British Speedway Forum
Arch Stanton

Sheffield vs Ipswich 13th May

2 minutes ago, AceBelle said:

That's exactly the b/vue senario with Lambert for fricke in 2022 but we got slated for but Sheffield did it following year another hypocrisy moment from them :nono:

The difference being that Belle Vue brought Lambert in from outside of the British leagues after the transfer cut off date, whereas Sheffield used him as a guest from within the British league as he had signed for Kings Lynn for the latter part of the season.

• Like 2

We’re 7 weeks in to the season, seven, Sheffield have just lost their first meeting at home to an excellent side, and already the panic has set in and riders and now fans are calling for changes?? They’re still sitting 3rd in the table with two meetings in hand over the two teams above them, and are almost certainly going to be in the play off lottery at the end of the season. Why the rush? We’re in mid May! I just don’t get it. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

Nicholls seemed to let the cat out of the bag a bit at the end there about the lack of team spirit in the Sheffield camp compared to Ipswich. 

Team spirit probably is a bit iffy when your got 3 or 4 moaning faced Aussie's in the team if ya count Tai as one:rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, tocha said:

I think once Jason went into the 1-6 that means in effect he opted out of the RS scheme, so even if Sheffield dropped Gilkes then can’t replace him with Edwards and bring in another non RS for the number 6 slot, might have been told info on this 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 4BM said:

I think once Jason went into the 1-6 that means in effect he opted out of the RS scheme, so even if Sheffield dropped Gilkes then can’t replace him with Edwards and bring in another non RS for the number 6 slot, might have been told info on this 

That’s my understanding too. 

1 hour ago, GeneralMelchett said:

Gate 3 watch - it was better this week - the Holders and Tai won heats from gate 3 but again as with Thursday noticeable its after heat 8 the wins seem to come from there.

0 1 0 2 0 0 0 0 3 3 1 1 3 1 2

Does gate 3 get any better, or do the others get worse?

26 minutes ago, Aries said:

We’re 7 weeks in to the season, seven, Sheffield have just lost their first meeting at home to an excellent side, and already the panic has set in and riders and now fans are calling for changes?? They’re still sitting 3rd in the table with two meetings in hand over the two teams above them, and are almost certainly going to be in the play off lottery at the end of the season. Why the rush? We’re in mid May! I just don’t get it. 

Because they've built a team to win big at Home and they're failing to do so against other title challenging teams.

BV kept up to speed with them for 12 Heats last week and Ipswich beat them last night.

The team is far too unbalanced to a point, Gilkes isn't worth keeping unless he gets a Championship place, Howarth is having a poor year in the Championship as well.

Edwards can move down to No.7 as a RS cant he????

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TTT said:

No as in main body of team at start of season I believe that means you opt out of the RS scheme for that season, so Edwards cannot be at number 7 through 2024 

Posted (edited)

The days of the old 1-7 representing your team from March to October with a liberall dose of either guests or R/R are gone! Teams want to win - thats fine by me and they will make changes to try and ensure that. Last year Leicester made changes to try and maintain their play off push and it backfired - it just so happens that both Bv and the Tigers employed Lambert and won!

I am just curious who will he ride for in 2024 as its been alluded to he has agreed a deal with someone on a Kings Lynn thread earlier.

Also should be noted that despite dropping points at home which they werent happy with the Sheffield guys were very gracious in defeat!

Edited by GeneralMelchett
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, TTT said:

Because they've built a team to win big at Home and they're failing to do so against other title challenging teams.

BV kept up to speed with them for 12 Heats last week and Ipswich beat them last night.

The team is far too unbalanced to a point, Gilkes isn't worth keeping unless he gets a Championship place, Howarth is having a poor year in the Championship as well.

Spot. On ..the big picture is Sheff wont win the league with this side. Last night clearly showed that..it dont matter  if they are 3rd in the table is not going to be good enough.its called being pro active.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, RS50 said:

Does gate 3 get any better, or do the others get worse?

The wins were the home heatleaders!

Its difficult to say - i wasnt at the meeting but I was on Thursday V Belle Vue - but the trend is clearly opening 8 heats yield very little at the moment.

Edited by GeneralMelchett

1 hour ago, DaveWayne said:

The difference being that Belle Vue brought Lambert in from outside of the British leagues after the transfer cut off date, whereas Sheffield used him as a guest from within the British league as he had signed for Kings Lynn for the latter part of the season.

i think you find Lambert wasn't a transfer he was a injury replacement for fricke which the rules clearly allow like you lot last season get you facts right !!

26 minutes ago, 4BM said:

No as in main body of team at start of season I believe that means you opt out of the RS scheme for that season, so Edwards cannot be at number 7 through 2024 

We all know Mr Bates will be able to manipulate this somehow ;)

Zischke in on a 3.00 ;) 

Edwards down to RS

Janowski in for Howarth

2 hours ago, DaveWayne said:

Totally agree in terms of making 'form based' changes, and last year, despite him starting as badly as he has this year, Sheffield stuck with Howarth and he came good second half.

Ellis was probably the only one to leave last season based on form, but if rumours are to be believed he actually asked for that to happen rather than the rhetoric on here that he was 'dropped'. Kerr was the loser from that one as he also went to make enough points available.

With regards to 'cobbling together a team to pinch the trophy', Holder, Woffinden, Musielak, Vissing, and Gilkes all had season ending injuries. What else were they supposed to do ? Turn up for the play offs with 4 riders ?

I have genuinely never seen one team have so many long term injuries in a single season. On top of the ones above, we also had 2 broken collar bones during the season. All of these injuries apart from one happened while the riders were riding in GPs, Internationals, or their other clubs.

Yes the title was won with a lot of 'guest jackets' but what were the other options ?

I may be wrong here, but I think Woffinden was playing devil's advocate to try and get a few riders to buck their ideas up. I genuinely can't see any imminent changes, but could be wrong.

Well said I agree with all of that.