British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Bald Bloke

King's Lynn v Ipswich. League Cup 25/4/22

11 minutes ago, racers and royals said:

Steady on !!  - far to positive for you :D

Give credit when credit is due .

Based on his performances at Lynn so far Josh Pickering is the kind of rider who will make people keep coming back, pure entertainment and a rider who gets people up on their feet and excited. They don't come around very often, in terms of excitement he appears to be in the same bracket as Lee, Gustafsson, Loram, Ward  Lambert and to a lesser extent Parker and Nermark in their really good seasons. He seems completely suited to the Lynn track, it's perfect for him. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, racers and royals said:

Steady on !!  - far to positive for you :D

I'm choking on my cuppa here :lol:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, bigcatdiary said:

Clearly didn’t see the positives that Hawkins Did, lol.

I’m no fan of Hawkins but to be fair to him, what he said was there were positives from our OWN actual riders, and there were as they all scored pretty well for an away meeting. The score looks awful because two guests scored 1 point between them with a single point for Riss’ R/R rides says it all.  Starke and Riss in particular were a huge miss last night. 

Edited by Arch Stanton

1 hour ago, Bagpuss said:

Based on his performances at Lynn so far Josh Pickering is the kind of rider who will make people keep coming back, pure entertainment and a rider who gets people up on their feet and excited. They don't come around very often, in terms of excitement he appears to be in the same bracket as Lee, Gustafsson, Loram, Ward  Lambert and to a lesser extent Parker and Nermark in their really good seasons. He seems completely suited to the Lynn track, it's perfect for him. 

3 newbies standing with us,dad and his 2 kids around 14 yrs old.They have now come to the first 2 meetings(enjoyed it last week).Would think the shift Pickering alone put in last week made them want to come back again yesterday.My daughters boyfriend went to speedway for the first time away at Peterborough and really enjoyed it and came to the home meeting.They couldn't make it yesterday as they are working away.It shows people can still enjoy the product if you can get the riders in like Pickering who they can enjoy to watch.It's not just his riding,but doesn't he enjoy bigging it up with the crowd.Must have to dig out my air horn from 35 years ago now.Are we still allowed to use them or are they outlawed now with many other things.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, tellboy said:

3 newbies standing with us,dad and his 2 kids around 14 yrs old.They have now come to the first 2 meetings(enjoyed it last week).Would think the shift Pickering alone put in last week made them want to come back again yesterday.My daughters boyfriend went to speedway for the first time away at Peterborough and really enjoyed it and came to the home meeting.They couldn't make it yesterday as they are working away.It shows people can still enjoy the product if you can get the riders in like Pickering who they can enjoy to watch.It's not just his riding,but doesn't he enjoy bigging it up with the crowd.Must have to dig out my air horn from 35 years ago now.Are we still allowed to use them or are they outlawed now with many other things.

Yes you're still allowed, people don't buy them because of the cost these days .... you can get ones that don't use cannisters of compressed air online though!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

A bit early to be calling that Baggy lad. 100% he alone has given you a shot in the arm to love the sport again though hasn't he?! 

Good to read that there's a bit of buzz around the place again but there are still major concerns, we have to fix that No1 / No5 slot when Iversen moves on. It will be huge for the most important part of the season, the league. 

Could be the difference in matching Sheffield or 2nd bottom. 

We're way to good for the wooden spoon, Ipswich have that nailed on which is a beautiful sight :lol:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

Something else that will keep people coming back is running the meeting at the pace they did last night. Credit where credits due, only one track grade, a quick interval and a track that offered more than one line. Some of the races literally got me out of my seat, and In Pickering we certainly have someone worth coming to watch. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tellboy said:

Only allowed if they are not too close to my ear :D

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ColeTrickle said:

Something else that will keep people coming back is running the meeting at the pace they did last night. Credit where credits due, only one track grade, a quick interval and a track that offered more than one line. Some of the races literally got me out of my seat, and In Pickering we certainly have someone worth coming to watch. 

Never understood the constant track grading that goes on at many places..

Just when the track gets an outside line developing they drag the dirt back down to make the inside the place to ride again..

Every three or four races the racing gradually improves and then it gets put back to "inside line" wins again until the outside naturally develops once more..

Then rinse and repeat...

Especially at the very grippy tracks you want the inside to slicken off as quickly as you can, as it can often be like "riding on rails" in the deep surface...

Meaning the racing is "too fast" to expect anyone behind to have the speed to overtake, even if the wider line they need to take allows them the chance.. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

It's a puzzle, he looks fast enough and has a good style but just can't get out of the gate and looks tentative behind other riders. Was as fast as Worrall in heat 14 but kept hesitating into the bends which gave him no chance to pass.

He was like that at Ipswich against Peterborough, had the speed but shutting off half way down the straights

45 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

A bit early to be calling that Baggy lad. 100% he alone has given you a shot in the arm to love the sport again though hasn't he?! 

It is and that's why I said 'so far' and 'appears to be', but yes he has rekindled my enthusiasm considerably. And you are right, they need to sort the Iversen/Killer situation adequately or we will be also rans.

40 minutes ago, ColeTrickle said:

It was refreshing for it to all be over in 90 minutes but I actually thought the track was a bit too slick and the dirt too wide too early, it could have done with more grading and watering for me. Some of the races were great as you say but several were FTG too, it seemed too easy to gate and sit out wide. Could have done with a little more down low.

Edited by Bagpuss
  • Like 1

Wolves away on Monday will determine if Lynn will be in with a shout of the league and if Pickering can stand up to the test of his elevated status to #1 

Lynn havn't had a meeting yet against a full strength opposition team ,the trip to Monmore maybe the opposite now with Lynn the under strength team

Nice to see the enthusiasm back amongst the lynn fans

41 minutes ago, scoobydoo said:

Wolves away on Monday will determine if Lynn will be in with a shout of the league and if Pickering can stand up to the test of his elevated status to #1 

Lynn havn't had a meeting yet against a full strength opposition team ,the trip to Monmore maybe the opposite now with Lynn the under strength team

Nice to see the enthusiasm back amongst the lynn fans

This is a very good point, it's been a great start but I don't think anyone is getting carried away,  we have been a bit fortunate so far. Meetings against the other three sides will give us a better idea of where this team is at.  

On 4/26/2022 at 3:40 PM, Arch Stanton said:

I’m no fan of Hawkins but to be fair to him, what he said was there were positives from our OWN actual riders, and there were as they all scored pretty well for an away meeting. The score looks awful because two guests scored 1 point between them with a single point for Riss’ R/R rides says it all.  Starke and Riss in particular were a huge miss last night. 

If Hawkins is happy with three heat wins from 12 races, and 21 out of 36 points for Doyle and Batchelor, then he's happy to lose matches.

Edited by Roger Jacobs
  • Like 2