British Speedway Forum
paul84

Benevolent Fund 2024 Sat March 16th

On 2/7/2024 at 2:46 PM, geoff100 said:

I agree with all of that just worried the casual supporter going and finding its £23,might be put off for future sat afternoons!

It's less than a £1 a race

should be a good day out

1 hour ago, Bavarian said:

Who will ride in the Women's races? Celina of course, but who else? Is that already known?

maybe Sam Masters  !

• Haha 1

On 2/16/2024 at 9:01 PM, Bavarian said:

Who will ride in the Women's races? Celina of course, but who else? Is that already known?

The two best British ladies are (as far as l've seen) Rachel Hellowell and Katie Gordon...... 

Think this is gonna be the best ever line up in a meeting at Workington,  maybe a big name or two to announce yet, just hope the weather gods have a couple of fine dry days booked for around the 16th 

Personally £23 sounds bit steep to me. I'd have thought they'd try & keep it lower (£20) to pack the place out, anywho thinks it's worth £23, could still donate the extra £3?

Also are the riders racing for free / expenses only? I always thought they did, but I remember reading an interview with Simon Lambert last year, where he suggested it was like getting paid practice?

So when I see comments like "it's for a good cause" to make people who who are questioning the price look bad, I think if it's for a good cause why are the riders getting paid? Plus the Ben Fund always used to get the fines issued from the BSPL (or was it the SCB) which apparently stopped a year or two back. Why would they take money away from such a good cause? That seems far worse than a fan suggesting £23 is too much!

Edited by szkocjasid

7 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

Personally £23 sounds bit steep to me. I'd have thought they'd try & keep it lower (£20) to pack the place out, anywho thinks it's worth £23, could still donate the extra £3?

Also are the riders racing for free / expenses only? I always thought they did, but I remember reading an interview with Simon Lambert last year, where he suggested it was like getting paid practice?

So when I see comments like "it's for a good cause" to make people who who are questioning the price look bad, I think if it's for a good cause why are the riders getting paid? Plus the Ben Fund always used to get the fines issued from the BSPL (or was it the SCB) which apparently stopped a year or two back. Why would they take money away from such a good cause? That seems far worse than a fan suggesting £23 is too much!

Can see your thinking but meetings cost money to promote/run and whilst riders will gladly turn up for this event I am sure they will need some costs to be met , plus this field of riders looks like being one of the best so far in the history of the event.

The UK is going through a cost of living crisis and while there is not much difference between £20 and £23 the effect over a few thousand people is massive and will go a long way in helping riders now and in the future.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/25/2024 at 9:06 AM, szkocjasid said:

If people have issues over an additional £3 then they really shouldn't be spending £20 on going to speedway anyway as there are real life priorities to be taken care of. I would hope nobody would spend money on any sporting event over food, heating, bills and essential clothing.

• Like 3

Three Tigers added to the Ben fund line up, Steve Worall, Leon Flint and Paul Starke.

BBC weather long range forecast showing full sun on Ben fund day and good weather leading up to the Saturday,  just hope the forecast proves correct :D

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Neila said:

BBC weather long range forecast showing full sun on Ben fund day and good weather leading up to the Saturday,  just hope the forecast proves correct :D

I hope it stays the same. Looking forward to that weekend with visiting Workington and Redcar for the big meetings, early start on the Saturday too.

9 hours ago, Neila said:

who said that  , Mikey  FISH ?