British Speedway Forum
BrizHeathen

He was a tough un

Gary Guglielmi

Any idea what he is doing now?

probably putting nothing but engine parts into his engine... ;)

GG was a good rider but sadly let himself down as many others tended to do round about the same time.

and you're right HG...he was hard as nails

Norbold....Think Ronnie Moore won the World Final with broken Toes, not a broken leg. Still amazing though.

My fondest memory of a "Toughie" was Colin Goody. Alway tough on the track, and always ready for a Punch up off the track. Seem to remember some good scraps between him and Les Owen......Those were the days... :lol:

A crash at Natestved in Denmark mid way through the 1954 season left Ronnie Moore with a leg in plaster and his knee broken in five places. After two months out of action Ronnie managed to qualify for his fifth World Final despite the handicap of a still mending leg. On World Final night itself he was wearing a metal brace to support his broken knee.

I have to put one of our home town heros in this thread. Chum Taylor.

Not the greatest rider in the whole world, but he certainly came back from some terrible injuries.

Apart from the usual assortment of broken bones that most riders endure during their career, Chum overcame nerve damage in his left shoulder that left him with a withered shoulder and a degree of paralysis in his arm. He also suffered a broken neck early in his career and continued riding once he had recovered!

Earlier in his life, he was almost accidently shot! The bullet just missed him and hit a friend standing near him, passing through his cheek!

He was almost not going to be here for all the pain that was to follow, because just before he was born, a stolen car crashed through the front fence of his parents home and knocked his mother down!

Inccidently, during a television interview, Chum nominated Barry Briggs as the toughest man he had ever seen in speedway.

crazy jack millen,brian foote,bobby mcneil,dave kennett and any eastern block riders from the 70's

well done brick, especially the eastern bloc riders from the 70's, all in the same mold as Vaclav Verner. I heard that ever since he got jumped by Googi at coventry, he always had a hammer nearby to make sure it never happened again. Just ask Middlo! 8)

on the subject ,i was just flicking through Briggo`s bio and along with Fundin he rated Ron How as a tough rider and also has a special mention for Hasse Holmqvist .Michanek is also rated a"hard customer".

I know this is from way back when - but, how about

Jimmy Squibb

Mike Broadbanks

Ivan, Briggo and Ove !!

I suppose they are all tough really.

You don't get to be a Speedway Rider unless you are.

D C

I worked for Jimmy Squibb over 20 years ago. He was in his mid sixties then and still as hard as nails. He was about 5'4" and yet drivers half his age and twice his size were terrified of him. I think he rode Speedway until he was in his fifties and when I knew him he was still driving Rallycross. He judged Split Waterman to be the toughest feller he knew ( as in hard - not a dirty rider) and although he generally had little time for modern riders he did rate Bruce Penhall as the most talented he had ever seen and Ivan Mauger the best all round rider.

I worked for Jimmy Squibb over 20 years ago. He was in his mid sixties then and still as hard as nails. He was about 5'4" and yet drivers half his age and twice his size were terrified of him. I think he rode Speedway until he was in his fifties and when I knew him he was still driving Rallycross.

Watched his Son round Lydden Circuit during a Rallycross championship and if he's anything to go by............. he must get his ambition from his Dad :approve:

Hope I've got these two names right from the 50/60's .. but I seem to remember these guys being as hard as nails on the track.

Harry Bastable and Charlie Barsby ... I'm sure Gem will correct me if I am wrong, but think that both rode for Leicester in the McKinlay/Elliott era.

Watched his Son round Lydden Circuit during a Rallycross championship and if he's anything to go by............. he must get his ambition from his Dad :approve:

In those days Barry was one of the best Rallycross drivers in Europe, I think he is still running a hotel in Torquay. I did hear that Jim had died a little while ago but don't know if that is true. It would be good if anybody knows for sure, he was a stroppy old bugger but I liked him and we got on pretty well most of the time.

Have to agree with all those who have nominated the late Jack Millen.

I well remember Ivor Brown and Harry Bastable from the Cradley Heath side of the 60s but how about Douglas 'get out ma bloody road' Templeton? :o:o

Eric Broadbelt

kenny Carter

Reg Wilson

Steve Gresham

Arnie Haley

Henny Kroeze

Gary Gugliemi

All Iron MEN. :angry:B)B):angry::angry:

would agree, Broadie, Carter, Wilson, Gresham and Guggi. However Henny and Arnold were actually quite civilised. B)