British Speedway Forum
Racin Jason 72

Kent kings are no more ??

14 hours ago, FinnThomsen said:

Something strange has happened here.... I spoke to Len on Tuesday and it was all see you next year.....

What’s strange but not unusual is no statement from Len Silver denying this or explaining what has happened.

My understanding is that Len promoted at Kent on behalf of the then stadium owner Roger Cearnes (don't think I've spelled that right!). Therefore, no rent would have been necessary.

No doubt ARC are now wanting the speedway promotion to pay rent - perhaps what they are asking is excessive - only the two parties concerned will know that.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, brianbuck said:

My understanding is that Len promoted at Kent on behalf of the then stadium owner Roger Cearnes (don't think I've spelled that right!). Therefore, no rent would have been necessary.

No doubt ARC are now wanting the speedway promotion to pay rent - perhaps what they are asking is excessive - only the two parties concerned will know that.

Nail on the head i reckon.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, brianbuck said:

That sounds very plausible Brian.

I've read in a few places too from Kent supporters that Kent's Crowds (other than v Eastbourne local derbies) were not as high as expected / budgeted for and  similar to NDL levels in the past few seasons.

With Nicholls and Batchelor probably high earners it would be logical to assume that Len; faced with a substantial rent increase has done his sums and they don't look at all good and if his biggest crowds are against a side not running in 2022 (based on their statement last Friday); is it possible that this has changed the picture to a pretty gloomy one and forced Len's hand? 

The question a few have asked, would Len transfer his License to Arlington and run a team there with the new Eastbourne management. Especially if both sides have pretty much been forced out by much lower than budgeted crowds in the 2021 season and could combine their hard core support in to something that would be viable.

18 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

Official Kent statement at 12 noon today!!

Len Silver retiring from speedway but will give every help and assistance to any new younger promoter at Central Park.

4 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

Len Silver retiring from speedway but will give every help and assistance to any new younger promoter at Central Park.

That’s not what the article says. He said he was retiring from Kent Speedway, not all of speedway. 
My guess is he has phrased this carefully to allow him to reappear somewhere else. He’s only 89 after all. Far too young to retire :D

• Haha 2

Best wishes  for aHappy Retirement,he certainly has done his bit for the Sport and knew the game inside out.Decent rider in his day too.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Wee Eck said:

That’s not what the article says. He said he was retiring from Kent Speedway, not all of speedway. 
My guess is he has phrased this carefully to allow him to reappear somewhere else. He’s only 89 after all. Far too young to retire :D

The headline clearly says "Silver retiring from the sport"!

5 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Best wishes  for aHappy Retirement,he certainly has done his bit for the Sport and knew the game inside out.Decent rider in his day too.

Provincial League Riders Champion. Not a bad standard for the era. Hackney and Rye House probably wouldn’t have survived as long as they did without him as promoter and he put far more into the sport in terms of both money and effort than he ever took out.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

The headline clearly says "Silver retiring from the sport"!

I agree BUT if you read the statement he says he is retiring from all activities with Kent speedway. If he is retiring fair play to him he has earnt it but it is in his blood and I for one cannot see him totally turning away from the sport.

50 minutes ago, HGould said:

I've read in a few places too from Kent supporters that Kent's Crowds (other than v Eastbourne local derbies) were not as high as expected / budgeted for and  similar to NDL levels in the past few seasons.

With Nicholls and Batchelor probably high earners it would be logical to assume that Len; faced with a substantial rent increase has done his sums and they don't look at all good and if his biggest crowds are against a side not running in 2022 (based on their statement last Friday); is it possible that this has changed the picture to a pretty gloomy one and forced Len's hand? 

The question a few have asked, would Len transfer his License to Arlington and run a team there with the new Eastbourne management. Especially if both sides have pretty much been forced out by much lower than budgeted crowds in the 2021 season and could combine their hard core support in to something that would be viable.

Not sure where you have read the crowd levels were not as high as expected? The support this season at Kent has been really good. In fact recently Len publicly stated Kent were on course to make a profit for the 8th year running. Also as a thank you to the supporters he gave 1/3 off the entrance fee for the last home match. 

It is obvious that agreement with the new owners not just about rent but I suspect other things as well cannot be reached.  

1 hour ago, HGould said:

Crowds were good at Eastbourne 2021 for Championship level. Do not believe all Ian / Carol Jordan had been advertising.

What was not was the man running it and now appears to have gone into hiding