British Speedway Forum
Col

Brummies 2024...

10 minutes ago, Pinny said:

What part of my message is knocking the club?

But for what its worth, its an absolutely mental decision for Brum to of gone up a league with such a poor side. Have struggling sides attracted good crowds previously? No.

So they had to take a gamble and go up with a league challenging side to have a chance of making this work. And they haven't built a league challenging side. Its bottom of the table material unless big changes are made. The top 2, one is injured before a wheel has been turned and the other looks like being well out of his depth at number 1. Doesn't bode well, does it?

Would of been far better staying in middle tier and building a title winning side. Fair enough asking home fans to back the club and turn up but others who aren't fans of the club can see exactly what is going to happen.

As has been said so many times on here this season they can only use the track on  a Monday night so what league does that leave drrrr. 

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Wolfie456 said:

As has been said so many times on here this season they can only use the track on  a Monday night so what league does that leave drrrr. 

If that is the case then why not pull the plug instead of driving yourself further into debt?

On 3/23/2024 at 8:59 AM, *JJ said:

2019. And they could do better than Riss in the Premiership, surely? There are plenty of points available.

Doesn’t matter what points are available and what you can supposedly afford (money not really a stumbling block as I recall, according to the management before the final 1 to  7 were declared), riders have to want to ride for you.

• Like 1

Irrelevant now but should Birmingham have been allowed to carry on in the Championship on a Monday?

Only Belle Vue are a Monday track, the rest race on Thursdays.

Of course Prem clubs have priority, but Birmingham could've picked a team minus any Belle Vue riders. Then sorted the fixtures (not many these days) so their opponents weren't missing riders based on who is racing at Belle Vue.

May have to allow the occasional guest, but who would even notice, with the amount of guests used these days anyway?

• Like 2

10 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

Not true. Premier clubs have Monday as an alternative race night - next Monday Leicester v Ipswich ko cup and remember, Monday is TV night for speedway when it’s on. 

On 3/23/2024 at 9:34 AM, Manifesto said:

You’d think he’d be happy seeing some top flight speedway then 

I go to NSS often, had an Aces season ticket in 2022?  I was planning to go to Leicester on 14/03 but it was called off.

51 minutes ago, 1 valve said:

Not true. Premier clubs have Monday as an alternative race night - next Monday Leicester v Ipswich ko cup and remember, Monday is TV night for speedway when it’s on. 

I guess I'm talking about a tracks permanent race day. The question still remains, would they have be able to plan their fixtures around the TV nights & stay in the Champ if the alternative was closing down?

20 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

Irrelevant now but should Birmingham have been allowed to carry on in the Championship on a Monday?

Of course Prem clubs have priority, but Birmingham could've picked a team minus any Belle Vue riders. Then sorted the fixtures (not many these days) so their opponents weren't missing riders based on who is racing at Belle Vue.

May have to allow the occasional guest, but who would even notice, with the amount of guests used these days anyway?

Stop making such sensible suggestions - although, I’m going to assume even if this idea was explored it was quickly stopped to ensure the Premiership had 7 teams and less riders to find in the Championship.

On 3/24/2024 at 8:57 PM, Pinny said:

If that is the case then why not pull the plug instead of driving yourself further into debt?

I'm not sure that Mr Tolley is accruing debt: from what I've gleaned, he is using personal wealth to meet financial outlay which is needed after income streams. If that's the case, the question of how far he is able and prepared to go with that operating model, I suppose only he will know. I think there's a limited lifespan for the stadium being available anyway so this is possibly a one-off season (or two?). But  I don't read Speedway Star, so there's probably more to it than this?

51 minutes ago, Hamish McRaker said:

I'm not sure that Mr Tolley is accruing debt: from what I've gleaned, he is using personal wealth to meet financial outlay which is needed after income streams. If that's the case, the question of how far he is able and prepared to go with that operating model, I suppose only he will know. I think there's a limited lifespan for the stadium being available anyway so this is possibly a one-off season (or two?). But  I don't read Speedway Star, so there's probably more to it than this?

I think he's on record in stating that he has two years left at Perry Barr, the owners have said the dogs will be going to the new track in Wolverhampton  by the end of the year & then they will be planning their next moves to develope the site for other use. Tolley has also said that he needs to see a marked increase in attendances this year, if not next season won't happen.

• Thanks 1

Birmingham should keep Nicholls and let Zach Cook go, harsh but Nicholls would be a hell of a reserve.

23 minutes ago, eric i said:

Birmingham should keep Nicholls and let Zach Cook go, harsh but Nicholls would be a hell of a reserve.

Would make them a lot stronger, but Nicholls won't stay due to his TV commitments. Unless they "rested" Zach for a couple of weeks, till Nicholls really has to go?

For me Flint and Worrall were the let downs for Birmingham last night. 

• Sad 1