British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
PhilTheAce

6 team league

1 hour ago, Bagpuss said:

I think it would have to be a serious restructuring with a bit more flexibility on race nights. The main issue for me is that so many riders are now used to two incomes and a bigger Prem with a lower standard Chapighy struggle to work. It's going to be a very difficult circle to square but both leagues aren't really working at the moment for different reasons and it needs sorting out somehow. Not easy.

Yeah seems to have gone so far down this doubling up/down path, I'm not sure how you get out of it now! I remember when it started off with just young brits doing it in the reserve position and sharing the role.

• Like 1

Funny, when i mentioned the small league the other day someone said ....

The fact that there aren't many teams isn't the problem

;)

We can't get rid of doubling up/down, neither now nor in the future. The riders wouldn't stand for it, and they are the people who effectively control British Speedway. 

Allowing riders to ride for more than one team has been the most damaging so-called rule that the BSPA have come up with. The BSPL could easily introduce a rule limiting it to two double uppers per team, then reduce it to one per team a year later, and thenscrap it altogether - but they won't. Like I say, the riders just wouldn't wear it.

How I detest this nonsensical rule.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, arnieg said:

Oh for the good old days like 1991 when Reading and Poole met 13 times.

Ipswich and King's Lynn also met multiple times in various competitions.

People have very selective memories, because in general the sport was in a healthy state, and there wasn't so much competition from TV, the internet and ever rising costs. 

9 hours ago, PhilTheAce said:

Obviously I can only comment on belle vues fixtures but I should imagine it will be the same for all clubs. Well it will be. 

We have yet again having to wait 3 weeks for our next home match. 
we have already had a previous 3 week wait and X2 2 week breaks. 

for some less is better. For others less is not. Myself prefers regularl fixtures. It’s so easy to stop going after a few weeks break when you have not missed it. 

man’s when you return it’s the same team you faces 3 matches ago. 

we kind of accepted the 6 team league last year thinking it was a one off. But not now. It’s unacceptable to have 6 teams and this can’t carry on next year. 

if no clubs are willing to move up then they need 1 league or shortens the season by starting late April/early may and cutting the season short. 

100%...

The compound issue Phil is that what should be the pinnacle of the sport in the UK gets completely devalued by teams deciding/being allowed to not compete in it...

And that devaluation is before you add in the odd "made up septets" to devalue it even further...

What those who decide to avoid making the top league the absolute most important one to sell the sport with fail to realise, is that their own lower standard of product is also then equally devalued as well....

Simply. If the pinnacle of the sport in the UK isn't worth competing for in the eyes of promoters, then how are any of them worth competing for in the eyes of the fans?

They have to find a way of at least 8 teams in the top league I would suggest....

With a similar amount in Div 2, allied to a reasonable level NDL at the top of the team, and development at the bottom end of it, for the rest of the teams...

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, brianbuck said:

..... has been the most damaging so-called rule that the BSPA have come up with... How I detest this nonsensical rule.

Well said Brian.

In history as a Wolves fan who did Wolves home and away for every fixture and then did Brum to see the riders from the other division that I would not see and as a bonus get a visit to the Barton Arms in.... I now don't have to do Perry Barr. I'm not alone!!! My other mates used to do Premier away... then A or B fixture and now don't bother. No wonder crowds are down. Aargh. . time to wake up.

9 hours ago, Skidder1 said:

The Premiership League fixtures didn't start til May!!!

If we had an 8 team league do you think we’d have enough time to get all the fixtures in ? We’ve known for 4 weeks now who the cup finalists are and still no date announced for the final for the early season competition!!!!!!

1 hour ago, Charlieboy said:

If we had an 8 team league do you think we’d have enough time to get all the fixtures in ? We’ve known for 4 weeks now who the cup finalists are and still no date announced for the final for the early season competition!!!!!!

And on the subject of Tigers v Kings Lynn, the home league fixture , due to be raced on 12th May, but called off due to stadium unavailable ( why wasn't this checked prior to fixtures being agreed), still not re arranged, over 7 weeks after the call off. Why so long?

There are just too many issues with the way Speedway is currently in the UK, there is not one huge fix, its loads of little tiny fixes which need doing one by one and then as each one is undone it will divide the fan base etc. and nobody will ever be happy.

What would I like to see? I think there is too much emphasis on league racing, I understand it needs to stay as its been the backbone of British Speedway since the start, but just have league competitions, fans aren't really interested in other competitions they want to see their team make the play-offs and win them!  also foreign riders don't want huge fixtures and with the Polish rules relaxing somewhat, then it may entice a few big hitters over with the view of riding in a reduced calendar.

What I would like to see advertised as the main event of British Speedway is the introduction of the British Speedway GP Series, ran over 8 meetings, featuring 12 of the best domestic riders, each rider having 4 rides over 12 heats with the top 4 into a final, so 13 heats, I would also like to see a British Speedway GP2 Series run alongside it, featuring 8 of the best domestic riders in this category, each rider taking 4 rides over 8 heats with the top 4 riders going into a final, so 9 heats, overall thats 22 heats of Speedway across two different series.

British Speedway GP Championship
1 Charles Wright
2 Lewis Kerr
3 Richard Lawson
4 Richie Worrall
5 Danny King
6 Scott Nicholls
7 Tom Brennan
8 Chris Harris
9 Craig Cook
10 Kyle Howarth
11 Adam Ellis

Steve Worrall

British Speedway GP2 Championship
1 Connor Bailey
2 Jack Thomas
3 Joe Thompson
4 Drew Kemp
5 Dan Gilkes
6 Leon Flint
7 Jordan Palin
8 Dan Thompson

Try and do what the darts do with betting partners for each of the 8 rounds, generate some prize money to, funnily enough, reward British riders, and have this as a focal point, you are most likely going to get a "new" fan attend a one-off meeting especially if its promoted as a championship round or a grand prix, then its all about trying to then get them to a league match

League Speedway should still exist with just two leagues, the top league should consist of 8 sides, the 2nd league to consist of 10 sides, no cups or pairs etc. just league racing once at home, once away with play off matches, however the below will see the state of Speedway in this country

Belle Vue Kings Lynn Ipswich Poole
Max Fricke Robert Lambert Jason Doyle Jack Holder
Tom Brennan Lewis Kerr Patrick Hansen Nico Covatti
Matej Zagar Richard Lawson Erik Riss Brady Kurtz
Charles Wright Thomas Jorgensen Danny King Chris Harris
Dan Bewley Neils Kristian Iversen Nicolai Klindt Chris Holder
Norick Blodorn Richie Worrall Paul Starke Zach Cook
Connor Bailey Jack Thomas Danyon Hume Drew Kemp

Peterborough Sheffield Wolverhampton Oxford
Michael Palm-Toft Martin Vaculik Sam Masters Tai Woffinden
Hans Andersen Craig Cook Steve Worrall Scott Nicholls
Rasmus Jensen Tobiasz Musielak Jacob Thorsell Josh Pickering
Ulrich Ostergaard Kyle Howarth Nick Morris Troy Batchelor
Kenneth Bjerre Adam Ellis Ryan Douglas Jaimon Lidsey
Ben Basso Jake Allen Luke Becker Jonas Knudsen
Dan Gilkes Connor Mountain Leon Flint

Jordan Palin

This could be roughly what an 8-team league looks like with 7 riders, this includes 12 new or returning riders with the number 7's doubling down, If riders don't return then the product gets watered down

The 2nd Division could look something like this, based on only the "rising star" doubling down

Berwick Birmingham Edinburgh Glasgow Scunthorpe
Ricky Wells Claus Vissing Kye Thomson Broc Nicol Josh Auty
Jye Etheridge Justin Sedgeman Michele Castagna Connor Bailey Tero Aarnio
Theo Pijper Ashley Morris Lasse Frederiksen Danyon Hume Zaine Kennedy
Leon Flint Stefan Nielsen James Sarjeant Ben Cook Simon Lambert
Kyle Bickley James Shanes Jacob Hook Ty Proctor Jordan Palin
Dillon Ruml James Pearson 1 3 Connor Coles
Josh MacDonald Dan Gilkes 2 4 George Congreve

Leicester Newcastle Plymouth Redcar Mildenhall
Joe Thompson Bradley Wilson Dean Alfie Bowtell Kasper Andersen Ryan Kinsley
Dan Thompson Matt Wethers Ben Morley Adam Roynon Cameron Heeps
Connor Mountain Max Clegg Harry McGurk Jason Edwards 12
Jack Thomas James Wright Kyle Newman Jordan Jenkins 13
Nathan Ablitt Lee Complin 8 Henry Atkins 14
5 Jack Smith 9 Drew Kemp 15
6 7 10 11 16

As you can see the quality of the league drops significantly and this includes any current NL rider that has an average above 6, you could add more from the NL to make up the numbers or increase who can double down, or try and see what riders might come and race over here potentially young Australians, danes and germans

These riders could earn team spots

William Lawson
Tom Wooley
Greg Blair
Luke Crang
Ace Pijper
Nathan Stoneman
Jacob Clouting
Jake Mulford

Alex Spooner

The only issue faced is that fans of these clubs won't accept this kind of quality field, but will moan about Guests, doubling up/down and so fourth.

But it does give Credibility, obviously the sides in Div 2 could/should/would run 2nd half meetings which in theory replaces the NDL and there would always be some form of amateur or development league where some of these riders will double down for more track time etc.

23 hours ago, lisa-colette said:

And this is why when Matt Ford asked the fans what league to be in I didn't say this one. I remember one season seeing Swindon at Poole 4 times!!

So at the moment if I wanna see Berwick at Poole for example you have to go otherwise they might not be back down again. Whereas if you wanna see say Sheffield at BV you'll have a few to pick from! 

Best move for you dropping down, apart from a handful,  teams are made up of the same riders, we just pay more to watch them, being honest i would have dropped down a long time ago, more variety team wise and quite a few northern based clubs that would swell the gate with better away support, not being beholden to Poland  on your home race day is another bonus. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Charlieboy said:

You think that's bad... just wait until the CL Summer Trophy is decided in early November :rofl:

15 hours ago, RS50 said:

And on the subject of Tigers v Kings Lynn, the home league fixture , due to be raced on 12th May, but called off due to stadium unavailable ( why wasn't this checked prior to fixtures being agreed), still not re arranged, over 7 weeks after the call off. Why so long?

I think it was the same day as Nigel Pearsons funeral and a lot of our management were there so that might have had something to do with the cancellation!!!  He had close connections with Sheffield 

10 minutes ago, Charlieboy said:

I think it was the same day as Nigel Pearsons funeral and a lot of our management were there so that might have had something to do with the cancellation!!!  He had close connections with Sheffield 

Appreciate the Nigel Pearson situation, but the official story on the website only mentioned stadium availability. 

31 minutes ago, racers and royals said:

I expect we won all 13 :D

If not, I'll blame the team manager :rolleyes: