British Speedway Forum
Sidney the robin

Sweden Their Greatest Five Ever ?

Sweden five great riders with endless other great names missing. - (no order ) Fundin. - Knutsson - Rickardsson -Michanek - T.Jansson. here goes. 1./Fundin . 2.Michanek . 3.Rickardsson. 4.Knutsson. 5.T.Jansson.

Edited by Sidney the robin

My top five in my time of watching speedway from 1968 onwards. In no particular order, t.jansson, michanek, lofqvist, Jonsson and Rickardsson. This list is not compiled by acheivement, hence my inclusion of the west ham dynamo Christer lofqvist!

Olle Nygren's achievements included 5 world final appearances, including a third and two fourth places, a world team cup win in 1960 when he scored a maximum, as well as being a leading rider for virtually all of the 28 seasons he rode.

Rune Sormander appeared in 7 world finals, losing to Peter Craven in a third place run-off in 1957 and also won 4 golds and a silver in the Team Cup (1960-64).

Olle Nygren's achievements included 5 world final appearances, including a third and two fourth places, a world team cup win in 1960 when he scored a maximum, as well as being a leading rider for virtually all of the 28 seasons he rode.

Rune Sormander appeared in 7 world finals, losing to Peter Craven in a third place run-off in 1957 and also won 4 golds and a silver in the Team Cup (1960-64).

Good call with Olle

Obviously two pick themselves in Ove and TRick.Knutson must be the best of the rest.Then i would say Michanek and Olle.Sadly Tommy would only be included on potential rather than achievements in his career.At the point he sadly died he looked like he might well go on to be a true great.We will never know and can only speculate.He will always be my all time favourite though

From the names given:

i) Fundin

ii) Knutsson

iii) Michanek

iv) Rickardsson

v) Jansson

An honourable mention for Peter Karlsson who I personally admired very much both as a man and a Rider.

A biased view

Richardson

Fundin

Jonsson

Nordin

Harrysson

Michanek

I remember being in awe of the Swedish test teams in the late sixties, some of the Great Britain v Sweden test had fantastic line ups

Edited by Ken Morgan

1. Fundin

2. Rickardsson

3. Knutson

4. Michanek

5. Perm any one from Per Jonsson, Bengt Jansson, Olle Nygren, Gote Nordin.....probably have to go for Per Jonsson.

Edited by norbold

Did you ever see Michanek.?

Not live, he had retired by the time I started going as a youngster in 81. Seen world final etc. footage. But would have to be the 4th best rider of the 70s on his record, just behind PC.

Also haven't seen Jansson but not sure he should be ranked ahead of jonsson who managed a world title despite a prematurely curtailed career. But understand he was an incredible talent.

Edit: the only one of the riders being discussed here that I did see live is per jonsson, and that was before he emerged as world class.

For me . . .

Fundin

Nordin

Rickardsson

Knutsson (as spelt when riding here!)

Michanek

Honourable mentions for Sjosten (Soren) and Jansson (Bengt)

Bernie Persson? Close to becoming World Champion in 72, top career as well. Maybe not quite in top top riders