British Speedway Forum
Cue Ball

Aces v Sheffield 01/04/24

1 hour ago, Siggytastic said:

Has the start time been moved from the advertised 12.00 start?

Ah didnt realise that, hope its only light rain then.

Posted (edited)

Unfortunately reserves cost us big time today, Heat leaders on both teams all on the pace and mixing it with some good racing. Dan Gilkes looks way off the pace not sure if he’s lost all his confidence with last years injury, Edwards done ok so far mixing it and picking up a few points. See how they go at home. Thought Woffy was standout rider again could he top the averages this year? Bewley, Kurtz and J Holder didn’t score great but all looked fast and provided some action. 

8 point deficit isn’t a disaster in all honesty. I think it will be close on aggregate 

Edited by Manifesto

A few comments, especially on the updates, saying Sheffield's reserves need to get going or they are going to put pressure on the top 5 etc. But that is how the team was built, for the baulk of the scoring to come from the top 5. 

As Edwards has a sub 5 Champ average, no more can be expected of him (ideally should be a RS) but Gilkes should be doing better. Did he make a mistake by not racing in the Champ this year?

I think many were mesmerised by the star power of Sheffield's top end & overlooked their weakness at reserve.

All to play for in the second leg. If Bewley had ridden like we all know he can, Aces would already have one foot in the next round.

• Like 1

Early in the season but alarm bells were ringing at Birmingham when it comes to Sheffield.

The team is unbalanced and it's going nowhere this season with those reserves, Gilkes has to get himself fixed up with a Championship club.

track was perfect too perfect in fact. woffy showed his class, but cant see us losing by less than 8 pts. couple of good races but that was it.

22 minutes ago, TTT said:

Early in the season but alarm bells were ringing at Birmingham when it comes to Sheffield.

The team is unbalanced and it's going nowhere this season with those reserves, Gilkes has to get himself fixed up with a Championship club.

Team was always unbalanced in you're going in with the top 5, That's the pay-off going top heavy.

Gilkes not going Championship is a big mistake in my opinion, agree 100% with you .

• Like 1

A sign of where the priorities of Bewley & Holder lie perhaps. 

• Like 1

Aces were  good today all doing there jobs apart from below par scores from bewley & kurtz ? with them scoring there usual  points we would have a decent lead ? but it is what is for the 2nd leg ?  with all 7 on form we will be ok for rest of season !!

we've left ourselves with a good total from that meeting. 8 points is more than achievable round owlerton.

With team we've got it was always built to have success at home, can't be surprised especially away from home when we suffer st the reserve berth, it's how we've built the 7 and we also have to consder Gilkes is coming back from an injury. With time and patience I can see us doing well and should be there or there abouts by end of the season.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, szkocjasid said:

A few comments, especially on the updates, saying Sheffield's reserves need to get going or they are going to put pressure on the top 5 etc. But that is how the team was built, for the baulk of the scoring to come from the top 5. 

As Edwards has a sub 5 Champ average, no more can be expected of him (ideally should be a RS) but Gilkes should be doing better. Did he make a mistake by not racing in the Champ this year?

I think many were mesmerised by the star power of Sheffield's top end & overlooked their weakness at reserve.

All to play for in the second leg. If Bewley had ridden like we all know he can, Aces would already have one foot in the next round.

The problem with strong top ends as I think the witches found out last year is they have to perform each week if they don’t then they are vulnerable - Mountain looked good at Ipswich in a couple of heats last week and did his job today as well - but let’s see how the Tigers do at home - can see this tie going either way but we all know what happened last season in the final! Both J Holder and Woffinden will score heavily and they others can get this to 50+

Edited by GeneralMelchett

szkocjasid, I know that heat 8 is protected but is it just the RS in the Premiership as the reserves were swapped in the Berwick v Workington  & Poole v Oxford meetings?

1 hour ago, tyke said:

Team was always unbalanced in you're going in with the top 5, That's the pay-off going top heavy.

Gilkes not going Championship is a big mistake in my opinion, agree 100% with you .

Is he only doing Prem and that's it? Or riding abroad as well? 

5 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

he has Poland

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

Under 24 and senior teams in Poland.

On the Round The Boards podcast last week he explained that nobody from the Championship contacted him until well after Christmas and by then he was already sorted with three clubs. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, IronScorpion said:

szkocjasid, I know that heat 8 is protected but is it just the RS in the Premiership as the reserves were swapped in the Berwick v Workington  & Poole v Oxford meetings?

In the Prem, RS can't be replaced, but reserve could replace number 2 (but no tac sub).

In the Champ, no tac sub in heat 8, but number 6 could replace 2 or 7.