British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
PolskiZuzel

Polish Ekstraliga Is Flexing Its Muscles

And it would help if the UK stuck to particular race nights too. High time the EL was raced two nights a week rather than five.

• Like 3

This is the Polish authorities being selfish barstewards imo ..... stick to bloody Sundays then there is no problem

As said before, in this or in the other thread, the issue isn't the race days. The issue is that riders ride every day of the week and then becomes injured because they are exhausted.

• Like 1

This is the Polish authorities being selfish barstewards imo ..... stick to bloody Sundays then there is no problem

Yes, you naughty naughty Polish people...how dare you look after your own interests. We British, who won the war, remember (and the World Cup in 1966) and who are just too good for you EU types, who can race on any day of the week that suits us, and even on Wednesdays, just to keep the riders flying backwards and forwards all week long, INSIST that you restrict yourselves to one day a week only.

So there. Ner!

• Like 1

I think the SGP series should switch to Sundays, giving much more flexibility for all the leagues!! ;-)

I think the SGP series should switch to Sundays, giving much more flexibility for all the leagues!! ;-)

Yes until a GP is rained off and the Elite League's Monday fixtures are cancelled.

And it would help if the UK stuck to particular race nights too. High time the EL was raced two nights a week rather than five.

Agreed although it's not so easy for us with non exclusive speedway stadiums ..

Put em on a Monday or something then we can use the prized Saturdays ...

Yes, you naughty naughty Polish people...how dare you look after your own interests. We British, who won the war, remember (and the World Cup in 1966) and who are just too good for you EU types, who can race on any day of the week that suits us, and even on Wednesdays, just to keep the riders flying backwards and forwards all week long, INSIST that you restrict yourselves to one day a week only.

So there. Ner!

OK Martinski, I'd love us to do only 2 days a week but as you know full well our stadium set up is NOTHING like Poland!

Perhaps then it's time to tailor the EL to the teams who can ride on the selected nights.

• Like 1

As said before, in this or in the other thread, the issue isn't the race days. The issue is that riders ride every day of the week and then becomes injured because they are exhausted.

And what about if they get injured riding Polish league, everyone else suffers, ridiculous argument!
  • Like 1

And what about if they get injured riding Polish league, everyone else suffers, ridiculous argument!

Of course it isn't.If they ride in less meetings they are less likely to be injured in one.From a Polish or any fans point of view if a rider turns up and then gets injured in their meeting it is bad luck,but it is extremely annoying if they don't even turn up as they got injured in a 'less important league' meeting.It is also very annoying if they turn up not 100% because of riding in other leagues.There was one guy on here years ago who was convinced that the sport was corrupt as he couldn't understand how they could score 12-15 pts 1 night and then the next nly get 4 or 5.Personally i don't see it has anything to do with that,nor the silencer but more the amount of meeting and travelling they do.No sportsperson can keep up that sort of schedule and hope to be consistent.

The riders are robbing the fans and the clubs by riding 5 nights a week or more and they are taking team places off others.Of course it has now got to the stage where there are not that many riders who could move into those freed up places,but if nothing is done the situation will only get worse

Yes and no. A slight reduction in meetings for the riders might be a good idea but it shouldn't be a national federation that decides such things.

Two meetings/week is also too strict. It should be 3 meetings/week+GP or SEC.

With three meetings/week the riders can do Elitserien+DK+PL or Elitserien+Allsvenskan+PL or Sweden+DK.

Many Swedish riders are doubling up, which increased the status and popularity of Allsvenskan when riders like Ljung, Lindbäck, PK, Zorro (retired now),

Thorssell, Kim Nilsson..., also rides for an Allsvenskan club.

Edited by Ghostwalker

And if they get themselves injured fulfilling a guest booking or some individual meeting in Britain, is that any better?

• Like 2

Kinda off topic but i was always wondering why in Britain speedway is run during the week and not on weekend when most people are off when i started following speedway in Rzeszow and going to matches it was the same as now on Sundays and stadium was always full or almost full the few meetings that were rained off and scheduled during mid week had tiny crowds as far as i know most professional sports events are held on weekend or at least majority of matches in those sports are(Premier Football for example).

Edited by pawel115

Kinda off topic but i was always wondering why in Britain speedway is run during the week and not on weekend when most people are off when i started following speedway in Rzeszow and going to matches it was the same as now on Sundays and stadium was always full or almost full the few meetings that were rained off and scheduled during mid week had tiny crowds as far as i know most professional sports events are held on weekend or at least majority of matches in those sports are(Premier Football for example).

Because GPs are Saturday and Poland is Sunday.

It's the only valid argument those who blame the decline of speedway in uk on the GPs have.

uk martin, on 02 Oct 2016 - 11:51 AM, said:

So there. Ner!

Typical Sassenach...

• Like 1

Dates back to the introduction of speedway in the UK. The sport arrived from Australia in 1928, the same time as greyhound racing from the USA. As a result 80-90% of speedway tracks were shared use with greyhounds and they often took the Saturday slot (Sunday's were not available due to religious based restrictions on commercial activity).

• Like 1