lewis Kerr to return. I think it would be very harsh not to have Lewis back.

The harsh reality is that an on form craig cook is a far better rider than Lewis Kerr.

IF cook does well in the 28 days then Oxfords hand may well be forced.

I'm still quite surprised Oxford signed Craig Cook as an injury replacement. Peter Schroeck was pretty adamant the team would use guests to replace Kerr, with Scott Nicholls taking the majority of those. As good as Cook has been so far this season, I doubt he will score the points Nicholls would have done. Is Nicholls no longer available? Or has the decision been made with a focus on the longer term?

3 hours ago, Bojangles said:

I'm still quite surprised Oxford signed Craig Cook as an injury replacement. Peter Schroeck was pretty adamant the team would use guests to replace Kerr, with Scott Nicholls taking the majority of those. As good as Cook has been so far this season, I doubt he will score the points Nicholls would have done. Is Nicholls no longer available? Or has the decision been made with a focus on the longer term?

Well Scott has said for the last couple of seasons he doesn't want Premiership full time so I would imagine that is the reason, Scott is very good at Oxford, almost unbeatable at Championship level so will be a big miss. Cook has been terrific for Workington so a bit of a no-brainer if Scott is not available full time.

7 hours ago, Midget said:

The harsh reality is that an on form craig cook is a far better rider than Lewis Kerr.

IF cook does well in the 28 days then Oxfords hand may well be forced.

If Cook continues his form for Workington then he will be good for Oxford but Lewis was on fire prior to injury so it would be harsh to drop him, my opinion is that they will keep Cook and retain Lewis leaving them with a decision on who else to drop. 

1 hour ago, foreverblue said:

If Cook continues his form for Workington then he will be good for Oxford but Lewis was on fire prior to injury so it would be harsh to drop him, my opinion is that they will keep Cook and retain Lewis leaving them with a decision on who else to drop. 

Oxford are 2.33 below the limit, with Janowski due to drop about 2.5 off his starting average. They could make wholesale changes, that is if they can find more top class heat leaders who want to race in GB.

1 hour ago, foreverblue said:

Well Scott has said for the last couple of seasons he doesn't want Premiership full time so I would imagine that is the reason, Scott is very good at Oxford, almost unbeatable at Championship level so will be a big miss. Cook has been terrific for Workington so a bit of a no-brainer if Scott is not available full time.

Yeah, appreciate that. It's just the fact that Peter Schroeck actually said Scott would be covering the majority of the meetings. Surely they must have had a conversation about it and agreed before he said that on record? Something must have changed.

7 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

Oxford are 2.33 below the limit, with Janowski due to drop about 2.5 off his starting average. They could make wholesale changes, that is if they can find more top class heat leaders who want to race in GB.

I wouldn't drop Janowski on his new average but I am very biased! Difficult to drop Harris when you know what he can do when in play off mode, Wright could be dropped especially if they can convince a top rider to come over.