British Speedway Forum
Arch Stanton

Ipswich vs Oxford 18th April

Posted (edited)

By not running Heat 15, did Oxford get a losing bonus point by only losing by 6?

If so, lets hope Ipswich don't miss out on the play offs by 1 league point from Oxford!

More than happy with Jordon. Clearly on the pace and will score more when in his correct position of reserve.

Edited by KevtheRev

1 hour ago, Roger Jacobs said:

Ummm ... it's why they are called "averages" ...

Exactly. If you follow this line if thought to it's logical conclusion why not dispense with all that messy racing and random variations and just add up the two teams GSAs and award the match to the team with the highest combined average. [Think of the savings: No stadium to rent, staff to employ, machinery to purchase, riders to pay]

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, GeneralMelchett said:

Seems Emil still can't get a win in heat 1 - don't think he has won a first heat all season! Apart from Jenkins everything seems to be pretty much ok - he will drop to reserve which will hopefully give him some confidence. I watch a rerun of the Peterborough v Sheffield match from last season and he looked really good.

Don't recall him being that great there as a rider either!

But being a great rider does not make a great team manager either.

3 minutes ago, arnieg said:

But being a great rider does not make a great team manager either.

oh completely -  football / sport is littered with great players who never made it as manager and mediocre players who made great managers etc

• Like 1

• Like 2

Actually Schroeck's excuse for his mistakes makes him look even more inept imo

I’m normally clued up, but there was so much going on towards the end of the meeting and I missed an opportunity there and that does frustrate me.

As soon as Tungate was missing & Clouting was his planned replacement, the obvious choice would be for Wright / Clouting or Wright on his own to take the first 3 rides with Riss replacing Clouting / Tungate in heat 14 alongside Boughen. Then once they were 6 points down, very obviously you'd put Nicholls in instead of Boughen.

So how was "so much going on" that he made a mistake? He should have known what to do before the first heat?

• Like 3

10 hours ago, chun said:

he looked good at oxford.  maybe taking time to get to grips with foxhall.  can’t help being moved to no 2, a position that rew should be commanding by now

He was pretty poor for the Cheetahs on Wednesday, though. Just got 2 points at Championship level, only beating Ashton Boughen and Jacob Hook in heat 14. Still, it's early days, you don't become rubbish over one winter, so I'm sure he'll find his form in time.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, foreverblue said:

I dont think conditions suited him. He is way better than that, Oxford did well considering Tungate missed his flight.

I think in his last ride he was onboard a lawnmower, sounded awful. That new boy Nicholls looks a good prospect though.

Edited by SPEEDY69
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, KevtheRev said:

By not running Heat 15, did Oxford get a losing bonus point by only losing by 6?

If so, lets hope Ipswich don't miss out on the play offs by 1 league point from Oxford!

More than happy with Jordon. Clearly on the pace and will score more when in his correct position of reserve.

Eh ? Oxford LOST both meetings Ipswich WON both meetings bonus point WON by Ipswich :t:

3 hours ago, orion said:

You would think wet conditions would suit Chris Harris than any other rider. Just remember all the stick  i got saying that Harris would not score well  v a decent ippo side.at Foxhall   ..Magic looking great as well i see. Saying all that if Tungate had have showed up they might have won.

All riders struggled passing, even Emil struggled early on when he didnt gate, Harris is usually good at Foxhall.

4 hours ago, KevtheRev said:

That rule doesn't exist any more, changed last year 

55 minutes ago, foreverblue said:

All riders struggled passing, even Emil struggled early on when he didnt gate, Harris is usually good at Foxhall.

Harris was his normal foxhall self. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, Racin Jason 72 said:

Seemed to do ok guesting for Ipswich in the play offs last season.

Edited by foreverblue

5 hours ago, arnieg said:

Strawman argument. Harris's GSA is under 7 so no one should regularly expect him to score double figures. 

He's outscored his average in 4 out of 5 matches so far this season and that's an admirable record, not a reason to laugh at him.

Not laughing at him general i.m a big fan by the way...its more what people were saying what a ringer guest he was in last year final and how he  was bound to score double figures at Foxhall ...your correct hes a 7 point man 

1 hour ago, Racin Jason 72 said:

I remember Harris overtaking Emil last year at Foxhall riding for Leicester