British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
TMW

Where are the match threads ?

Each match used to have its own discussion thread Has the NDL season not started yet ? Or is interest non existent ? 

The interest must be very low, but you're welcome to start them yourself. That what I did for most of the 2024 threads.

• Like 3

Scunfield start on Thursday at Sheffield if that is any consolation.

On 4/20/2024 at 6:56 PM, TMW said:

Each match used to have its own discussion thread Has the NDL season not started yet ? Or is interest non existent ? 

On a personal level my own interest is very low due mostly to the league structure and team make up. I used to follow the sport around the country and almost every match on updates but now just scan the results. Didn't even do the excellent fantasy team this year simply because i take no fun from the National league and will likely take my hard earned funds elsewhere  

It's nice when there is a discussion thread for a particular match.

But I have to say that the NDL is alive and well in Leicester. I was at the Middlesbrough match yesterday and couldn't believe the level of support. I couldn't say how many fans were there but a measure of the numbers is that the 50-50 draw prize was over £200.
There was a goodly number who stayed on for the MDL match as well.

• Like 2

Have to say it's a similar story at Oxford. I would say the Chargers got a crowd that wasn't too far off the Cheetahs vs Plymouth match the Wednesday before. Well down on the Spires (which is to be expected), but still a more than decent crowd considering Oxford are trying to get people to pay to attend all three leagues.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Bojangles said:

Have to say it's a similar story at Oxford. I would say the Chargers got a crowd that wasn't too far off the Cheetahs vs Plymouth match the Wednesday before. Well down on the Spires (which is to be expected), but still a more than decent crowd considering Oxford are trying to get people to pay to attend all three leagues.

There were all sorts of concerns expressed when Oxford announced their three team plans. My thoughts were that they would okay at home. More than okay actually. But the Oxford faithful may not travel as much having spent their hard earned supporting three teams at home.
For what it's worth, I've enjoyed my recent trips to Cowley. I like the atmosphere and the fans are always chatty and friendly. And I especially like the new pits.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

It’s disheartening to see the lack of interest in the NL these days. It’s come from dumbing down the league for years and years. Why would fans be as excited about an inferior product?

• Like 3

On 4/22/2024 at 3:43 PM, Islander15 said:

It’s disheartening to see the lack of interest in the NL these days. It’s come from dumbing down the league for years and years. Why would fans be as excited about an inferior product?

Because the so called inferior product is actually developing talent rather than being a home for experienced riders that could not progreess into Championship 1-5's. Look at yeaterdays Under 19 semi final at Plymouth and the number of riders in that who have spent a season or more riding for the Lion Cubs.

5 hours ago, W9 Lion said:

Because the so called inferior product is actually developing talent rather than being a home for experienced riders that could not progreess into Championship 1-5's. Look at yeaterdays Under 19 semi final at Plymouth and the number of riders in that who have spent a season or more riding for the Lion Cubs.

The point will be proven in a year or two. From the current crop of U19's there are those that are already riding at CL standard or close to it (CL standard also being lower this year due to team build reductions) those riders are the product of previous seasons NDL. If the new breed Summers, Vale, Springer etc progress to CL standard then the league is continuing to work, if they don't the the inferior product is letting them and the sport down.

Flint, Bickley, Gilkes, Rowe, Kemp, Palin and the Thompson twins were supposed to be the golden generation. While some of them are making decent progress they haven't hit the stratospheric heights many of us hoped.

And looking at subsequent riders coming up through the youth system none (bar Ashton Boughen) look better prospects than the ones named above.

• Like 2

I think Stene Pijper will turn heads pretty soon. He’s only just on 500s but he’s looked very impressive around Ashfield.

As much as I love Speedway the attitude from the BSPL towards the NDL leaves me losing interest in it. 

The first match if this season for example, Leicester allowed a guest for Max James as he was due at Edinburgh's pre-season practice. If the powers that be have decided that is considered more important than a NDL fixture, it doesn't exactly encourage me to attend NDL matches.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, arnieg said:

Flint, Bickley, Gilkes, Rowe, Kemp, Palin and the Thompson twins were supposed to be the golden generation. While some of them are making decent progress they haven't hit the stratospheric heights many of us hoped.

And looking at subsequent riders coming up through the youth system none (bar Ashton Boughen) look better prospects than the ones named above.

I like watching NDL and seeing the next big thing. It reminds me of watching a very young Michael Lee and how he developed. I''m not sure it will be viewed as a golden generation here is my take on them;

Flint - totally stalled I hope moving away from Berwick helps him develop. 

Bickley - World class at 13 but a step back each year, the most overrated rider of this generation.

Gilkes, - Needs to have brake through year in 2024.

Rowe, - Riding in Poland helps him develop

Kemp - Its now or never for Drew

Palin - I always viewed as a one trick pony on larger tracks

Thompson twins - Always appeared on the outside of Team GB structure in the past, I cannot understand why they don't ride in Poland for experience. Dan looks to be having a great start to the season.

Or do we now focus development on the two Max's and Ashton?

17 hours ago, arnieg said:

Let`s put thing in to context here. Most of the above named riders were alleged products of the Youth System.

Due to the Youth System Palin suffered injuries and retired, he was progressing nicely until the Youth system swallowed him.

The Thompson Twins separated from the system and are doing very nicely.

Others currently entwined in the system are not progressing,  wonder why.

Ex riders in it for the money and offering nothing to the boys.

Back to basics and stop interfering in their development by money hungry has been and never were good riders and poor system.