British Speedway Forum
lionking

Worst Presenters

Do you mean announcer as in results from the box or presenter like Rob does at Scunthorpe ??

The presenter. I think. Who's the one at Leicester who waffles on forever about rubbish. I switched off very quickly to listening to him last time at Leicester, which is why I'm a bit vague.

I much preferred the tractor driver who was going around at around 0.05mph, at which point Glyn Taylor jumped into the tractor and pushed the other guy aside! That was much more entertaining!!

All the best

Rob

I used to go to Oxford most weeks in the Nielsen days, he was on the mic in the middle of the races he knows his speedway but he was a poor presenter.

Nonsense. Yorkie got the whole crowd buzzing at Oxford in the 1980s. Actually those days, we were buzzing even before he started. But he got us going even more.

As general manager at Birmingham, a co-promoter at Oxford, and manager of the BSPA, he's probably the most knowledgeable mic man there's ever been.

We never gave Yorkie any stick. We treated his sucessor at Cowley, Mike Bennett, slighlty less kindly (I think poor old Mike, who isn't that bad to be fair, lists his time at Oxford as one of the low points of his time in speedway). :wink:

All the best

Rob

The presenter. I think. Who's the one at Leicester who waffles on forever about rubbish. I switched off very quickly to listening to him last time at Leicester, which is why I'm a bit vague.

I much preferred the tractor driver who was going around at around 0.05mph, at which point Glyn Taylor jumped into the tractor and pushed the other guy aside! That was much more entertaining!!

All the best

Rob

Nonsense. Yorkie got the whole crowd buzzing at Oxford in the 1980s. Actually those days, we were buzzing even before he started. But he got us going even more.

As general manager at Birmingham, a co-promoter at Oxford, and manager of the BSPA, he's probably the most knowledgeable mic man there's ever been.

We never gave Yorkie any stick. We treated his sucessor at Cowley, Mike Bennett, slighlty less kindly (I think poor old Mike, who isn't that bad to be fair, lists his time at Oxford as one of the low points of his time in speedway). :wink:

All the best

Rob

He didn't get the crowd buzzing when i went people got restless i used to go in the new stand which then was a superb complex.But as someone else said for me he was to much he was to overpowering and commentating in the middle of the races Na not for me.He obviously is a knowledgable man and i am an old fart who is stuck in his ways but his style certainly now is old news have that with crap music a recipe for disaster time to move on.

Phew! i thought you were in line for the "you are the one millionth person to open a discussion on tv presenters" and i didn't open it lol. Didn't realize it was stadium ones, i'll follow this one now :t:

He didn't get the crowd buzzing when i went people got restless i used to go in the new stand which then was a superb complex.But as someone else said for me he was to much he was to overpowering and commentating in the middle of the races Na not for me.He obviously is a knowledgable man and i am an old fart who is stuck in his ways but his style certainly now is old news have that with crap music a recipe for disaster time to move on.

............keep letting them rip on this subject
  • Like 1

Peter York offends me (but I guess I am one of the pc brigade so no surprise there). He'll do things like shove a microphone in the face of a child in the crowd, ask them something, then take the mickey out of their answer, or just copy what they said in a "thicko" style voice.

He may well know his speedway, but he makes constant bad decisions.

Like deciding to do a Coventry Bees war cry in the 2007 play-off final while Lee Richardson was being placed into an ambulance with an oxygen mask over his face.

Edited by grachan
  • Like 1

I'm still waiting for a 'Give us a 'D', Give us an 'I''. Then again perhaps I am too old fashioned. :sad::blink:

The bloke at Glasgow tried that the other week. I can't possibly repeat some of the responses from the mob on the back straight.

Peter York wins any "worst presenter" award. And he's only been doing the job for 30+ years.

Agree completely. I am not a big fan of Coventry Speedway full stop and he is one of the reasons why.

To me, there are 5 must have's for a good announcer (but you get away with the first 3).

In order, they are: Act like you are there for the crowds benefit, not the other way around; know your speedway; don't keep sodding things up; be a good interviewer; be funny.

York falls at the first hurdle, that bloke at Sheffield at the second. The best straight man is Plymouth's Graham Hambly. Rob Godfrey at Scunthorpe is superb but for me the best of the lot is Mildenhall's Kevin Long.

Like deciding to do a Coventry Bees war cry in the 2007 play-off final while Lee Richardson was being placed into an ambulance with an oxygen mask over his face.

Lets be honest, theres never a good time for a war cry!

Peter Yorke might have been good back in the 70's and 80's but he should move over now to be honest. Chris Simpson who does the Coventry Storm is good he does not waffle on like Peter and he goes in asks the riders good questions and keep the fans updated with what's happening on the track and in the pits etc. Porky at Wolves is not bad he keeps the fans entertained and the children. I have not been to Stoke for a couple of years but when I did George I think his name was?? was the centre green presenter and he has to be one of the worse I have seen as he just looks like he wants to be anywhere but there!

The bloke at Glasgow tried that the other week. I can't possibly repeat some of the responses from the mob on the back straight.

Agree completely. I am not a big fan of Coventry Speedway full stop and he is one of the reasons why.

To me, there are 5 must have's for a good announcer (but you get away with the first 3).

In order, they are: Act like you are there for the crowds benefit, not the other way around; know your speedway; don't keep sodding things up; be a good interviewer; be funny.

York falls at the first hurdle, that bloke at Sheffield at the second. The best straight man is Plymouth's Graham Hambly. Rob Godfrey at Scunthorpe is superb but for me the best of the lot is Mildenhall's Kevin Long.

Graham Hambly was brilliant in his time at Swindon and the guy in the 70s i think his name was Graham Guthrie? I am not sure ( Grachan will know?)a no frills kind of man but a great presenter.

Graham Hambly was brilliant in his time at Swindon and the guy in the 70s i think his name was Graham Guthrie? I am not sure ( Grachan will know?)a no frills kind of man but a great presenter.

The first ever meeting I went to at Swindon was Swindon v Wolves in 1974. At that meeting they announced that Graham Guthrie had died! The presenter that night and for a long time after was called John Sutton I think.

The first ever meeting I went to at Swindon was Swindon v Wolves in 1974. At that meeting they announced that Graham Guthrie had died! The presenter that night and for a long time after was called John Sutton I think.

I thought you went before that Grachan, John Sutton god i had forgot him spot on.Guthrie i really first took notice of him at the 1973 New Zealand v Sweden test match he was one of those announcers that he was that good you took him for granted at the job he did a real compliment in itself.

Scott Wilson at Edinburgh persists in announcing the result of tight finishes, prior to the referee's official verdict.

That's plain bad manners and if the ref were to fine him for such actions, it might stop him doing so.

Porky is dreadful I can just about put up with the drivel between races but not the last lap commentary, that should be outlawed

Scott Wilson at Edinburgh persists in announcing the result of tight finishes, prior to the referee's official verdict.

That's plain bad manners and if the ref were to fine him for such actions, it might stop him doing so.

Mr Barrie at Berwick tells us about the race we`ve just watched,like we dont know what was going on. :blink:

• Like 1

I think Dick Barrie is very good. Always tries to get the crowd going - and I don't mean going home!!

• Like 2