British Speedway Forum
lucifer sam

Scunthorpe Scorpions V Newcastle & Workington ( S G B Championship) - Bank Holiday Monday, August 28th (3pm)

Updated said palm toft fell and looked like he collided with start Marshall ambulance was needed.

Word was he got filled in and collided with the items (fire extinguishers etc) near the starting date. It was Palm Toft that hit the starting marshal not his bike and it was a complete and total accident.

The first meeting was disappointing in terms of racing and equally as disappointing were Auty & Palm Toft. The second meeting was much better, and so were Palm Toft and Auty. Workington were poor and Sarjeant worse.

A quick word for the referee, Chris Durno. Not only did he keep the meeting moving along as quickly as he could - with Rob Godfrey in complete agreement - he also made sure that the second meeting started sooner than might have been the case.

Not often referees get praised on here, but he did an excellent job :approve:

• Like 1

At Newcastle on Sunday, I noticed a rider (Scunthorpe and possibly the Kerminator) mount the grass and knock over a member of Newcastle's track staff. It looked like an accident which I am sure it will turn out to be. Did something similar happen at Scunthorpe this arternoon?

Eeeerrrr on Sunday the member of the track staff went down in instalments in front of Lewis Kerr who took evasive action to avoid what could have been a nasty collision for both.

I'm sure there was no intent from the track staff :lol:

Word was he got filled in and collided with the items (fire extinguishers etc) near the starting date. It was Palm Toft that hit the starting marshal not his bike and it was a complete and total accident.

The first meeting was disappointing in terms of racing and equally as disappointing were Auty & Palm Toft. The second meeting was much better, and so were Palm Toft and Auty. Workington were poor and Sarjeant worse.

A quick word for the referee, Chris Durno. Not only did he keep the meeting moving along as quickly as he could - with Rob Godfrey in complete agreement - he also made sure that the second meeting started sooner than might have been the case.

Ditto what HT posted.

First meeting not as good as the second... having said that, Robert Lambert was a class apart, a complete joy to watch a rider in such form. Together with the formidable Lindgren and Summers the Diamonds were just simply too good for us today. Heat 7 0-5 didn't help our cause either.... and with Palm Toft and Auty underperforming the Diamonds deservedly took their first ever win at the EWR.

Second meeting quite surprisingly turned out a one sided affair. A great solid team effort from Scunny. Some great racing.. and the meeting done and dusted in about hour and twenty minutes. Workington were pretty poor to be honest.. Summers looked a completely different rider to the one that rode for Newcastle. Campton, Proctor and Jorgensen all had good moments but were far too inconsistent. Jorgensen very unlucky to be adjudged at fault for the heat 6 stoppage, looked to me like David Howe perhaps the primary cause for that one.

Talking of David Howe, great to see him back in Scunny colours, albeit for just one day. Good effort from him.

Also.. Good to hear the Assistant Start Marshall Derek Holt is Ok after being clattered by Palm Toft... Nasty incident, pure accident.. Hope he's not feeling too sore in the morning.

Edited by Albert

Reading of a couple of sore bodies for the Comets this afternoon, (Campo/Serjeant) and 3 in 3 wont have helped so fair play to them for at least having a go, as for the rest of it well, least said soonest mended? :oops:

he needs to go well , because he aint up at glasgee next year .

Aaron clearly upset by your comments and only scored 3. But in the first match he scored 10 from 4 for the diamonds. Funny old game, speedway

something tells me ann summers does not read this forum . if he did , he would never ride speedway again .

another one to go with steve worrall in the book of no hope guests .

you reading this ann , no thought not .

• Like 1

I thought that the referee kept the meeting spinning along fine. No complaints there.

The start of the 2nd meeting seemed to take an age though. They obviously had to work on the track and get it prepared but three quarters of an hour is long enough to sit around doing nothing.

Does anyone know how the start marshal is?

I saw the whole thing and it didn't look good at the time.

HT always gives good fair comments on Scorpions meetings. Had Auty and MPT ridden as they usually do . the win could have been for Scorpions. However they obviously didn't like or couldn't get on with the dry dusty track! so no blame on them! That's why I like the night meetings....please night meetings next year Rob!

I hope we never see a 3 pm start time again too early imo. Robert Lambert is a class act, as much as I like to see him in the championship I hope he gets regular rides in the polish league next year.

Edited by eric i

Surprised Palm_Toft was not thrown out of the meeting for what he did.

Why?

I went looking for Derek (assistant start marshal) in between the 2 meetings & he wasn't in the pits but was told he could be lying down somewhere. When I returned to my spot in the 4th bend stand, Derek, was talking to the main start marshal at the start line, but not in start marshal top. Obviously, no after effects but might be sore today.

• Like 3

I thought that the referee kept the meeting spinning along fine. No complaints there.

The start of the 2nd meeting seemed to take an age though. They obviously had to work on the track and get it prepared but three quarters of an hour is long enough to sit around doing nothing.

Agreed. That wasn't Scunthorpe's fault, though. I thought in the time it took to prepare the track Workington could have got changed and warmed the bikes up and we would be away. I couldn't believe it when they did a track walk - and Rob didn't look too pleased either.

The fact that it was 45 minutes was down to the referee. Without his intervention, it would have been longer.

One other thing : James Sarjeant showing off after race :icon_smile_clown: Mind you, he didn't anticipate the formidable Mrs Godfrey having a word afterwards :D

HT always gives good fair comments on Scorpions meetings. Had Auty and MPT ridden as they usually do . the win could have been for Scorpions. However they obviously didn't like or couldn't get on with the dry dusty track! so no blame on them! That's why I like the night meetings....please night meetings next year Rob!

Rob has said they will go back to night meetings if they get the gates. Definitely better speedway in the evenings, but no-one can blame him for sticking with Sundays if attendances are better.

Speaking of that, Sunday was one of the better ones this season.

• Like 1

My question for the future would be how would people feel if all meetings were double headers next season. Rob said he needed 500 to break even and would say there was about 600 to 650 there . Bar was fairly busy as was the cafe. Maybe start mid April at 4pm on a Sunday afternoon still he finished by 7.30 meetings every 2 weeks and always run bank holiday Monday. Wouldn't be to difficult to arrange the teams who fetch a lot of away supporters i.e. (Sheffield,Peterborough,Redcar) with the teams who don't fetch as many examples Edinburgh Workington .

I went looking for Derek (assistant start marshal) in between the 2 meetings & he wasn't in the pits but was told he could be lying down somewhere. When I returned to my spot in the 4th bend stand, Derek, was talking to the main start marshal at the start line, but not in start marshal top. Obviously, no after effects but might be sore today.

I believe our Start Marshall, Phil Day, stood in for him after the accident as he was down with the Diamonds.

• Like 2

Agreed. That wasn't Scunthorpe's fault, though. I thought in the time it took to prepare the track Workington could have got changed and warmed the bikes up and we would be away. I couldn't believe it when they did a track walk - and Rob didn't look too pleased either.

The fact that it was 45 minutes was down to the referee. Without his intervention, it would have been longer.

One other thing : James Sarjeant showing off after race :icon_smile_clown: Mind you, he didn't anticipate the formidable Mrs Godfrey having a word afterwards :D

Rob has said they will go back to night meetings if they get the gates. Definitely better speedway in the evenings, but no-one can blame him for sticking with Sundays if attendances are better.

Speaking of that, Sunday was one of the better ones this season.

workington were given a start time so not there fault that they didnt get ready untill close to the start time

double headers dont work draged out too long and wonder what would have been said if workington were ready to go and asked to start 5 mins after the first meeting finished

• Like 2