British Speedway Forum
moxey63

Peter Collins In The Star

I don't see him exactly endorsing what we have now but. To yearn for the past it to ignore the future. Life moves on, and so should others on here.

Don't think many fans would endorse what we are seeing now.,very interesting times ahead regarding EL especially .

I wonder if he pays to get in to speedway meetings?

In over forty years of watching Speedway no rider has ever entertained me more with his remarkable ability on the bike than Peter Collins. A gentleman on and off track, a superb ambassador for the sport, recipient of the prestigious Segrave Trophy, honoured by the Queen and a thoroughly-deserved World Champion cruelly denied a realistic chance of defending his title by the crassness of a badly-placed drain cover at the old Belle Vue that shattered his leg.

The man gave me more pleasure and excitement than almost any other sportsman I have been lucky enough to watch.

He is simply the most entertaining Speedway racer I have ever seen and if I could I would personally pay for him to watch any meeting he desires. I'm sure I'm not alone.

Stupid, stupid comments from someone who clearly knows a lot less about our sport than he thinks.

Edited by rmc
  • Like 9

Peters no different to any speedway rider past or present none of them pay and why should they.

There is a quote to the effect "There is no future if you do not recognise the past" - or words to that effect.

There is also a quote:

"Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it" - George Santayana

Perhaps we should learn from our History in Speedway. It was certainly better than the present.

• Like 2

There is also a quote:

"Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it" - George Santayana

Perhaps we should learn from our History in Speedway. It was certainly better than the present.

Those who decry learning from the past - where has 'only look forward' thinking got us? It's hardly a healthy situation now. The trick is to learn from the past, try to re-create what was successful but not to live in it.

Here's a few things from the past that I miss and would love to see a modern version of:

Larger crowds

More tracks

Promotions making money

Better (no, not perfect, it never was) racing - with riders going for the outside sweep having a fair chance

Weekly speedway

Close-fought test matches

Appreciation of speedway for the racing and entertainment rather than just the winning

Affordable speedway.

Yes, the past is irrelevant isn't it. How can we possibly learn from times when the sport was successful?

• Like 2

Well the rules are again a farce!

Line them up close to the tapes 6 inches?

When under starters orders if anybody touches the tapes they are out?

Simple

Happy Christmas all

M

Edited by Mixy230

Those who decry learning from the past - where has 'only look forward' thinking got us? It's hardly a healthy situation now. The trick is to learn from the past, try to re-create what was successful but not to live in it.

Here's a few things from the past that I miss and would love to see a modern version of:

Larger crowds

More tracks

Promotions making money

Better (no, not perfect, it never was) racing - with riders going for the outside sweep having a fair chance

Weekly speedway

Close-fought test matches

Appreciation of speedway for the racing and entertainment rather than just the winning

Affordable speedway.

Yes, the past is irrelevant isn't it. How can we possibly learn from times when the sport was successful?

Regarding the above, larger crowds, more tracks, weekly speedway will only come if Speedway becomes more popular. Promotions making money, in even the 'so called' good years, I am not sure many promoters ever did make money. Close-fought test matches, surely that is down to the strength of the touring team, pitched against Great Britain? Not necessarily a sign of the times. Better racing, slick tracks have been blamed and slated for years now. Appreciation of Speedway, I think people who love the sport, only want the best for it, whatever the team. Affordable Speedway. I personally think this is key to all the other items mentioned. Costs need to be reduced for everybody, riders, promoters and fans. If that could be 'got right', I feel Speedway could grow. In the past, I do think Speedway was more affordable for the riders, promoters and fans. Riders of the past, a lot of years ago now, I know, had just one bike. If you have 2 bikes, the cost must be enormous nowadays. Add in special transport vehicles and not a bracket on the back of the car or a bike trailer and the cost is massive. Fuel prices have greatly increased for both riders and fans.

"Drop a cog" post="2388426" timestamp="1387832997"]

I can just imagine you telling us Bill Gates' opinion on computing isn't worth as much as my Mum's because he might not have paid for a computer recently and my Mum bought an ipad last month, lol!

Peter Collins was better than riding a Speedway bike than most but as how the sport should be ran his opinion is the same as the next person ..

All we have here is some old bloke who likes gravy on Chips being stuck in the past .Of course the ones who agree with him are the same sort of people .

I agree with that.

It would have been more informative if SS had published an interview with someone like Chris Morton or John and Chris Louis.. They have ridden at the top level and have also seen at first hand the problems of running a speedway club in the modern world.

Edited by E I Addio

Unlike PC who saved the club when Hyde Road was demolished, found a new home, designed the track from scratch (easily the best track inside a dog track until it was dug up in 2005) and was co-promoter during, arguably the most difficult period in the history of Belle Vue speedway.

Good point well made, not!

The point was running a speedway club in the modern world. Not sure why PC's opinion should be revered any more than Chris Morton's or Chris Louis who have to find a way of making the books balance in the speedway world of 2014, or for that matter ex-riders like Rosco or Muddlo. who still have a day-to-day hands on role.

All PC has done is to articulate the views of certain fans, but that still doesn't make those views more valid than those who disagree. You can bet your life SS won't provide any balance by publishing an interview with a senior figure in the sport with an opposing view, or an explanation of why things are as they are.

Just to take up the point about riders being called back ,for example, yes, it is frustrating for the fans when a start gets called back but the real reason is that riders all too often DO jump the start and if they were too stay still the majority of false starts wouldn't happen. The trouble is certain fans think they have a better view of who is rolling and who isn't from 50 or 100 metres away than from the refs box which is usually the best view in the stadium, and this are the same ones that only want top see one side of the problem. I would love to see an interview with someone like Mick Bates, an ex-rider now a ref giving his thoughts on the subject, but of course SS would never publish anything like that because their readership now seems to consist almost entirely of the "bring back the old days brigade" who are only interested in one side of the argument.

I don't think anyone is suggesting that Mort, Rosco (not sure about Middlo TBH), or the two Louis' input or opinion isn't valid, are they. But to suggest the view of one of the most revered figures in speedway, someone who has done everything, spectator, rider and promoter and by the way, saved one of the most famous clubs in the world from extinction, doesn't have something to offer is as stupid as it is ignorant.

To suggest his opinion isn't valid, that he is living in the past and that the points he raised are irrelevant is ridiculous. Speedway is in such a great position compared to 20, 30 and 40 years ago, isn't it? Clearly the promoters of today have got it absolutely right and someone like PC has nothing to offer. Right.

Finally, to call one of the finest exponents of speedway, EVER, an old northern bloke who likes chips and gravy is a gross insult and that person should be absolutely ashamed of themselves. Not sure who said it, but I would also happily pay the £17 to any track where he watches his speedway. The sport needs him like it needs most of the rules PC referred to.

• Like 9

I don't think anyone is suggesting that Mort, Rosco (not sure about Middlo TBH), or the two Louis' input or opinion isn't valid, are they. But to suggest the view of one of the most revered figures in speedway, someone who has done everything, spectator, rider and promoter and by the way, saved one of the most famous clubs in the world from extinction, doesn't have something to offer is as stupid as it is ignorant.

To suggest his opinion isn't valid, that he is living in the past and that the points he raised are irrelevant is ridiculous. Speedway is in such a great position compared to 20, 30 and 40 years ago, isn't it? Clearly the promoters of today have got it absolutely right and someone like PC has nothing to offer. Right.

Finally, to call one of the finest exponents of speedway, EVER, an old northern bloke who likes chips and gravy is a gross insult and that person should be absolutely ashamed of themselves. Not sure who said it, but I would also happily pay the £17 to any track where he watches his speedway. The sport needs him like it needs most of the rules PC referred to.

WELL said.

I couldn't agree more. PC has experience of all sides of Speedway. To treat his views with such contempt is not only pathetic, I believe it shows ignorance too.

As for the insult - well - I would far rather hear from PC than whoever quoted the 'Chips and Gravy' remark.

Very RUDE, very INSULTING - I don't think an apology would go amiss.

Good post.

I don't see him exactly endorsing what we have now but. To yearn for the past it to ignore the future. Life moves on, and so should others on here.

Totally wrong ok life moves on but you have to sometimes shrive to emulate what has happened in the past.That is the benchmark for me now to be honest the sport looks out on its feet certainly in the EL the Premier looks ok.As for PC god you have to listen ok you don't have to agree with everything he says but i listen to every word he contributes (ie) a great rider and has seen thing,s from every angle.