British Speedway Forum
arnieg

Spreading The Glory Around

We all knew the rules at the beginning, although think its fair to say Scunnys name was on the trophy months ago, everything seemed to fall into place for them since they were able to massively strengthen the side, meaning even barring their injurys the could adequately cover with decent guests and rider replacement, that together with a full home programme more or less, them being lucky to be able to run their fixtures and worky not, then Doyles injury just before the final....but you earn your luck in life so congratulations.

I hope next year it's seriously looked at as it means you can be very poor early season, make changes, scrape into the playoffs by finishing just above mid table (6th) and possibly win the league. I would seed the top team through to the final and have a play off between 2nd and 3rd to determine the other finalists.....that's if there has to be playoffs at all.

By all means have the league cup early season but make it so it dont count towards averages... Meaning poor teams don't/cant profit when the league starts....

• Like 3

Is it just me but are there more neutral fans in this section who agree that Newcastle should be champions than the neutrals in the Elite League snob section who agree Poole should be champions. :-)

Simple rules at the start of season, PL play off winners are PL champions, not difficult to understand. :neutral:

• Like 1

No posts from anyone on here will ruin my elation at winning the final! Can't wait to celebrate us being Premier League Champions on Friday night :-)

• Like 1

Thats funny we seemed to have the PL Championship trophy in our hands last night. We all knew the format at the start of the season ,like it or not. :approve:

You are completely correct,as others have said all the teams knew the rules in March,but Im of the old school,the team with the most points should be declared as PL Champions,if the BSPA then want to tag on some kind of trophy to keep any interest going then fair enough.

Change is always for the better.

Simple rules at the start of season, PL play off winners are PL champions, not difficult to understand. :neutral:

yes i understand I would be congratulating the scorpions if the Edinburgh , Workington match had took place.It doesn't sit right with me that a team gets to the final because Edinburgh ,Workington could,n't get a meeting on .Why does the season have to end on 31st October?

No posts from anyone on here will ruin my elation at winning the final!

Nor should it,like I posted earlier well done to everyone at Scunthorpe Speedway.

• Like 1

yes i understand I would be congratulating the scorpions if the Edinburgh , Workington match had took place.It doesn't sit right with me that a team gets to the final because Edinburgh ,Workington could,n't get a meeting on .Why does the season have to end on 31st October?

Workington victims of circumstance, not an ideal situation (i,m a Comets supporter) but there must be an official end to the season.

You can turn upside down,sideways,horizontal anyway you want, but Scunthorpe won the playoffs but afraid Newcastle won the league , take a good look at the table .....Bitter and twisted yes I am,sour grapes yep them anorl, you's got a by into the PLAYOFF final and I've tried everything but I can't offer my congrats :neutral:

Oh dear such a sad loser,have not heard such drivel from a female Worky fan for a least a day! :rofl:

I believe top of the table should be champions otherwise you defeat the object of having a league!

However, the rules are that the play-off winners are champions, end of! It's wrong to slate Scunthorpe, they won the trophy fair and square by the rules!

For a team that used to be ridiculed in the days when I used to go to Quibell Park and Ashbyville, I am pleased that they are now a ream that the league can use as an example of the sport being run in the right way.

Step by step they have accomplished their success by good honest hard work!

• Like 2

Isn't it ironic that the team finishing in 2nd won the league title in all 3 leagues?

Whilst I sympathise with the teams who finish top of the pile, but ultimately lose out (it happened to my team in '07) the rules were known at the start of the season and teams run their season accordingly.

Who's to say that a side would have (or wouldn't have) made team changes if the rules were different?

You just never know.

I personally think Play-Offs are here to stay for a while. With both Scunthorpe and Mildenhall winning their leagues by a single point, they are the sort of matches that fans will remember for a very long time.

That said, the PL Play-Off system was pretty awful and definitely needs some work for '13. There were too many matches, and too many teams. Should be 4 teams - 2 semi-finals over 2 legs, and a final again over 2 legs.

Congrats to Scunthorpe - worthy winners in my eyes.

• Like 1

The play offs decided the league title, this was decided at the PL AGM by the promoters, it wasnt something decided in September 2012 to help Scunthorpe out.

Newcastle finished top of the qualifying table on points but Scunthorpe & Somerset actually won one more match in the league than Newcastle anyway. As regards to the Edin/Worky play off match, that was a shame it wasnt run but the league had to finish some time, maybe the Edin/Ippo match on the Friday before this should have been changed but hey we've all struggled with the weather this season.

For next season I would like to see 1st vs 4th & 2nd vs 3rd from the league table, with the next 4 in the challenge shield, a big incentive to get into the top 8 rather than just finish outside the top 2. WIll also mean 2 less play offf matches & more chances of completing the fixtures.

We all knew the rules at the beginning, although think its fair to say Scunnys name was on the trophy months ago, everything seemed to fall into place for them since they were able to massively strengthen the side, meaning even barring their injurys the could adequately cover with decent guests and rider replacement, that together with a full home programme more or less, them being lucky to be able to run their fixtures and worky not, then Doyles injury just before the final....but you earn your luck in life so congratulations.

I hope next year it's seriously looked at as it means you can be very poor early season, make changes, scrape into the playoffs by finishing just above mid table (6th) and possibly win the league. I would seed the top team through to the final and have a play off between 2nd and 3rd to determine the other finalists.....that's if there has to be playoffs at all.

By all means have the league cup early season but make it so it dont count towards averages... Meaning poor teams don't/cant profit when the league starts....

Geez arson could you be less patronizing in your congratulations. I quite like your suggestions regards the first 3 teams but what happens if Newcastle win the qualifying league table & get beat in the play off final? are you going to bleat on again about the true champions being top of the qaulifying table. The likes of you, bri1966 & davidj do your teams an absolute diservice, the amount of crying & complaining must be embarrassing to the normal fans of your respective clubs.

• Like 1

Think we should round up the " team that topped the league are the rightful champions " and shove them on their own wee thread , where they can greet and moan till next March .

Let me congratulate Scunthorpe , their riders and fans on becoming Premier League Champions . And that's what the record books will show .

• Like 6

The play offs decided the league title, this was decided at the PL AGM by the promoters, it wasnt something decided in September 2012 to help Scunthorpe out.

Newcastle finished top of the qualifying table on points but Scunthorpe & Somerset actually won one more match in the league than Newcastle anyway. As regards to the Edin/Worky play off match, that was a shame it wasnt run but the league had to finish some time, maybe the Edin/Ippo match on the Friday before this should have been changed but hey we've all struggled with the weather this season.

For next season I would like to see 1st vs 4th & 2nd vs 3rd from the league table, with the next 4 in the challenge shield, a big incentive to get into the top 8 rather than just finish outside the top 2. WIll also mean 2 less play offf matches & more chances of completing the fixtures.

Geez arson could you be less patronizing in your congratulations. I quite like your suggestions regards the first 3 teams but what happens if Newcastle win the qualifying league table & get beat in the play off final? are you going to bleat on again about the true champions being top of the qaulifying table. The likes of you, bri1966 & davidj do your teams an absolute diservice, the amount of crying & complaining must be embarrassing to the normal fans of your respective clubs.

think you better check again?? I've no problem at all with losing in the play offs, they were the rules at the start of the season and I've never said otherwise, if I have please feel free to post it.....

Oh dear such a sad loser,have not heard such drivel from a female Worky fan for a least a day! :rofl:

Read my original post, "Bitter,Twisted and sour grapes" said so myself :P

Really :rolleyes: , absolute diservice to the Comets for saying we were hard done by not completing Edinburgh fixture....I think not :mad: . I would think there are a hell of alot more that thought the same at the club

Read my original post, "Bitter,Twisted and sour grapes" said so myself :P

Davidj, is it that difficult to post "Well done Scunthorpe Scorpions on winning the 2012 Premier League"? ;)

Let me show you how it's done. Well done Workington Comets on winning the Premier League pairs this season.

See - it's easy. :P

It you're finding it difficult, then spend 12 months practising, so that you can congratulate Scunny when we win the 2013 Premier League. :cheers::drink::t:

All the best

Rob

• Like 2