British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
speedwaysliders

CONCERN!!!!NEW TITLE SPNSORES PLUS MORE

Its great to see so many new sponsores coming on board for the coming season,a lot of hard work must of gone in to getting them,but my only concern is what is it all this leading too and where is the money going?Is there an end product or do clubs just get as in previous years a cut of the money for doing sod all to promote speddway.

i just hope they learn from the past

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

The truth is no one will ever know. I have confidence that Phil Morris is in charge and every faith that the money generated will be used in the best way from his point of view. If a certain percentage is filtered down to the clubs which I’m sure it will, then it’s anyones guess. I’d like to think that Phil would put a number of caveats in on how that money is spent by the clubs so it’s not wasted or pocketed.

Edited by 1stbender
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Great News - People investing in British Speedway - Lets hope some Whopper Sponsor/s are encouraged to come on board now for Premiership League and for clubs.

This is in my view is how the sport can thrive again. Its about the money.

If Premiership continues to be rebuilt and we have 10 + teams in it doing well then success can follow on its coat tails for lower league/s too and snowball from there. This is the Polish model and Ekstraliga. Where was that 30 years ago ? They built that to a super league and rest history. Speedway now a top sport in Poland with massive sponsorship.

Phil Morris is making a difference and steering  in right direction.

Edited by Goldhawk
addition
  • Like 3

What happened to Sports Insure? Are they still involved?

27 minutes ago, iainb said:

What happened to Sports Insure? Are they still involved?

Not sure, hopefully they are, but, whilst all sponsorship is so important, much of what UK Speedway get is within the Speedway Bubble, ie. Businesses that already benefit tangibly by being involved who maybe then widen their sponsorship..

The big leap is to bring "new" money into the sport which can be used to drive the sport forwards..

The use of guests though will always preclude this as "Company A" would never invest in a club to then see a competitive rival's name in lights after that team wins the league, having used "Company A's" riders during the season to do so...

And when "Mickey Mouse" is involved, like last years play offs with Bomber, finding a "BIG" non speedway involved company to sponsor the league outright will be a hard sell...

The chicken and the egg isn't it?

To run a "proper team sport" you need the money to do it...

But. If you don't run a "proper team sport", you will never get the money to do it..

I am pretty sure Phil Morris will acutely know this, and, hopefully, will have plans to deliver that utopian position over the next few years at most..

He is definitely travelling in the right direction I would suggest, given what he has done so far...

• Like 3

20 hours ago, mikebv said:

The use of guests though will always preclude this as "Company A" would never invest in a club to then see a competitive rival's name in lights after that team wins the league, having used "Company A's" riders during the season to do so...

I disagree, can't see any major sponsorship deal being scuppered by the use of guests. If guest use were sold by virtue of Speedway needing the system because it is so dangerous and the injury rate so high it is impossible to keep a reasonably level playing field without them it could even be seen as a positive by some brands.

Where it would be a more difficult sell could be if guests are used to cover riders who are competing elsewhere.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Vince said:

I disagree, can't see any major sponsorship deal being scuppered by the use of guests. If guest use were sold by virtue of Speedway needing the system because it is so dangerous and the injury rate so high it is impossible to keep a reasonably level playing field without them it could even be seen as a positive by some brands.

Where it would be a more difficult sell could be if guests are used to cover riders who are competing elsewhere.

Try running Poland with a guest system...

The sport ends over there right there and then..

We "need" guests due to the way the teams are set up...

For example, less riders per team would mean a surplus of riders to use to replace missing riders..

Put simply, if you haven't enough of a certain level of rider, then don't organise the sport meaning that you need so many...

Guests are just an easy cop out, rather than having to find a way of running a team sport "properly"..

No matter how it gets "sold", having Bomber, for example, riding for all and sundry, does nothing but devalue and erode the credibility of any competition that he does it in..

If someone like Pawlicki did it in Poland, then the fans, the national company sponsors and the prime time TV coverage (that gets sold to the highest bidder), would disappear in an instant..

It can be truly great to watch Speedway in the UK,  but, until it can be taken seriously as a "proper team sport", by fans, media and investors alike, it can never deliver its true (untapped), potential...

I think Phil Morris is savvy enough to realise this...

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, mikebv said:

It's a tricky one, I wonder what Wroclaw fans thought about the possibility of guests last season when they were heading into the play-offs without Woffy & Magic and with Connor Bailey & Charles Wright? It made the final if not a farce, certainly a foregone conclusion

Edited by iainb
  • Like 3

On 3/21/2024 at 11:12 AM, mikebv said:

We "need" guests due to the way the teams are set up...

For example, less riders per team would mean a surplus of riders to use to replace missing riders..

Put simply, if you haven't enough of a certain level of rider, then don't organise the sport meaning that you need so many...

Guests are just an easy cop out, rather than having to find a way of running a team sport "properly"..

No matter how it gets "sold", having Bomber, for example, riding for all and sundry, does nothing but devalue and erode the credibility of any competition that he does it in..

If someone like Pawlicki did it in Poland, then the fans, the national company sponsors and the prime time TV coverage (that gets sold to the highest bidder), would disappear in an instant..

It can be truly great to watch Speedway in the UK,  but, until it can be taken seriously as a "proper team sport", by fans, media and investors alike, it can never deliver its true (untapped), potential...

I think Phil Morris is savvy enough to realise this...

While Poland is often held up as the ultimate in league Speedway is it really what we want in the UK? 

It's easy to think everything is wonderful over there but there are certainly financial problems for quite a few clubs. Some of those who don't have problems have dubious funding sources. 

I get why you are so against guests but just have a different opinion and I don't see it as a major problem for UK Speedway. 

• Like 1

I know guest's & rider replacement are at times annoying within the British leagues. But we cannot be compared to other nations league system where they opperate a squad of upto 20 riders but can only track 7 just the same as our programme.

In both cases if a rider is injured or unable to start then of course a full 7 rider team must be arranged. With a squad this is done as in football by rotation of the squad members. Our system means each team has a nominated 7 rider team & should one be missing we track a full team using guests or R/R. At the end of the day it amounts to the same thing two teams of seven racing against each other.

Weather you love or hate our system it's better to see two full sides of seven than a five man team

• Like 4

18 hours ago, Technik said:

I know guest's & rider replacement are at times annoying within the British leagues. But we cannot be compared to other nations league system where they opperate a squad of upto 20 riders but can only track 7 just the same as our programme.

In both cases if a rider is injured or unable to start then of course a full 7 rider team must be arranged. With a squad this is done as in football by rotation of the squad members. Our system means each team has a nominated 7 rider team & should one be missing we track a full team using guests or R/R. At the end of the day it amounts to the same thing two teams of seven racing against each other.

Weather you love or hate our system it's better to see two full sides of seven than a five man team

......But you kinda answered your own question,you could fill R/R with guests back in the day when speedway operated on a 7 day a week  time scale,yes i can understand it then,but when teams are forced to operate on a same racenight you are always going to get R/R because lack of riders to fill the gaps with quality replacements everyone wants.Its just a laugh at the moment when the same rider guests for every team possible because he is in a win win situation,and at the moment Scott Nicholls is making the most of this stupid situation that he can ride if the points allowed to race for anyone that wants him.Like i said good and fair flay to the rider concerned,buts it makes a mockery of the sport that knowone can take seriously.

On 3/20/2024 at 6:55 AM, Goldhawk said:

Lets hope some Whopper Sponsor/s are encouraged to come on board now for Premiership

Yay! The Burger King Premiership.  Bring it on! :rofl: