British Speedway Forum
steve roberts

What Makes A Good Speedway Track?

Are big tracks preferable to small?

Personally I prefer relatively small tracks (not trick tracks) which requires a certain amount of skill rather than the throttle turned full on for the entire four laps.

A decent amount of banking to allow different racing lines and preferably grippy (in the right places...but that's down more to track preparation)

Overly wide tracks don't necessarily mean more racing lines as I recall at Bradford...go out too wide and you loose ground.

Too narrow tracks obviously restrict racing lines and 'follow my leader' tends to be the way.

Too long straights and tight bends (Wolves and the old Belle Vue spring to mind) in my opinion don't/didn't always produce good racing. Much to do about getting a good gearing for the long straights which often compromised negotiating the tight hairpin bends together with the too powerful highly tuned bikes drifting wide.

Which begs the question which was my favourite track for racing entertainment? The old Belle Vue (Hyde Road), Swindon (when prepared correctly), Leicester (Blackbird Road), Oxford (well I would say that but that's based on following 'The Rebels' & "Cheetahs' for 32 years!), Hackney (albeit it did gain a reputation for being deemed dangerous...but that was more to do with the old lamp standards) and the old Eastbourne before it was spoilt with the first and second bend 'egg shape'.

Least favourite? Wolves and Arena Essex based on the tracks that I visited.

Personally I think it's far more to do with the shape and dirt than the size. Generally I like small tracks although you don't get the same sensation of speed. Think Wolverhampton is great because the surface is generally prepared at its best to suit the track.

Mildenhall on a good day is an example of a small track that rides like a much bigger one.

The new Belle Vue looks great on video but also looks like it needs a really good motor to do well.

Personally - I am a big fan of the Redcar Track when it is prepared properly.

I like Scunthorpe too.

What makes a good track? Not the dirt that King's Lynn use that's for sure.

In terms of size I personally don't think you can beat a full throttle track like Belle Vue, P'boro or Scunny. A good race on a fast track will always trump one in a tight circuit because you get more speed. Most important though is the width of the entry into the bends and the preparation.

• Like 2

i prefer the bigger tracks

but do agree redcaer always produced good racing when it was prepped right

a good speedway track for me is 1 thats prepaired well for good grip but not too much

the shape is vital to allow riders to ride different lines and try and pass rather than just follow and hope to make a pass on inside or out depending on the rider infront mooving off line

a fair track is always better for neutrals rather than a trick/biassed track to favour the home team or a individual rider

A track prepared for spectators, not riders.

A track prepared to allow good entertainment with plenty of passing.

• Like 1

only problem there is most spectators dont understand what they shout for

how many shout for more dirt then when its too grippy to turn the bikes they start crying bad track

but yes i do agree most modern riders want slick booring but safer track

Waht maketh a good speedway track is a subject I coud go on all day about. But won't. I always enjoy watching speedway, indeed I could watch a rider going round and round a slick track on his / her own all day.

Nutshell:

1 Surface / Preparartion

2 Shape

3 Width

4 Size.

Seen good and bad speedway, as opposed to racing for there is a difference, on all sizes of track from Costa Mesa / Wembley Arena 'polo'-miint size circuits to 1,000m long tracks. History shows speedway tracks have been square-ish, round-ish, cigar-shaped and so-called perfect ovals, with slick and also very grippy surfaces. But IMO surface needs to be top of the list then plenty of room to give riders the confidence to ride hard and so race one another, then they can adapt to the shape & size. Can't really comment on perparation, I once a had a long-ish and fascinating chat with a recognised and current 'track prep guy', but sadly I've forgotten a lot of what he told me. Not that I understood it all anyhoo ;) ....

• Like 1

Disagree, fans generally dont know what a good track is just what one looks like!! If the riders have confidence in the track they will race hard and racing in general is better..

• Like 2

I don't know whether it's the shape or the track material but Peterborough wins hands down. Never been to a poor meeting there.

• Like 3

Perhaps the best Track I have seen was Redcar when it first opened.

That was down to Glyn Taylor.

Perhaps the best Track I have seen was Redcar when it first opened.

That was down to Glyn Taylor.

better than Hyde Rd, the NSS or the likes of Bydgosh and Torun?

must have been some track?

Disagree, fans generally dont know what a good track is just what one looks like!! If the riders have confidence in the track they will race hard and racing in general is better..

yes and no. sometimes you get a track that riders call "perfect" and they fly round in trackrecord time, but there is bugger all passing as whoever makes the gate can just go flat out and not be caught.

only problem there is most spectators dont understand what they shout for

how many shout for more dirt then when its too grippy to turn the bikes they start crying bad track

but yes i do agree most modern riders want slick booring but safer track

many people on here have been moaning about slick tracks, not enough grip/dirt etc.

wheras the regulars at NSS for example have consistently pointed out that it races much much better slick. Would be hard to call that a boring track?

better than Hyde Rd, the NSS or the likes of Bydgosh and Torun?

must have been some track?

yes and no. sometimes you get a track that riders call "perfect" and they fly round in trackrecord time, but there is bugger all passing as whoever makes the gate can just go flat out and not be caught.

many people on here have been moaning about slick tracks, not enough grip/dirt etc.

wheras the regulars at NSS for example have consistently pointed out that it races much much better slick. Would be hard to call that a boring track?

...trouble is that modern bikes are difficult, apparently, to handle on heavy grippy tracks...hence why many tracks are prepared the way they are.