British Speedway Forum
Paulco

Berwick v Glasgow , BSN thingy , 6/4/24 @7pm

1 hour ago, BacktrackBandit said:

Be interesting to find out the truth. Was Complin at the meeting or did he go straight home?

He stayed all night and helped in the pits

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr Blobby said:

Was a joke cheer up. 

Really, just to be clear, I wasn't joking.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, speedwaysliders said:

I get what you are saying of course i do,but when its a team sport fans want to  see 4 riders in EVERY heat.As i said before i pick my matches if i think the teams are equally matched i might get on the road a drive miles to watch,this is not about Lee Complin its about watching team racing .If it was a superstar rider that wasnt allowed to race then what,or a team were already using R/R,then what.Luckily this match was still tight but even that i love to come to places like Berwick,its making me think im under valued as a fan.The testing is great ,dont get me wrong but im just talking from a fans point of view.

But Glasgow, and obviously any other team who have a rider who fails a test trackside, deserve to be punished on the night. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, allthegearbutnaeidea said:

But Glasgow, and obviously any other team who have a rider who fails a test trackside, deserve to be punished on the night. 

Hypothetically, in your opinion, should a meeting be rerun if a failed test ever turned out to be inaccurate? 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

22 minutes ago, allthegearbutnaeidea said:

Why? If he'd been randomly tested at home the day before would Glasgow have had a facility? Will they be granted a facility next time they ride, or are they expected to ride with 6 for the rest of the season?

Not sure any other team sport wouldn't allow a replacement, would a football team be forced to field 10 players?

6 minutes ago, Joseq7 said:

Hypothetically, in your opinion, should a meeting be rerun if a failed test ever turned out to be inaccurate? 

The tests are seldom inaccurate it’s just conformation of what’s substance it is.It is a test for banned substances whether the were taken by mistake or not.

• Like 1

The difficulty on the night is who can replace them in time? Connor Bailey was at the track, but his average is too high. On a purely practical level, it's difficult to replace a rider at such short notice, and whilst a number eight is an option, we all know teams won't take one to every meeting because it's another expense. We only used one in the playoffs because they were the playoffs (and we were already running R/R). In normal matches, no teams really going to do that.

In terms of re-running a match later, I think fans might find that even worse, if they've paid to see a meeting that then doesn't count.

It's a tricky problem to solve when the rider system isn't a squad system. Football teams bring more than 11 players to a match - it makes it much easier. I don't see an easy, cost effective way of doing it in speedway.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Noelinho said:

The difficulty on the night is who can replace them in time? Connor Bailey was at the track, but his average is too high. On a purely practical level, it's difficult to replace a rider at such short notice, and whilst a number eight is an option, we all know teams won't take one to every meeting because it's another expense. We only used one in the playoffs because they were the playoffs (and we were already running R/R). In normal matches, no teams really going to do that.

In terms of re-running a match later, I think fans might find that even worse, if they've paid to see a meeting that then doesn't count.

It's a tricky problem to solve when the rider system isn't a squad system. Football teams bring more than 11 players to a match - it makes it much easier. I don't see an easy, cost effective way of doing it in speedway.

In days gone by Teams used to “ borrow” a home junior.Not Ideal but a solution to 4 rider heats.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, iainb said:

Not sure any other team sport wouldn't allow a replacement, would a football team be forced to field 10 players?

Surely football's equivalent of being excluded from a speedway meeting is a red card?    So yes, a football team would be forced to play with 10 players.   They could make a substitution to change formation, but they'd still only have 10 players.   Just the same as Glasgow could cover Complin's rides with a reserve, whilst still only having 6 riders.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, RoundTheBoards said:

Surely football's equivalent of being excluded from a speedway meeting is a red card?    So yes, a football team would be forced to play with 10 players.   They could make a substitution to change formation, but they'd still only have 10 players.   Just the same as Glasgow could cover Complin's rides with a reserve, whilst still only having 6 riders.

You don't get red carded before a match starts though do you? I'm not sure but once a football team is declared an hour before kick off and a player is injured in warm up they can still be replaced. Until the meeting/match actually starts surely you should be able to make any changes you wish as long as it fits within the points limit

Edited by iainb

15 minutes ago, RoundTheBoards said:

I see the comparison, however the incident occurred off the track before the meeting had started. So using your football analogy the match wouldn't have started and a replacement to the starting 11 would be used.

The argument can go back and forward with what's the solution, take Boxers for example, they get tested any time and if caught a replacement can be brought in so the boxing fixture isn't cancelled.

The point I was trying to make earlier is the SCB are trying to run a professional anti doping scheme in an extremely amateur run sport.

If you and I get sick we go to boots and get stuff to make us feel better, we go to the doctor's or dentist and are prescribed medication we take it. WADA rules say this isn't allowed.

These aren't "elite athletes" they are brickys, roofers, factory workers who ride bikes with no breaks for 5 months of the year.

If they wanna play big boy/person/toaster  games then have random samples anytime 24/7,  365 days.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cast1rn said:

I see the comparison, however the incident occurred off the track before the meeting had started. So using your football analogy the match wouldn't have started and a replacement to the starting 11 would be used.

The argument can go back and forward with what's the solution, take Boxers for example, they get tested any time and if caught a replacement can be brought in so the boxing fixture isn't cancelled.

The point I was trying to make earlier is the SCB are trying to run a professional anti doping scheme in an extremely amateur run sport.

If you and I get sick we go to boots and get stuff to make us feel better, we go to the doctor's or dentist and are prescribed medication we take it. WADA rules say this isn't allowed.

These aren't "elite athletes" they are brickys, roofers, factory workers who ride bikes with no breaks for 5 months of the year.

If they wanna play big boy/person/toaster  games then have random samples anytime 24/7,  365 days.

It all depends on what you can buy in Boots then.!!

1 hour ago, SharpenRake said:

Really, just to be clear, I wasn't joking.

Snowflake.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, iainb said:

Why? If he'd been randomly tested at home the day before would Glasgow have had a facility? Will they be granted a facility next time they ride, or are they expected to ride with 6 for the rest of the season?

20 minutes ago, iainb said:

You don't get red carded before a match starts though do you? I'm not sure but once a football team is declared an hour before kick off and a player is injured in warm up they can still be replaced. Until the meeting/match actually starts surely you should be able to make any changes you wish as long as it fits within the points limit

now then , now then , now then. bored are we  ? poo stirer .  please return to your own thread and stop stirring it up .