British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
racers and royals

Hans Andersen retires

5 minutes ago, racers and royals said:

Hans has today announced his retirement after a 23 year professional career.

A very happy and well deserved retirement, had his knockers but overall I think a very good rider in his day and a decent bloke. A great servant to British Speedway.

Edited by foreverblue
  • Like 5

I witnessed his Poole debut and am so pleased that he enjoyed such a long career, especially after breaking his thigh early on in it. 

Hans has been a fantastic servant to speedway and british speedway too, it was heartbreaking to watch him struggle last season not only to score points but at times even to ride the bike, he is a far better rider than that, I can remember him having some amazing meetings round monmore green as an away rider 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

Hans has been a fantastic servant to speedway and british speedway too, it was heartbreaking to watch him struggle last season not only to score points but at times even to ride the bike, he is a far better rider than that, I can remember him having some amazing meetings round monmore green as an away rider 

100%!

Right decision to call it a day.

I concur with other posters.

Hans was a great servant to British speedway and was always good with the fans and media. Sad to see him struggle last season.

I'm also glad that he's retired on his own terms without any long term injuries.

Thanks Hans, hope to see you around the tracks.

Edited by Garry1603
  • Like 1

A great servant to British Speedway, you always knew he was going to be at a meeting, no mysterious illnesses, van breakdowns, always gave 100% and showed enjoyment when he won races with his straight arm fist pump. Always supported British Speedway when others were jumping ship. Probably should have been World Champion when he was riding at his absolute peak (when he was Hans N Andersen :D) if he could have combined his form from 2007 & 2008... who knows? I can't ever remember seeing a better exponent of the block pass, hard riding up the inside of a rider and just parking it in front of him, I'd never really seen that before.

I hope he gets granted a farewell meeting, he fully deserves it!

• Like 4

Excellent rider in his day. Delighted he is able to leave the sport on his own terms. 

One of my favourite riders, Hans was a stalwart of British Speedway and he always gave his best,  it is sad not to see Hans ride again. Correct decision to retire however. Thanks for the memories.

2 hours ago, iainb said:

A great servant to British Speedway, you always knew he was going to be at a meeting, no mysterious illnesses, van breakdowns, always gave 100% and showed enjoyment when he won races with his straight arm fist pump. Always supported British Speedway when others were jumping ship. Probably should have been World Champion when he was riding at his absolute peak (when he was Hans N Andersen :D) if he could have combined his form from 2007 & 2008... who knows? I can't ever remember seeing a better exponent of the block pass, hard riding up the inside of a rider and just parking it in front of him, I'd never really seen that before.

I hope he gets granted a farewell meeting, he fully deserves it!

Totally agree with that, always liked him, He got a bit of stick for seemingly helping Sweden in the last race at the 2004 world cup but PK was faster than Scotty on the night and would have won anyway in my opinion. I suppose his farewell should be at Peterborough but not now so if there is one maybe it should be at where his career in England started.

Along With Harris ,Nicholls and Rory a great Servant to Uk speedway in some dark days..Not sure where  we would be without these kind of guys .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, orion said:

Along With Harris ,Nicholls and Rory a great Servant to Uk speedway in some dark days..Not sure where  we would be without these kind of guys .

Nicholls did give the UK a miss one year when he decided to "concentrate" on Poland... came back mid season with his tail between his legs though if I remember correctly. Also didn't Nicholls have "issues" with riding for GB? Elected not to do the British Final and wouldn't ride for a Saturday club because it conflicted with TV work? I'm with you on Harris and Schlein though

Edited by iainb

9 hours ago, foreverblue said:

Totally agree with that, always liked him, He got a bit of stick for seemingly helping Sweden in the last race at the 2004 world cup but PK was faster than Scotty on the night and would have won anyway in my opinion. I suppose his farewell should be at Peterborough but not now so if there is one maybe it should be at where his career in England started.

Without doubt that was not the finest moment of many people - including a fair few on here!

Damn good rider at his very best and enjoyed seeing him ride on those 2 season he had at Ipswich - I wish him a long and happy retirement.

36 minutes ago, GeneralMelchett said:

Without doubt that was not the finest moment of many people - including a fair few on here!

Damn good rider at his very best and enjoyed seeing him ride on those 2 season he had at Ipswich - I wish him a long and happy retirement.

Yes always liked Hans, had some fantastic results with Denmark as captain. A great guy too 

• Like 1