Jump to content
British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
falcace

Last ever Hyde Road meeting

Recommended Posts

Saw this pop up on Facebook yesterday. What a cracking piece of film, well worth half an hour of anyone's time. Really takes in the surroundings of a much loved iconic venue. 

I was there too, but couldn't quite spot myself! Others might see themselves here. 

 

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, falcace said:

Saw this pop up on Facebook yesterday. What a cracking piece of film, well worth half an hour of anyone's time. Really takes in the surroundings of a much loved iconic venue. 

I was there too, but couldn't quite spot myself! Others might see themselves here. 

 

Great footage!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for posting that, more than anything it was great to see some old familiar faces amongst the track staff and supporters, a nice little half hour of nostalgia for any Aces fan of a certain age.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, nw42 said:

Thanks for posting that, more than anything it was great to see some old familiar faces amongst the track staff and supporters, a nice little half hour of nostalgia for any Aces fan of a certain age.

Thankyou very much for that footage,had some many happy memories of watching the Tigers there and some belting individual meetings,actually brought a tear to my eye,was a sad loss when it had to close.

Edited by Moranboys
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glad that I managed to visit Hyde Road on a number of occasion...never made Kirky Lane.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Me too, the place simply oozed atmosphere.....

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, martinmauger said:

Me too, the place simply oozed atmosphere.....

There was something wonderful and totally unique about the place...

As much as I loved Wimbledon, Wembley, and all the rest, Hyde Road had the atmosphere of an historic and imposing place of worship.

Edited by chunky
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, chunky said:

There was something wonderful and totally unique about the place...

As much as I loved Wimbledon, Wembley, and all the rest, Hyde Road had the atmosphere of an historic and imposing place of worship.

Wasn't West Ham the same Steve. Both had Imposing wooden stands, great race tracks and wreaked of History. In my eyes, Custom House was the Hyde Road of the South.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

Wasn't West Ham the same Steve. Both had Imposing wooden stands, great race tracks and wreaked of History. In my eyes, Custom House was the Hyde Road of the South.

Unfortunately, while I certainly remember my trips to Custom House with great fondness, the fact that I was only a kid when they closed does blur the memory a little! Of course, I made many more trips up to Hyde Road in the 80's. Having said that, I do agree with you.

It does sound like we feel the same way. Yes, construction was very "basic" with the old stadiums (football as well as speedway), but for me, there was something very romantic about concrete, wood, and corrugated iron! Seriously! I know I'm weird, but there is a certain mystique to early 20th Century British architecture. Of course, I think a big part of that was having a big bloody stadium plonked in the middle of terraced housing!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, chunky said:

Unfortunately, while I certainly remember my trips to Custom House with great fondness, the fact that I was only a kid when they closed does blur the memory a little! Of course, I made many more trips up to Hyde Road in the 80's. Having said that, I do agree with you.

It does sound like we feel the same way. Yes, construction was very "basic" with the old stadiums (football as well as speedway), but for me, there was something very romantic about concrete, wood, and corrugated iron! Seriously! I know I'm weird, but there is a certain mystique to early 20th Century British architecture. Of course, I think a big part of that was having a big bloody stadium plonked in the middle of terraced housing!

Bit like Roker Park in Sunderland where I used to go on all too rare occasions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, steve roberts said:

Bit like Roker Park in Sunderland where I used to go on all too rare occasions.

When we were up in Salford back in the 90's, we had a drive around the area (never spent any time in Manchester other than trips to Belle Vue), and Maine Road was just the same. Obviously, there were many more back in the day...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great footage, thank you. Does anybody have the knowledge and time to post the line ups from those meetings please? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

Great footage, thank you. Does anybody have the knowledge and time to post the line ups from those meetings please? 

I think it's something like...

Aces

1 Peter Ravn
2 Bernie Collier
3 Chris Morton
4 Richard Knight (G)
5 David Blackburn (G)
6 Glenn Hornby
7 Kenny McKinna

Coventry
1 Tommy Knudsen
2 David Bargh
3 Kelvin Tatum
4 Rick Miller
5 John Jorgensen
6 Andy Hackett
7 David Clarke

I think Paul Thorp and Andy Smith may have been Aussie bound when this League Cup Final replay was rearranged, so were missing from the Aces line up. Can't tell you what happened yesterday, but I can reel off this useless info no problem :wink:

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/6/2020 at 6:42 AM, falcace said:

Saw this pop up on Facebook yesterday. What a cracking piece of film, well worth half an hour of anyone's time. Really takes in the surroundings of a much loved iconic venue. 

I was there too, but couldn't quite spot myself! Others might see themselves here. 

 

Wow, that brought back memories. Thanks for posting!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Privacy Policy