British Speedway Forum
racers and royals

GP 1st round Gorican Saturday 27th April

4 hours ago, chunky said:

I will say this again; at least this system guarantees that the GP winner gets the most points!

1) there are far better ways to achieve that

2) this won't be the case in the Cardiff & Warsaw GPs. I find it odd they created a system for the reason you said, then qualifying can stop the GP winner being top scorer.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, chunky said:

I will say this again; at least this system guarantees that the GP winner gets the most points!

I HATE when people do this, but here's how it WOULD have looked under the old system (with comparison in brackets)...

18 - Holder (-2)
14 - Zmarzlik (=)
12 - Lambert (=)
12 - Doyle (-6)
11 - Huckenbeck (=)
11 - Lindgren (-5)
  9 - Madsen (-1)
  8 - Kubera (-1)
  7 - Michelsen (-1)
  6 - Vaculik (-1)
  6 - Wozniak (=)
  6 - Kvech (+1)
  5 - Lebedevs (+1)
  5 - Bewley (+2)
  4 - Zagar (+2)
  3 - Woffinden (+2)

Big difference for Lindgren and Doyle and also those towards the bottom. Although as Chris Louis mentioned Lindgren and Doyle did not win a race all night yet both ended up on the podium!

They kept saying Zagar doesn't have a club, I thought someone had said before that he is riding in Denmark? 

2 minutes ago, SPEEDY69 said:

They kept saying Zagar doesn't have a club, I thought someone had said before that he is riding in Denmark? 

I tell you what, er, erm, er... they kept saying lots of things... Freddie Lindgren had long Covid... who knew?!?

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, SPEEDY69 said:

Grindsted

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, SPEEDY69 said:

They wouldn’t know that !!!! I’m sure they said that Lebedevs rides for Daugavpils- whereas he hasn’t ridden for them for at least 3 years !!!

• Like 2

Not a bad GP but what a dreadful track to showplace the event on.

Dusty and nothing in it, if you moved off the optimum line you lost ground, nothing there to race with.

Said last season that Holder should kick on when he finally got that first GP win so hopefully that's the case, he's probably the only one in this line-up who could not only potentially threaten Zmarzlik but actually believes he can beat him. The problem is now finding that consistency, you can't really afford a poor meeting because you know that Zmarzlik will be making the final even when he's having an average night. 

• Like 1

Bit of banking on that track would make a big difference.

16 hours ago, chunky said:

He was also out wide looking for grip when there wasn't any...

bewley is a bit of a one trick pony.  hopefully he will, learn to ride the conditions better

• Like 1

1 hour ago, one of clubs said:

Rubbish meeting on a rubbish track.

Never heard that before after a GP...

I would like to know what happened between the afternoon qualifier and the meeting. The likes of Kubera, Bewley, and Madsen were just three of the fastest in qualifier yet when the meeting started they were left trailing. Did the track get doctored from the afternoon?

The meeting itself was as expected, pretty bad. Sure, there was some passing, but too many times if you were not in the lead you were as good as"dead".

Congrats to Jack, deserved it last night. Disappointed in Bewley.   Beginning to think he not going to the very top and be a world solo champ. He is one of the fastest when in front, and can be very spectacular riding the boards. However, I wonder if that real bad accident a few years ago affects his confidence to mix it.  Woffy is the same, but he can be excused as he has strut his stuff (three time champ) and is nearing the end of his top flight career.

On 4/27/2024 at 7:57 PM, mikebv said:

A bit of a harem scarem moment again for Woffy..

As you can find in the GP every race..

And he pulled out of the race..

Woffy spends most of the race these days watching what is happening round about him.He really is just going through the motions.He’s not got the hunger nowadays.IMO

• Like 1

On 4/28/2024 at 10:56 AM, The Cheese said:

Said last season that Holder should kick on when he finally got that first GP win so hopefully that's the case, he's probably the only one in this line-up who could not only potentially threaten Zmarzlik but actually believes he can beat him. The problem is now finding that consistency, you can't really afford a poor meeting because you know that Zmarzlik will be making the final even when he's having an average night. 

Think Holder is Zmarzlik’s main challenge this season,skilful,consistently fast and not scared to get “ stuck in”.Lambert fast in in front but goes missing when the going gets tough.

Doyle and Lindgren big spoilers every GP. Never give attitudes serves them well.Hard as nails both of them.

• Like 1