British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
norbold

Pie 'n' Mash & Prefabs

Just a minute-you mean to tell me Norbold is really Norman Jacobs??All joking apart I think you are a talented writer mate.

You say about prefabs............where I live in Bournemouth a lot of prefabs built after the war............the road I live in was mostly them.........then in the mid 1990's the council removed all the exterior cladding on them and brick built round them and put proper roofs on them not metal ones..........and completely modernised them.................we bought ours in 2002 and the internal walls are still the original ones..........from when they were first built..............

RP

I understand there is a brilliant new book being published today. All about growing up in Hackney in the 1950s and 60s and contains a part about going to speedway in the 60s and how the author came to be named after a speedway rider...Looks good. :)

More info here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pie-Mash-Prefabs-1950s-Childhood/dp/1784181234/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1425542499&sr=1-1&keywords=Norman+Jacobs

Good luck with the book, Norbold. Though it seems by the "customers who viewed this" list at the bottom of the Amazon page that it is quite a saturated market. Hopefully your superior prose will make it a cut above the rest of the herd!

I've got interested in that era of life in the East End in the past couple of years. Ironically enough the FPO watching "Call the Midwife" sparked the interest again.

Re Prefabs: the school where I work is adjacent to the "Tintown" of Taughmonagh mentioned in the link.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-29254528 Still known as Tin Town by the locals even though the prefabs went about 30 years ago.

No prefabs left here in south london. Pie and mash though, is still alive and kicking. Harrington's pie shop in tooting will be my destination tomorrow afternoon!

I used to work in an office just on the other side of the Broadway from Harrington's and can well remember the queues on a Friday morning.

Used to drink in the Selkirk as well.

Is Tubby Isaacs the Jellied Eel man still going strong down the Mile End Road?.

i think it closed a couple of years ago.

Just a minute-you mean to tell me Norbold is really Norman Jacobs??All joking apart I think you are a talented writer mate.

Shock! Horror! What Subterfuge! :party:

Damn! I've been outed.

Really. :shock: :shock: :shock::o:rofl:

I'm asking Santa this year for "The Best Of Norman Jacobs" box set.

• Like 2

No prefabs left here in south london. Pie and mash though, is still alive and kicking. Harrington's pie shop in tooting will be my destination tomorrow afternoon!

Back in the days when I lived in South East London, Manzes in Peckham High Street was the best pie 'n' mash shop in the area and apparently it still is.

http://www.manze.co.uk

It's not far from the Old Kent Road so all New Cross fans (including Norbold) should know it.

• Like 1

Used to eat in the Tower Bridge Rd one a bit.But Harringtons was most frequented by my family.My mums family lived near the Selkirk and then made the big move to the other side of Garratt Lane :D A visit is usually a must when I am back 'home'

Edited by iris123

As a kid, I remember the prefabs in Carshalton, but I am shocked to hear that Tubby Isaac's closed down! Big piece of London history, there...

Steve

Back in the days when I lived in South East London, Manzes in Peckham High Street was the best pie 'n' mash shop in the area and apparently it still is.

Indeed. Manzes is still spoken of in hushed and reverential tones by the Pie & Mash cognoscenti....

i think it closed a couple of years ago.

There is a Tubby Issac's in Clacton

Rumour has it that the Labour Party will be having their party meetings inside there now Douglas Carswell has taken everybody's votes

Nice to see the book reached no.2 in Amazon's best selling philosopher biographies. Never thought of myself as a philosopher before, but it does have a nice ring to it....

There was a similar place to Manzes in Deptford High Street many years ago. It was regularly used by the great Australian rider Ron Johnson in the mid-1940s.