British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
racers and royals

Melbourne Gp Saturday 28th October 2017

Well if you can't pay the reserves enough to attend then I'd suggest the whole GP is in a precarious position financially and should be scrapped. If you can't run to the rules you shouldn't be allowed to run.

The SGP no doubt could afford to pay series reserves to attend meetings, but it would cost them another USD 85k they dont have to spend out of their profits. Getting local reserves in is much cheaper.

In fact, the SGP did used to pay for series reserves to be at meetings, and they used to switch with the bottom 2 riders at each GP. However, that got scrapped when the lineup increased to 24 riders, and was never reinstated when the field was again cut back to 16 riders to fund a long overdue increase in prize money.

And not sure of the exact situation with Melbourne, but dont bikes have to be taken to a certain airport (Amsterdam comes to mind) by a certain date, and theyre then crated and put on pallets together to be flown to Australia.

Maybe none of the series reserves could be bothered with that hassle for the last round of the season?

Yes a Dutch company in Duiven takes care of the transport of the bikes to Australia.

The SGP no doubt could afford to pay series reserves to attend meetings, but it would cost them another USD 85k they dont have to spend out of their profits. Getting local reserves in is much cheaper.

In fact, the SGP did used to pay for series reserves to be at meetings, and they used to switch with the bottom 2 riders at each GP. However, that got scrapped when the lineup increased to 24 riders, and was never reinstated when the field was again cut back to 16 riders to fund a long overdue increase in prize money.

And not sure of the exact situation with Melbourne, but dont bikes have to be taken to a certain airport (Amsterdam comes to mind) by a certain date, and theyre then crated and put on pallets together to be flown to Australia.

Maybe none of the series reserves could be bothered with that hassle for the last round of the season?

THE bikes, spare engines, tools, etc had to be in Amsterdam two days after Torun to be air-freighted to Melbourne. Once there they undergo extremely vigorous customs examination by the Australian authorities who are paranoid about anything that could bring an infestation into the country.

The decision about who would complete the line-up in Melbourne was taken by the FIM SGP committee after consultation with Motorcycle Australia.

Has I have said previously, injured riders are an inherent problem more likely to occur at the end of a season. There was never a problem at the three SGPs in New Zealand which opened rather than closed the campaign.

I'm in Croatia and the hotel have Lent me an I phone,should I be able to watch the GP in the morning on it on the speedway GP site. Not sure the wife will be to happy. Lol

Ask them if they have Sportklub on TV so you don't have to watch it on the phone.

It's on Sportklub 5.

Edited by Kreso

Ask them if they have Sportklub on TV so you don't have to watch it on the phone.

I'd on Sportklub 5.[/quote

Will do thanks

Go down in the history books Jason Doyle! As the man who has been the best rider in the world for the last two seasons ( by any reasonable measure ) the world title is well deserved. And Dudek's achievement of a likely Silver Medal in his debut year is incredible. Push on Tai ,for a Bronze medal to show your world class consistency. Let's hope for great racing to end an excellent GP speedway season.

Doyle will be crowned Champion soon rather than later in the meeting, but lets hope we get a decent meeting to end this years SGP.

Not a great crowd. Shame as its Australias biggest ever speedway meeting. Perhaps the meeting should be run as as season opener rather than the last. That way the Aussies would see an injury free lineup and the last meetings would be where the fans are.

I noticed Woffinden singing the Aussie national anthem there. Unusual thing for a “Brit” to do.

• Like 1

Not a great crowd. Shame as its Australias biggest ever speedway meeting. Perhaps the meeting should be run as as season opener rather than the last. That way the Aussies would see an injury free lineup and the last meetings would be where the fans are.

I noticed Woffinden singing the Aussie national anthem there. Unusual thing for a “Brit” to do.

:D

How can you tell from limited TV pictures.

Tight lines...