British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
PolskiZuzel

The 2017 Sgp Entry Forms

Half of the Speedway Grand Prix riders are seriously considering withdrawal from the cycle, if the organisers (BSI) will not change the financial rates - writes Polish daily sport newspaper „Przeglad Sportowy”.

Of course, Polish club promoters are already rubbing their hands, because if their riders give up riding in the SGP then they will reap all the benefits because of this. There will be no more cancellation of the league meetings, no injuries risk to key riders, and of course they will not be overloaded with duties as the they are now. In other words riders will be focused exclusively on the League. Dream on you will say, but In the Polish speedway circles, sparrows have been twitting about this for some time.

At the moment it looks as though half of the SGP participants are very much considering whether or not to sign entry forms for next season. They say that they are going to sign, on condition that the financial rates will be changed. The organisers of the SGP cycle (BSI) have been saying for years to riders that riding in their cycle is the most prestigous event in the world, riding in it translates into best advertising contracts. It seems that speedway riders do not want to hear this any longer. Less than £10’000 for winning a round are not any money for them. Sometimes they have to spend as much to prepare for such a round.

The BSI pool money for a year amounts to a million dollars, for one tournament it is 84 500 dollars. For an average man it might look OK but it does not impress riders any more. They are getting more for riding in the Polish League.

It is being said that BSI are thinking about a wage revolution, but it is not a solution riders want. The BSI wants to pay points money, not the place money. Of course, without increasing the pot. Will this stop riders from terminating their participation?

Przeglad Sportowy remainds its readers that among those who in the past have not agreed to sign so called entry forms were - Tomasz Gollob and Piotr Protasiewicz.

FIM pays points money and Gollob dropped out after losing his Monster contract.

Not saying it's all roses in the SGP.

FIM pays points money ...

Can you expand on this, please.

As far as I know, until now it has been common knowledge that riders are paid for places, not points.

As far as I know, until now it has been common knowledge that riders are paid for places, not points.

What I meant. But BSI dont pay it, FIM pays the prize money.

Dont really know what the situation really is, but with a basic flaw in the story like this just makes me want to turn my back on the whole subject. Also, a huge part why Protasiewicz declined his spot in the SGP was the rule change that only one SGP rider per team was allowed in Poland. So he had to choose between riding in the Ekstraliga or SGP...

Riders come out with a load of tripe sometimes and very rarely stick together anyway.Thought they were going to refuse to use the new silencers and fans were going to stop going to speedway if they were introduced.Maybe they did for the bydgoszcz GP,but apart from that what has happened?And as for Pepe not signing u for the GPs,well as i said on the other thread he just isn't good enough and knows he would only be racing for the odd point.Was no big loss.So i doubt much will come of this

Also, a huge part why Protasiewicz declined his spot in the SGP was the rule change that only one SGP rider per team was allowed in Poland. So he had to choose between riding in the Ekstraliga or SGP...

Just a very minor clarification...I believe PePe could have raced in the GP series and still raced Extraliga as he had offers from at least one other club but he had no desire to leave Zielona Gora who already had their GP rider place filled.

What I meant. But BSI dont pay it, FIM pays the prize money.

The prize money isn't very good though, especially for the lower order riders, and if you go to points money then the likes of Harris would probably end-up with only a few hundred quid per GP.

Bottom line is that less than 10% of the SGP revenue is going to the riders, even though they're the show.

The prize money thing is probably correct but I can't take 'Przeglad Sportowy' serious lol....

Of course if half of those say they won't sign on for next season,it only means anything if it is the half that have qualified or have a chance of qualifying.Plus would that really include the Monster sponsored riders?Would they risk losing their sponsorship and is it really any good money from Monster?You'd have to guess it is worth it the amount of times the monster bottle is stuck into the camera.But in all honesty is it a big deal if Kildemand or Jepsen Jensen or any of the other "also rans" decide not to ride and are replaced by someone else?After the first 4 or 5 they are all making up the numbers anyway and could quite easily be replaced imo

Speedway riders need to take a reality check regarding money,there will soon nothing left in the kitty In most countries.IMO

• Like 1

Just a very minor clarification...I believe PePe could have raced in the GP series and still raced Extraliga as he had offers from at least one other club but he had no desire to leave Zielona Gora who already had their GP rider place filled.

Very correct. Also I was there in the press conference after the Challenge in Vetlanda and Prota had every intention to ride in the SGP having claimed his spot in that meeting. Rule's changed and so did his decision.

So the Polish media have a pop at BSI?! I'm surprised 'One Sport' haven't thrown in their sixpennyworth!!!

So the Polish media have a pop at BSI?! I'm surprised 'One Sport' haven't thrown in their sixpennyworth!!!

I suspect they already have, just not in their own name. You know how it goes in speedway.

I do suspect that the Polish clubs are stirring this situation for their own narrow needs. One Sport will be delighted. It's sad to have top say it but the sooner British Speedway stops getting kicked around by the needs of the PZM, BSI and One Sport the better. A period of isolation while we rebuild seems necessary, as reflected in what appears to be planned for 2017.

Tai Woffinden says he's tired of being 'Mugged off" by the BSPA.

As a straightforward supporter these days I'm personally sick of being equally "Mugged off" by all of the current speedway authorities, BSPA, PZM, BSI and One Sport. I just want to watch sane speedway with proper teams at an affordable price weekly and all of these bodies are killing that.

Money talks.

Except in Poland it swears.

Edited by rmc

Tai Woffinden says he's tired of being 'Mugged off" by the BSPA.

His statement actually said "mugged of" but didn't say what was taken. ;)