British Speedway Forum
SpeedwayFan91

Leicester vs King’s Lynn - Thursday 21st March

They are now as was pointed out to me last year.

19 hours ago, Skodaman said:

His team mate did not make a mistake!

must of been his mechanic then

On 3/23/2024 at 10:43 AM, Gambo said:

Perhaps the Referee did not have access to the TV footage?

He did, if he wanted it.

On 3/23/2024 at 3:13 PM, Skodaman said:

The referee is not allowed to use video footage.

He is. It changed last year and is in the Scab regulations under 02.2.11. Explicitly mentions use of Eurosport/BSN coverage, and says it must be used where available.

Although it doesn’t specify *when* it “must” be used, which makes that emphasis redundant.

just seen the statement regarding investigation to this meeting 

absolute joke 1 meeting suspension for the ref  scb have just made themselves look stupid

So much for the new era of transparency in the Premiership!

Is my understanding correct that referees are only paid their expenses? If that is the case, I do not think that The SCB should have gone public with the suspension. I’m all for ensuring that correct decisions are made in sport and the referee definitely  got things wrong in this meeting, but this could easily have been dealt with internally without having to explain the referee’s absence for a few days. Nobody is going to query this referee’s short officiating absence. If this is the way they treat ‘volunteers’, what a great way to encourage potential officials into the sport! Premier League football refs consistently get brown stuff thrown at them, but they are on £100k a year. I’ve seriously considered taking steps to become a speedway referre myself but this has made me realise how stupid this would be.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, scaramanga said:

just seen the statement regarding investigation to this meeting 

absolute joke 1 meeting suspension for the ref  scb have just made themselves look stupid

What do you think the outcome should have been?

I personally think they should have made a comment about coaching or re-training the referee, a one match ban is pointless if he does the same in every meeting. Did they explain to him what he did wrong & what he should have done?

7 hours ago, Teromaafan said:

Is my understanding correct that referees are only paid their expenses? If that is the case, I do not think that The SCB should have gone public with the suspension. I’m all for ensuring that correct decisions are made in sport and the referee definitely  got things wrong in this meeting, but this could easily have been dealt with internally without having to explain the referee’s absence for a few days. Nobody is going to query this referee’s short officiating absence. If this is the way they treat ‘volunteers’, what a great way to encourage potential officials into the sport! Premier League football refs consistently get brown stuff thrown at them, but they are on £100k a year. I’ve seriously considered taking steps to become a speedway referre myself but this has made me realise how stupid this would be.

It isn't as if there are "millions of pounds" riding on their decisions is it? 

Refs in other sports get well paid, and even get someone else watching a monitor to advise them if they get things wrong...

Speedway refs are more like "Sunday League" officlals who do it as they enjoy being involved..

And, like it or not, the rewards for winning  titles in UK Speedway are more "Sunday League" than even "Conference League"..

If they make decisions that could recklessly impact safety of the riders then that is a different issue, and disciplinary action should be taken and be severe..

Otherwise, common sense, and perspective, should be used..

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mikebv said:

Refs in other sports get well paid, and even get someone else watching a monitor to advise them if they get things wrong...

Speedway refs are more like "Sunday League" officlals who do it as they enjoy being involved..

And, like it or not, the rewards for winning  titles in UK Speedway are more "Sunday League" than even "Conference League"..

If they make decisions that could recklessly impact safety of the riders then that is a different issue, and disciplinary action should be taken and be severe..

The starting stick being left in the track and the race not stopped is the only one that would fit that definition. 

4 hours ago, mikebv said:

'Speedway refs are more like "Sunday League" officials who do it as they enjoy being involved..'

The day will come when one of the parents from the home team will be expected to take their turn refereeing the match.

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Teromaafan said:

Is my understanding correct that referees are only paid their expenses? 

They are paid a match fee and  traveling expenses that are reimbursed on a pence per mile basis. However, Both categories would accurately come under the term "modest". 

Edited by 1 valve

17 minutes ago, 1 valve said:

They are paid a match fee and  traveling expenses that are reimbursed on a pence per mile basis. However, Both categories would accurately come under the term "modest". 

It is modest,but imo it is ok.I would be happy.I deliver to a customer who's nephew is a speedway referee and they said he wouldn't  do it if he didn't do ok out of it:D

1 hour ago, tellboy said:

It is modest,but imo it is ok.I would be happy.I deliver to a customer who's nephew is a speedway referee and they said he wouldn't  do it if he didn't do ok out of it:D

Good to hear. after all without a referee, there would be no racing.